Souhan on PSU game: "perhaps biggest game since Murray Warmath was coaching"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Souhan on PSU game: "perhaps biggest game since Murray Warmath was coaching"

Souhan makes a strong case for College GameDay to be at the game, praises Fleck, WRs, and more:

This might be the biggest game ever to be played at TCF Bank Stadium and perhaps the Gophers’ biggest game since Murray Warmath was coaching.

Gophers fans will be wearing their maroon under parkas, but it’s the thought that counts.

It’s time for ESPN to seize the moment. Instead of shilling for the Southeastern Conference. ESPN can capture James Franklin pushing Penn State toward a national championship and Fleck tugging Minnesota toward perhaps its best season in 60 years.

The Gophers are good. Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman are NFL-caliber stars. Fleck and his staff have improved the quality of play at offensive line and quarterback during the season, which isn’t easy.

Antoine Winfield is a remarkable player. And whatever you think of Fleck’s promotional ways, at least he doesn’t spend his time on the sideline cussing out players. He spends his time on the sideline cussing out officials.

It’s time for ESPN to choose endearing over enduring, quaint over epic, wild rice soup over brisket.

http://www.startribune.com/c-mon-co...enn-state-is-where-you-ought-to-be/564195492/

Go Gophers!!

Souhan makes a strong case for College GameDay to be at the game, praises Fleck, WRs, and more:

This might be the biggest game ever to be played at TCF Bank Stadium and perhaps the Gophers’ biggest game since Murray Warmath was coaching.

Gophers fans will be wearing their maroon under parkas, but it’s the thought that counts.

It’s time for ESPN to seize the moment. Instead of shilling for the Southeastern Conference. ESPN can capture James Franklin pushing Penn State toward a national championship and Fleck tugging Minnesota toward perhaps its best season in 60 years.

The Gophers are good. Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman are NFL-caliber stars. Fleck and his staff have improved the quality of play at offensive line and quarterback during the season, which isn’t easy.

Antoine Winfield is a remarkable player. And whatever you think of Fleck’s promotional ways, at least he doesn’t spend his time on the sideline cussing out players. He spends his time on the sideline cussing out officials.

It’s time for ESPN to choose endearing over enduring, quaint over epic, wild rice soup over brisket.

http://www.startribune.com/c-mon-co...enn-state-is-where-you-ought-to-be/564195492/

Go Gophers!!

Hey now, no need to slander brisket here.

I would say as big as the 2003 MI game for the consequences of winning or losing are as great today as they were then.
Win with a WI loss against IA and the path to the West is smooth.
Lose and if WI wins out then the WI/MN will decide the West and the MN bubble may have burst from the loss to PSU.

He’s right. In terms of momentum, hype, Rose Bowl chances this game is enormous. Lose and the air goes out of the balloon and there is a high chance the Rose Bowl chooses the perceived second best team in the Big Ten (even if MN is the Indy representative from the west). That would probably be PSU if they roll us. Of course chaos can still occur with a seemingly surging Michigan, Fields could go down, MN could shock the world next week and surge into Indianapolis. Buckle up!

Schnauzer on Souhan: "I haven't read any of his columns in years. Won't start now."

I have no football related comments.

But I would take brisket over wild rice soup six days a week and twice on Sunday.

He’s right. In terms of momentum, hype, Rose Bowl chances this game is enormous. Lose and the air goes out of the balloon and there is a high chance the Rose Bowl chooses the perceived second best team in the Big Ten (even if MN is the Indy representative from the west). That would probably be PSU if they roll us. Of course chaos can still occur with a seemingly surging Michigan, Fields could go down, MN could shock the world next week and surge into Indianapolis. Buckle up!

------------

I need to rant a bit, but please rest assured this fit of... whatever... I'm about to express has nothing to do with you, PE. The idea you've expressed in the bolded part has been expressed by others; it's not just you.

Re: the bolded...

Would it really be all that "shocking" for Minnesota to beat Penn State? Really?

If I recall correctly, a Gopher Hole contributor recently posted that Minnesota is 5-5 against Penn State in the last 10 meetings.

Minnesota is 8-0, and the Gophers have outscored B1G opponents by an average score of 41-14.

Game is here, in our stadium.

We're likely to be 7 pt. underdogs; probably no more than that.

Do we think our team is David... to mighty Penn State's Goliath? Maybe I'm clueless, but I just don't get it.

Souhan got it right until the soup -vs- brisket screwup at the end.

If you would choose brisket over wild rice soup, then you've never tasted my wife's homemade chicken wild rice soup. Brisket is a treat, but that soup is a feast in a bowl.

------------

I need to rant a bit, but please rest assured this fit of... whatever... I'm about to express has nothing to do with you, PE. The idea you've expressed in the bolded part has been expressed by others; it's not just you.

Would it really be all that "shocking" for Minnesota to beat Penn State? Really?

If I recall correctly, a Gopher Hole contributor recently posted that Minnesota is 5-5 against Penn State in the last 10 meetings.

Minnesota is 8-0, and the Gophers have outscored B1G opponents by an average score of 41-14.

Do we think our team is David... to mighty Penn State's Goliath? Maybe I'm clueless, but I just don't get it.

Based on history of the programs, level of talent based on recruiting ratings, and current SOS (wide gap), yes. PSU's current SOS is top 10 and Gophs are sitting in the 70s. I think every win to remain undefeated going forward will qualify to be in the "shock" column.

