Gophers football success makes P.J. Fleck a hot commodity on college coaching market

I just did a Twitter search for PJ Fleck and scrolled through just the last several hours. It’s filled with fans of various programs wanting Fleck as their coach...Notre Dame, USC, Alabama(when Saban retires), Rutgers, Michigan State, etc.

This is why I think it would be wise for Coyle to lock him up now. It’s potentially a huge distraction for his team and recruits. Also, if Coyle waits, he risks the price tag going up considerably.

Anyone here who thinks that Fleck isn't going to be in demand is fooling themselves.

Perception: Minnesota has long been a bottom-rung B1G team, and Fleck has energized the program and taken it to national prominence for the first time in generations.

He's done an unprecedented job building a moribund program, against all odds. He's worked a miracle. He's young, positive, and energetic.

He'll be in demand. Better count on that.

I just did a Twitter search for PJ Fleck and scrolled through just the last several hours. It’s filled with fans of various programs wanting Fleck as their coach...Notre Dame, USC, Alabama(when Saban retires), Rutgers, Michigan State, etc.

This is why I think it would be wise for Coyle to lock him up now. It’s potentially a huge distraction for his team and recruits. Also, if Coyle waits, he risks the price tag going up considerably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't really think the price tag part should be the reason to lock him up. Heck look at Purdue right now, they paid through the roof to keep Brohm and this year has been a disaster for them. Not saying it was the wrong decision but it certainly hasn't worked out well so far.

The market for top tier coaches is pretty much set (although the numbers keep shifting and expanding to ridiculous amounts). If the U believes Fleck is a legit candidate for some of the top jobs and wants to keep him they will have to pay in those upper tiers to get it done. Not like they can just offer a small bump now and put this all to bed.

Increase the salary, years and buyout to the best we are able. If he still leaves it is what it is and it would have been impossible to keep him anyway in that scenario.

????????????????????????

The bolded part: Good grief. You can't possibly be serious.

there hasnt been a season in the last 20 years in which the badgers havent been ranked, including numerous times top 5 in nation. they have a heisman and multiple heisman candidates, 13 all-americans, 32 players in the nfl.

yes, it is going to take decades for minnesota to be in that same conversation.

That’s not good.

USC is getting either Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops. The only ones that worry my are Michigan and ND and I don't think either are opening this year.

They absolutely need to do an extension ASAP right after the Wisconsin game. But not before.

At the moment USC is the alpha dog program rumored to be looking to replace their coach, but let's be realistic, Urban Meyer is the alpha dog coach they (and everyone else) will covet. What other programs of national prominence then would be interested in PJ that would represent the next step up in his career? If Harbaugh willingly separates from Michigan that could be one, but off the top of my head I can't think of any other realistic options for PJ to leave Minnesota.

Anyone here who thinks that Fleck isn't going to be in demand is fooling themselves.

Perception: Minnesota has long been a bottom-rung B1G team, and Fleck has energized the program and taken it to national prominence for the first time in generations.

He's done an unprecedented job building a moribund program, against all odds. He's worked a miracle. He's young, positive, and energetic.

He'll be in demand. Better count on that.

I guess the question is this - would these schools that are going after him be willing to out pay the U regardless what the U pays? At some point, the U could pay him $20 mil a year and someone could come in and pay him $21. And if all this turns out to be a smoke screen, then it's money down the drain.

Remember how Kill was going to be hired away? And Brew (if only!)? And Mason?

Again, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a raise (I think he does), but to think that bumping his pay to $5 mil a year (or whatever) is magically going to stop other schools is foolish. At some point the U needs to pay him "the right amount" based on his success here, etc. and come up with a contingency plan just in case some other school decides to go all in. There just isn't a way the U can pay him enough to legitimately "lock him up".

It is very basic. It takes money to spend money. Business 101 is you need enough revenue to pay your bills and make a profit on top of that. We have redundant venues for all our sports, cannot get 50k in our prime sport campus venue and nobody steps up with endorsements for our coaches. We have too many sports that are non revenue and we all know you have to be fair and have a team for everyone. Coyle needs to get over to Target, Medica, and any other high profile place and get Fleck an endorsement.
All this winning must result in some more revenue to pay a coach a top 15 salary. Until then, we will not be able to pay. Given that, I believe Fleck does like it here and that is worth a lot to someone. Do not always assume people only chase money and disregard the rest. I think while he may get some interest, I do not see a location or situation that is better. Some of the mentioned spots are too big and others are just not exciting enough.

Mark Coyle will do everything he can to boost his pay and keep Coach Fleck at the U as long as possible. If he leaves, he leaves. I am here to enjoy the excellent 8-0 ride we're on right now and anxious to see the boys compete against Penn State next Saturday.

This will be an annual topic and one that is great to have because Gophers will be relevant if the discussion is taking place. Found this quote in writing after hearing it on KFAN the other day in an interview and question on future. Footballscoop makes a point about the last two words.

“My future at Minnesota is to make sure Minnesota is getting the attention that it deserves getting on a national level for our team, for our coaches, for our state, for our Twin Cities area,” Fleck told WCCO. “That’s my responsibility. And I know Heather [Fleck, his wife] and I absolutely love it here, and we’re very grateful to our fans and very grateful to our administration and very grateful to our community that have accepted us with open arms.

“And we’ve got a lot of things to finish here this year.

At the moment USC is the alpha dog program rumored to be looking to replace their coach, but let's be realistic, Urban Meyer is the alpha dog coach they (and everyone else) will covet. What other programs of national prominence then would be interested in PJ that would represent the next step up in his career? If Harbaugh willingly separates from Michigan that could be one, but off the top of my head I can't think of any other realistic options for PJ to leave Minnesota.

