Gophers football success makes P.J. Fleck a hot commodity on college coaching market

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Fleck’s $3.6 million salary for this season ranks 37th among all 130 FBS coaches and 11th of 14 coaches in the Big Ten Conference, according to USA Today.

Given the history of late fall/early winter contract extensions, Coyle and new University of Minnesota President Joan Gabel could be preparing to offer another re-up for Fleck, possibly timed with the Board of Regents meeting scheduled for Dec. 12-13.

Purdue hired Jeff Brohm as Boilermakers coach about a month before the Gophers hired Fleck. Brohm signed a similar contract, at $19.8 million for six years. But ahead of this season, he earned a new contract worth $36.8 million through 2025. Fleck could garner something similar, as the Gophers have beaten Purdue in each of the past two seasons.

Coyle does not typically address coaches’ contract statuses publicly during the season, but in the statement, he said the pair “will continue to have conversations” about Fleck’s long-term future leading the program.

Despite the terms of his current contract, Fleck could still leave after this season, as long as he pays the school his $4 million buyout. And with potential job openings at SEC schools such as Arkansas and South Carolina or traditional powerhouses such as Southern California, Fleck likely will be a candidate for some of the highest-profile jobs in the country.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...V7fRJM4D0w+WzkhEREvZrh8zzWHLbO+ZXKBLbJ2l1Sxg=

Go Gophers!!

The only job that I see PJ leaving for is USC. Of all the jobs, most likely to be open, it’s the best available so it will have plenty of suitors. Arkansas is trash in a crap city, South Carolina would be a lateral move. Coyle and the board will pony up the $ and he’ll be here next year. Good thing we don’t have to worry about his Alma Mater poaching him.

Give him a million dollar raise if he wins the division. Promise him another million dollar raise if he can do it twice.

I'd offer PJ $5.2 million per year. And add $500,000+ to his assistant coaches pool.

Give him a million dollar raise if he wins the division. Promise him another million dollar raise if he can do it twice.

That's pretty funny.

We want to insult the coach who lifted our football program out of the doldrums?

How about this: put some professionals on the case, analyzing the market while the AD continues discussions with the coach, in order to get a feel for his thinking.

Then make an offer that shows Fleck you value his services (in proportion to his success to date, and to market forces).

Oh, and one more thing... don't dawdle.

IMO, there is no point in paying the head coach $5 mil+ if we don't give him the money to pay his Asst Coaches and the money for top notch recruiting. Has to be a complete package...and a smart head coach will give up a bit of salary for the other two pools of money or move to a college that has all three. We need to add $1 mil plus to his annual salary, up his deferred money and his asst pool by 1/2 a mil and increase his budget for recruiting by at least $250k. Time to compete while we have a coach that gets the job done and is leading in all facets of life - not just winning but building good human beings that graduate and lead in the community. Hate the sayings, get the message. Row the Boat, Ski U Mah!

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Get PJ into the top 10.
Brohm is.
What's worse is PJ had to listen to our media for 3 years talk about how Brohm was better.

PJ is out-performing Brohm. They are even in conference games. PJ has won all of his non-conference games.
PJ is also out-performing another peer who was hired that year in Tom Herman.

Pay the man his money before we end up with Gus Malzahn as our next coach.

Get PJ into the top 10.
Brohm is.
What's worse is PJ had to listen to our media for 3 years talk about how Brohm was better.

PJ is out-performing Brohm. They are even in conference games. PJ has won all of his non-conference games.

+1. I'm on board for PJ being paid in the top 10. Not only for the performance on the field but everything he has done to promote the program and has the kids doing off the field also.

Get PJ into the top 10.
Brohm is.

The only way for Purdue to get/keep any hot/top HC is to seriously overpay...which they did.

+1. I'm on board for PJ being paid in the top 10. Not only for the performance on the field but everything he has done to promote the program and has the kids doing off the field also.

Yep.

This should be a no-brainer, git-er-done kind of deal.

But... Minnesota. The Land of "Hold Your Horses, Now!"

If we have to go through another coaching change this soon, a lot of casual fans will just check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me start by saying I am all for doing whatever it takes to lock Fleck up long term here.

That said, the level he will be coveted as a hot coaching commodity will depend a lot on how the team finishes the season. Worst case scenario, we go 0-4 or 1-3 to close things out and Fleck's name will not have nearly as much buzz associated with it for top jobs somewhere else.

I have no doubt that Coyle will do what needs to be done to keep Fleck here or at the very least will make him the best offer that we can. And personally I think Fleck will want to stay here because he has a good thing going and the potential to be a legend here as opposed to being just another coach somewhere else.

If we make a great offer and he leaves anyway then it is what it is but I can see Fleck wanting to settle in here long term. Hopefully he will be a hot commodity because it will mean we are doing really well and hopefully the administration steps up and gets it done to keep him here.

That’s not good.

Read the story, Cincinnati went after Brohm, Fleck and Strong. Brohm took the Purdue job, Fleck told them he was not interested in a non power 5 gig and Strong ended up at South Florida. Fleck was the hot name in 2017 so yeah I am sure many ADs that had openings went after him. Just because this guy is going to USC doesn't mean that Fleck is going to be just dying to follow him.