Based on history of the programs, level of talent based on recruiting ratings, and current SOS (wide gap), yes. PSU's current SOS is top 10 and Gophs are sitting in the 70s. I think every win to remain undefeated going forward will qualify to be in the "shock" column.

Would you put money down on Penn State, giving 7 points? I think you may have a golden opportunity to make some dough, if you believe what you say.

------------

This. This. THIS.

Lavar Arrington isn't blitzing. Kerry Collins isn't handing off to Franco Harris or Ki-Jana Carter. Joe Pa isn't riding the refs. We are going to win this game and the noise you'll hear at TCF will be the giant waking up after his 50 year slumber. It might frighten some of you but this team deserves this. They've worked for it. And they'll change the narrative of this program. Empire Class. Fleck. LETS GO!

Last edited:

------------

You and I would be thrilled but not shocked. But the CFB world would be shocked.

This is the biggest game since last week

Murray, you’re trying too hard. Most pundits still doubt the Gophers because of the schedule. I think they have a good shot but I don’t “expect” a win. This will be a really tough challenge vs a legit top 5 team.

It’s ok to not be irrationally exuberant. It’s ok to be irrationally exuberant. That’s part of the fun. For me, I’m going to be celebrating if the guys pull this out and I do think it deserves a field rush.

Murray, you’re trying too hard. Most pundits still doubt the Gophers because of the schedule. I think they have a good shot but I don’t “expect” a win. This will be a really tough challenge vs a legit top 5 team.

It’s ok to not be irrationally exuberant. It’s ok to be irrationally exuberant. That’s part of the fun. For me, I’m going to be celebrating if the guys pull this out and I do think it deserves a field rush.

Huh?

None of this has anything at all to do with your original statement, which is that it would "shock the college football world" if Minnesota beat Penn State.

I don't think it would "shock the world" at all, or at the very least it shouldn't be a "shock", for the objective reasons I already gave you in my previous post.

As much as I love Minnesota, I must confess that in general terms the food is not good, specifically lacks spice and flavor. I couldn't imagine choosing my mothers wild rice soup over my 20 hour smoked brisket. And don't even get me started on the lack of Mexican (Tex-Mex) food in Minnesota, sorry Taco Bell doesn't count.

If the MN/PSU is a blowout, it will be the Gophers on the winning side. I expect a close game, but Gophers will not get blown out.

This is a game that a good team at minimum keeps close. Win or lose, a close game says a lot for both of the programs, IMO...

As much as I love Minnesota, I must confess that in general terms the food is not good, specifically lacks spice and flavor. I couldn't imagine choosing my mothers wild rice soup over my 20 hour smoked brisket. And don't even get me started on the lack of Mexican (Tex-Mex) food in Minnesota, sorry Taco Bell doesn't count.

If the MN/PSU is a blowout, it will be the Gophers on the winning side. I expect a close game, but Gophers will not get blown out.

Brisket in Alabama...I thought it was grits or okra...if we are comparing... Minneapolis vs. Tuscaloosa...

The quality of Mexican food in MN has really improved over the last 15 years. I agree, it's not like SoCal or Texas, but you can get quality Mexican food in Minnesota.

In general though, I agree with what you're saying and I would never choose Wild Rice Soup over brisket.

Brisket in Alabama...I thought it was grits or okra...if we are comparing... Minneapolis vs. Tuscaloosa...

The bigger issue is that Alabama BBQ is almost always pork based (from my experience). Brisket is more of a TX thing.

Huh?

None of this has anything at all to do with your original statement, which is that it would "shock the college football world" if Minnesota beat Penn State.

I don't think it would "shock the world" at all, or at the very least it shouldn't be a "shock", for the objective reasons I already gave you in my previous post.

We won't be shocked. We might think the rest of the CFB world shouldn't be shocked.

But you're either incredible ignorant or flatly dishonest if you think the rest of the CFB world won't be shocked.

The truth is the truth, no matter how hard you play a bit on GH, which is either for your own entertainment or because you genuinely think you're making a difference in changing attitudes on here towards our own team. (Not sure which it is truly, I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt though)

We won't be shocked. We might think the rest of the CFB world shouldn't be shocked.

But you're either incredible ignorant or flatly dishonest if you think the rest of the CFB world won't be shocked.

The truth is the truth, no matter how hard you play a bit on GH, which is either for your own entertainment or because you genuinely think you're making a difference in changing attitudes on here towards our own team. (Not sure which it is truly, I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt though)

I don't think beating Penn State at home is shocking in itself, I think doing it to move to 9-0 and likely ranked in the top 10 is shocking.

I don't think beating Penn State at home is shocking in itself, I think doing it to move to 9-0 and likely ranked in the top 10 is shocking.

It would be beating a top 5 ranked team, for whatever that is worth.

The #13 ranked team in the country, 8-0, and a home 7 point underdog...

... beating...

... the #5 ranked team in the country, also 8-0, a 7 point road favorite...

...is indeed an upset, probably best considered a minor upset. Not a shocking upset. Not going to go down as one of the great upsets in college football.

Illinois beating Wisconsin as huge underdogs was a shocking upset.

You have your opinion and you won’t change your mind no matter what.

Rest assured, a good majority of the CFB world would be shocked that Minnesota (a program most of them won’t know is currently in the top 15) beat #5 Penn State.

It doesn’t matter if you won’t believe it, the truth is the truth.

Top Bottom