I don't follow the news. Does Meyer want back into coaching?

Seems that way. I think both him and Stoops will be back coaching next year.

Bob Stoops is the head coach and GM for the Dallas franchise of the XFL, this coming season.

It is very basic. It takes money to spend money. Business 101 is you need enough revenue to pay your bills and make a profit on top of that. We have redundant venues for all our sports, cannot get 50k in our prime sport campus venue and nobody steps up with endorsements for our coaches. We have too many sports that are non revenue and we all know you have to be fair and have a team for everyone. Coyle needs to get over to Target, Medica, and any other high profile place and get Fleck an endorsement.
All this winning must result in some more revenue to pay a coach a top 15 salary. Until then, we will not be able to pay. Given that, I believe Fleck does like it here and that is worth a lot to someone. Do not always assume people only chase money and disregard the rest. I think while he may get some interest, I do not see a location or situation that is better. Some of the mentioned spots are too big and others are just not exciting enough.

The part in bold is one that a lot of people overlook. They just assume that if someone offers more money a coach is going to take it. In some cases that might be true but it doesn't have to be the case. Look at a guy like Chris Peterson, I don't know any specifics but I would be shocked if he wasn't offered more money by a number of places to leave Boise State well before he finally did in 2014 to go to Washington.

Smart coaches look at more then just the $$$. The location needs to be a good fit for them or their tenure there will be super short and they will be back on the unemployment lines looking for a new school. If Fleck continues this run there will almost certainly be offers out there for more money then what the U will be willing to pay but there is no guarantee he will take them as long as the U treats him and his assistants fairly.

People seem to underestimate what the market is for hot coaching names - Fleck needs to be paid in the Frost/Brohm tier if we are serious about keeping him.

Agree. It may not take as much as Purdue paid Brohm but in the same ballpark. At this point it should be Fleck making the money and Brohm as a bottom feeder if we are going by comparative success.

Minnesota's athletic department revenue is in the top 30 nationally and should be able to afford a successful coach. Especially if that coach's success adds another $10M+ in fan attendance revenue and even more in TV revenue, donations, etc. If the basketball and hockey teams could get back to sustained success, that probably puts the athletic department revenues up near top 10.

BTW, Minnesota has more revenue than USC.

revenue by school 5.jpg

Last edited:

Fleck leaves...it will deflate this program (players and fans). The only coach replacement that will make us maybe forget PJ is Tony Dungy. No other replacements will generate much excitement.

Minnesota's athletic department revenue is in the top 30 nationally and should be able to afford a successful coach. Especially if that coach's success adds another $10M+ in fan attendance revenue and even more in TV revenue, donations, etc. If the basketball and hockey teams could get back to sustained success, that probably puts the athletic department revenues up near top 10.

View attachment 6452

I'm glad you posted this. I had no idea.

The uneducated perspective (mine up until moments go) was that we would never be able to truly pay a coach. We have the biggest game in almost two decades coming up and we haven't even sold out our relatively smaller stadium.

I'm glad you posted this. I had no idea.

The uneducated perspective (mine up until moments go) was that we would never be able to truly pay a coach. We have the biggest game in almost two decades coming up and we haven't even sold out our relatively smaller stadium.

Attendance is only a moderate piece of the total revenue we pull in. That Big Ten media contract is the big difference maker, and why all the full fledged Big Ten schools will show up high on those lists.

IMO, there is no point in paying the head coach $5 mil+ if we don't give him the money to pay his Asst Coaches and the money for top notch recruiting. Has to be a complete package...and a smart head coach will give up a bit of salary for the other two pools of money or move to a college that has all three. We need to add $1 mil plus to his annual salary, up his deferred money and his asst pool by 1/2 a mil and increase his budget for recruiting by at least $250k. Time to compete while we have a coach that gets the job done and is leading in all facets of life - not just winning but building good human beings that graduate and lead in the community. Hate the sayings, get the message. Row the Boat, Ski U Mah!

Pay the assistant coaches at competitively where they want to stay here long term. The success is not all PJ Fleck. This is a must.

View attachment 6455

This is an eye test.

This is an eye test.

Yeah. Sorry. Can't figure out how to enlarge the pic and actually have this website accept the upload.

Edit: try clicking on it again.

Attachments

• revenue by school 5.jpg
    revenue by school 5.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Yeah. Sorry. Can't figure out how to enlarge the pic and actually have this website accept the upload.

Edit: try clicking on it again.

Since Dabo is the highest paid coach in the country, and Clemson is $9 million below us on this list, they can’t really use money as an excuse for not paying Fleck whatever it takes to retain him. I’m guessing Clemson’s assistants are well paid too.

View attachment 6457

I don't think this revenue list includes private donations to the school.

attachment.php

Like I said in another thread. If you do a great job this year and PJ backs it up again next year their will be other teams after him!

What your HC does in the future is unknown. I wouldn't worry unless you hear of him visiting another school for an interview.

Until then revel in your wins. You can not predict the future.

usc has a horrible hockey team

T really is a shame that head football coaches are paid so much at some schools when their are only about 25 P% schools in the black for their athletic programs.

I don't think this revenue list includes private donations to the school.

Here's the definition:
All revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities. This includes revenues from appearance guarantees and options, contributions from alumni and others, institutional royalties, signage and other sponsorships, sport camps, state or other government support, student activity fees, ticket and luxury box sales, and any other revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities.

Top Bottom