Souhan on PSU game: "perhaps biggest game since Murray Warmath was coaching"

My outlook is "forced obtuse" on this? You sited a thesaurus as you pretended to not understand the difference between being "shocked" and being "surprised".

I think we just have to agree to disagree that we use the word "shock" differently.

I also am aware that you are talking about casual college football fans and my point stands. I am fully aware App St. lost last night (it was on the front of ESPN this morning), I know SMU and Baylor are undefeated. . . so yes, I think college football fans know it is a good year for MN. So no, I don't think they would be shocked if MN beat Penn State. Surprised, yes. I wouldn't use the term "shocked".

You’re especially wrong for casual fans.

But so far, you’re just declaring that you’re right a priori. So I don’t expect much further good discussion from you on this.

Shocked, surprised or expected?

Speaking of Warmath's big games at Memorial Stadium, here's highlights of 1960 #1 Iowa at #3 Minnesota. The win launched the Gophers toward the National Championship.

My outlook is "forced obtuse" on this? You sited a thesaurus as you pretended to not understand the difference between being "shocked" and being "surprised".

I think we just have to agree to disagree that we use the word "shock" differently.

I also am aware that you are talking about casual college football fans and my point stands. I am fully aware App St. lost last night (it was on the front of ESPN this morning), I know SMU and Baylor are undefeated. . . so yes, I think college football fans know it is a good year for MN. So no, I don't think they would be shocked if MN beat Penn State. Surprised, yes. I wouldn't use the term "shocked".

Interesting take. Can people be “shocked” at “surprise” birthday parties? Can one be shocked and surprised? Where does awed fit into this? Startled?

Your knowledge of teams is possibly aided by the fixation of this site on rankings, and the multiple discussions on moving up or down a spot based on happenings in current and future games. I can probably find three threads on the first page of the football forum discussing rankings.

It's only on Gopherhole where people would pretend to need to have the discussion.

This spirited debate calls to mind one of the all time great GH arguments (to me) which I believe you may have also been involved in - whether a single or double space following a sentence is acceptable.

As much as I love Minnesota, I must confess that in general terms the food is not good, specifically lacks spice and flavor. I couldn't imagine choosing my mothers wild rice soup over my 20 hour smoked brisket. And don't even get me started on the lack of Mexican (Tex-Mex) food in Minnesota, sorry Taco Bell doesn't count.

If the MN/PSU is a blowout, it will be the Gophers on the winning side. I expect a close game, but Gophers will not get blown out.

I agree about traditional Scandinavian/German Minnesota food. Bland and boring. However, we have a great availability of ethnic food in the Twin Cities now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree in general on the brisket, the tex/mex stuff? meh! I'd much rather go straight Mexican! Plenty of that here in good ole Minnesota.

Thanks for the Idea! I think I'll go have some authentic tacos and or a burrito. That's just me.

Now Texas Chili with no beans! The only Minnesota chili that tops that is the chili we are cooking on game day!!! Is it really still 7 days plus before the game?

I'm dying here!

Mmm, brisket tacos!!!

I think the 2003 (I think) Michigan game was close to as big, if not bigger. But Michigan was not rated as high as PSU. I think that Gopher team was probably better than the 2019 team, but I would take Fleck over Mase as a coach in a big game.

I will be very happy if the Gophers beat Penn State.
I will be very close to shocked if we win by 3 or 4 touchdowns. Certainly pleasantly surprised.
If the Gophers were to beat Penn St by 3 or 4 touchdowns, the college football world would be mouth open stunned!!
Let’s do it!
Go Gophers!!!

As much as I love Minnesota, I must confess that in general terms the food is not good, specifically lacks spice and flavor. I couldn't imagine choosing my mothers wild rice soup over my 20 hour smoked brisket. And don't even get me started on the lack of Mexican (Tex-Mex) food in Minnesota, sorry Taco Bell doesn't count.

If the MN/PSU is a blowout, it will be the Gophers on the winning side. I expect a close game, but Gophers will not get blown out.

My wife makes fabulous wild rice soup. She made some this week and it is top of the line. Even she won't compare it to my smoked brisket. Good brisket is a thing of beauty.

East Lake St and Richfield have excellent Mexican food.

Huh?

None of this has anything at all to do with your original statement, which is that it would "shock the college football world" if Minnesota beat Penn State.

I don't think it would "shock the world" at all, or at the very least it shouldn't be a "shock", for the objective reasons I already gave you in my previous post.

Not a single sporting event outcome could shock me. Surprise? Sure.

We have a five page thread arguing about whether "shocked" and "surprised" are the same thing, but some of us are ready to tar and feather Spoofin for pointing out that "3" and "4" arent the same thing?

We have a five page thread arguing about whether "shocked" and "surprised" are the same thing, but some of us are ready to tar and feather Spoofin for pointing out that "3" and "4" arent the same thing?

"Tar and feather"?

Man, the people on this board love their hyperbole!

East Lake St and Richfield have excellent Mexican food.
West side of St. Paul is the original. East lake and Richfield are newer.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

"Tar and feather"?

Man, the people on this board love their hyperbole!

Yeah, those people I tell ya.

Would it be hyperbole to accuse you of hypocrisy? Fourteen page thread crying about coach’s issues with facts and figures yet here we are discussing semantics and parsing meaning of words.

Are you going to be upset if the kids storm the field after upsetting a top 5 team and making history? You and scools can scold everyone to act like they’ve been there before, expected, no big deal, GEEZ.

Would it be hyperbole to accuse you of hypocrisy? Fourteen page thread crying about coach’s issues with facts and figures yet here we are discussing semantics and parsing meaning of words.

Are you going to be upset if the kids storm the field after upsetting a top 5 team and making history? You and scools can scold everyone to act like they’ve been there before, expected, no big deal, GEEZ.

Suddenly I hear an old song playing...

"Come on, Baby!

Let's do the Twist..."

As much as I love Minnesota, I must confess that in general terms the food is not good, specifically lacks spice and flavor.

Are you kidding me??? Have you even tried lutefisk??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think if MN wins and fans storm the field it would be great!

Just, no. You clearly haven't been to West StP. Great authentic Mexican restaurants. Also, there a lot of great Mexican restaurants throughout Southern Minnesota. Most are run by families who emigrated from Mexico over the course of past 40+ years.

I agree about traditional Scandinavian/German Minnesota food. Bland and boring. However, we have a great availability of ethnic food in the Twin Cities now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Try Indian or Thai or Ethiopian food if you want spice and flavor. Plenty of good options for these in the metro. They all make tex mex look like a joke in regard to spices anyway.

Don't get me wrong though. I love some good tex mex and brisket.

Just, no. You clearly haven't been to West StP. Great authentic Mexican restaurants. Also, there a lot of great Mexican restaurants throughout Southern Minnesota. Most are run by families who emigrated from Mexico over the course of past 40+ years.

Yep. West St Paul has some good ones. There are some good ones in south minneapolis as well.

Top Bottom