Offensive Line

BTChamp

Reaction score
I'm watching a replay of the Maryland game. At 12.05 in the 3rd quarter. 2nd and 4. Sam lines up outside Daniel on the right side. Has anyone noticed this before? Looking right side, Schmitz center, Dunlap Guard, Faalele Tackle, and Schlueter outside Dan. Ko Kieft outside Sam and off the line.
They may have done this 100 times already, but I just noticed it for the 1st time. The U was up 28-3 and had control. This cannot be the first time they rolled this out, especially in that situation.
Anyone that looks closer at these things see this before? I like it, I just find it different and more things for opposing defenses to think about.

EDIT: It was a Wildcat (Greencat) play, so that might explain it.

Last edited:

I'm watching a replay of the Maryland game. At 12.05 in the 3rd quarter. 2nd and 4. Sam lines up outside Daniel on the right side. Has anyone noticed this before? Looking right side, Schmitz center, Dunlap Guard, Faalele Tackle, and Schlueter outside Dan. Ko Kieft outside Sam and off the line.
They may have done this 100 times already, but I just noticed it for the 1st time. The U was up 28-3 and had control. This cannot be the first time they rolled this out, especially in that situation.
Anyone that looks closer at these things see this before? I like it, I just find it different and more things for opposing defenses to think about.

EDIT: It was a Wildcat (Greencat) play, so that might explain it.

Didn't notice this but not totally shocked. Adding JMS to the O-Line rotation has really opened up some options and we have a bunch of guys that can play multiple positions. Makes sense to get all 6 of them on the field from time to time and Schlueter has played some TE so would be the most natural fit to line up outside of a tackle.

The rotating we are doing with the O-Line is not common (at least in terms of what I have ever been around) but it seems to be working really well.

Were Olson and Andries on the left side of the line? IE, was it a six OL formation, or was Schlueter shifted over and there was no true left OT? (maybe they had a TE there, to give the look?)

Last season they did experiment with having Schlueter wear a TE number jersey and essentially using him as a sixth OL.

I haven't noticed it this year, but I do recall Schleuter lining up as a blocking TE last season. It does make sense, especially if they are lined up in the Wildcat formation.

Were Olson and Andries on the left side of the line? IE, was it a six OL formation, or was Schlueter shifted over and there was no true left OT? (maybe they had a TE there, to give the look?)

Last season they did experiment with having Schlueter wear a TE number jersey and essentially using him as a sixth OL.

Yes Olson and Andries on the left. What I was getting at is "Is this line that mobile and interchangeable" that this line can do so many special things?

The reason I brought it up was seeing 3 (I call them All-Americans) on 1 side of the line. I'm thinking holy crap, they have something special!!!!

Yes, they've gone with 6 OL multiple times near the goal line the past 2 weeks (at least). Pretty smart formation. Pulls so many people into the box that teams must man up outside...which is a tough task on RB13 and TJ6. Of course, if you keep a safety out there, you've now got 7 or 8 gigantic blockers (including Kieft and Paulson) mauling inside and can run it.

I recall the Seahawks going with 6OL last year as a thing they'd run in the middle of the field on normal downs, not just short yardage.

I'm not a rules expert, but are you allowed to have six OL numbers on the LOS? Or maybe they simply never even try to make Schlueter eligible and it is known he would never need to be covered. Looked at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tackle-eligible_play#College_football so I guess you can, in that case.

[sarcasm]Not like it's really much different than our normal offense, where the TE never does anything but block[/sarcasm]

Yes, they've gone with 6 OL multiple times near the goal line the past 2 weeks (at least). Pretty smart formation. Pulls so many people into the box that teams must man up outside...which is a tough task on RB13 and TJ6. Of course, if you keep a safety out there, you've now got 7 or 8 gigantic blockers (including Kieft and Paulson) mauling inside and can run it.
Thank you. That's the insight I was looking for. I know if they have 6 O-linemen almost nobody can stop Green on the wildcat, but what makes me excited is how much more they can do from this.
It gets back to "Are they this good to be able to interchange and dominate basically any fashion they want?" This could be a very special group of linemen. If Sam is good enough to go from the left side to outside of Dan (glorified tight end) on the right side, and then Minnesota follows it up with Ko as the actual tight end, this is special.

I’m not sure where I heard the stat but most of our long runs came off outside zone blocking during Big Ten play. As they continue to add more wrinkles Rodney and Co are going to have more creases. Love this offense.

Top Bottom