Guess until Fleck is locked up we are going to read baseless speculation like this. Again, we are a Big Ten school so if we choose to pay the way a Big Ten school can there is little reason to think Fleck will be in a massive hurry to leave and go start over somewhere else.

I believe Fleck when he says he loves it here and isn't going anywhere. He isn't afraid to be a legend and won't be a legend if he goes to a helmet school that has already established themselves. He can be a legend at Minnesota.

What would you do if you're the AD? Getting an additional $3M in to the football budget is needed, and that investment will result in keeping Fleck and eventually pay for itself with increased ticket revenue and contributions to the U. But where does the money come from today? They have to pay down the debt on the Athletic Village, and they're looking at funding improvements to other venues. Do you hold off on making those improvements at Mariucci or Williams (which are also revenue generating teams)? Do you bite the bullet and cut a couple non-revenue programs like men's and woman's gymnastics? Woman's rowing is an expensive sport that and we are not competitive. You could cut that and replace it with an inexpensive woman's sport, like bowling. Maybe drop the name Mariucci and Williams to get a corporate name, such as Best Buy arena, and the funds that come with those naming rights. Saying yep, pay him more is easy. Where the money comes from is the harder part of the equation. And the answer is not boosters, they're already targeting boosters as much as they can, and I doubt having the athletic dept take a loan from the U to pay for increased budgets is going to get approved. So what do you do to get those funds today?

Last edited:

What would you do if you're the AD? Getting an additional $3M in to the football budget is needed, and that investment will result in keeping Fleck and eventually pay for itself with increased ticket revenue and contributions to the U. But where does the money come from today? They have to pay down the debt on the Athletic Village, and they're looking at funding improvements to other venues. Do you hold off on making those improvements at Mariucci or Williams? Do you bite the bullet and cut a couple non-revenue programs like men's and woman's gymnastics? Woman's rowing is an expensive sport that and we are not competitive. You could cut that and replace it with an inexpensive woman's sport, like bowling.

Keeping a good coach isn’t really a net loss.

I believe Fleck when he says he loves it here and isn't going anywhere. He isn't afraid to be a legend and won't be a legend if he goes to a helmet school that has already established themselves. He can be a legend at Minnesota.

The second part of the bolded....he didn’t say that.

The second part of the bolded....he didn’t say that.

Noted. But I believe the first and will extrapolate the 2nd. Life it too short to get worried about things you can't control.

I believe Fleck when he says he loves it here and isn't going anywhere. He isn't afraid to be a legend and won't be a legend if he goes to a helmet school that has already established themselves. He can be a legend at Minnesota

this is a bad take that i’ve seen on this board. you think saban was thinking he was going to be overshadowed by bear bryant if he went to alabama? i love minnesota, but it is much easier to become legendary at a helmet school. i can list you dozens of low to mid tier teams that have had decent to great runs in the last 20 years, but who don’t have a legitimate chance at a championship. you take over a helmet school you have a legitimate chance to win a championship every year.

i hope fleck finishes out the year strong and builds momentum. but having one year with a favorable schedule does not a dynasty make. if fleck does finish out the season at the highest of my expectations, it’s still gonna take decades for minnesota to get to wisconsin level.

Noted. But I believe the first and will extrapolate the 2nd. Life it too short to get worried about things you can't control.

Dude, this is Gopherhole, wisdom like that does not apply. :)

this is a bad take that i’ve seen on this board. you think saban was thinking he was going to be overshadowed by bear bryant if he went to alabama? i love minnesota, but it is much easier to become legendary at a helmet school. i can list you dozens of low to mid tier teams that have had decent to great runs in the last 20 years, but who don’t have a legitimate chance at a championship. you take over a helmet school you have a legitimate chance to win a championship every year.

i hope fleck finishes out the year strong and builds momentum. but having one year with a favorable schedule does not a dynasty make. if fleck does finish out the season at the highest of my expectations, it’s still gonna take decades for minnesota to get to wisconsin level.

“If fleck does finish out the season at the highest of my expectations, it’s still gonna take decades for minnesota to get to wisconsin level.”

Decades? I think we’re already pretty close to Wisconsin level, tbh. But, we’d most definitely take a step back with another coaching change.

Last edited:

I just did a Twitter search for PJ Fleck and scrolled through just the last several hours. It’s filled with fans of various programs wanting Fleck as their coach...Notre Dame, USC, Alabama(when Saban retires), Rutgers, Michigan State, etc.

This is why I think it would be wise for Coyle to lock him up now. It’s potentially a huge distraction for his team and recruits. Also, if Coyle waits, he risks the price tag going up considerably.

????????????????????????

The bolded part: Good grief. You can't possibly be serious.

“If fleck does finish out the season at the highest of my expectations, it’s still gonna take decades for minnesota to get to wisconsin level.”

Decades? I think we’re already pretty close to Wisconsin level, tbh. But, we’d most definitely take a step back with another coaching change.

well, we’ve beaten wisconsin 7 times in the last 30 years. 3 times is the last 20 years. if you think beating them once puts us almost on the same level, that’s fine. however, i’m willing to bet you that if minnesota wins the west, wisconsin will still be ranked higher in the preseason polls next year.

Top Bottom