last big upset?

Nebraska was ranked both times we beat them during the Kill years.

I don't believe any of the Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, PSU or MSU teams were ranked when we beat them during the TCF era.

Upsetting a "ranked" team isn't a big upset. Beating a 23 for example is an upset if we aren't ranked but not a big one. Beating Wisconsin last year was an upset.

When was the last time we beat a top 5 team? Those are big upsets. Ohio state under Mason?

Upsetting a "ranked" team isn't a big upset. Beating a 23 for example is an upset if we aren't ranked but not a big one. Beating Wisconsin last year was an upset.

When was the last time we beat a top 5 team? Those are big upsets. Ohio state under Mason?

Wouldn't it be Penn State in 99?

99 Penn State? i'm not sure.

I always say history repeats itself. Would be a good time for this to come true!

Nebraska was ranked both times we beat them during the Kill years.

I don't believe any of the Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, PSU or MSU teams were ranked when we beat them during the TCF era.

Yes, #21 Nebraska in 2014, 2nd to last game. That win likely got us to the Citrus Bowl. We also beat Michigan that year but they weren't even ranked.

Last edited:

When is the last time we beat a:
Top 5?
Top 10?
Top 15?
Top 20?
Top 25?

Compiled wins against ranked teams here since the 99 Penn State win:
  • Vs. No. 21 Nebraska, 2014 (Neb finished unranked)
  • Vs. No. 21 Nebraska, 2013 (Neb finished 25 in Coaches poll)
  • Vs. No. 24 Iowa, 2010 (Iowa finished unranked)
  • Vs. No. 11 Purdue 2005 (Pur finished unranked)
  • Vs. No. 21 Michigan 2005 (Mich finished unranked)
  • Vs. No. 25 Arkansas 2002 (Ark finished unranked)
  • Vs. No. 22 Illinois 2000 (Ill finished unranked)
  • Vs. No. 6, Ohio State 2000 (Ohio State finished unranked)

#11 Purdue 2005. Also, #21 Michigan that year. That's probably the last time we beat two ranked teams in one season.

Ohio St was ranked #6, but ended up unranked at the end of the year.

Edit: IceBoxGopher beat me to it.

Is it a "big" upset if a team ranked #13 beats a team ranked #5? It doesn't seem like that big of a stretch.

Also, can it be considered a "big" upset if the team ranked #13 is the home team, and the betting spread is only 6-7 points — which is what seems likely to be the case for Penn State @ Minnesota?

To me, where they finished in the rankings is way more important than where they ranked the week of the game. Thanks for including that.

Ohio St was ranked #6, but ended up unranked at the end of the year.

Edit: IceBoxGopher beat me to it.

Still, that was a historic win at Ohio Stadium which hadn't happened in something like 50 years. Bud Grant wasn't probably playing for the Gophers back them.

Is it a "big" upset if a team ranked #13 beats a team ranked #5? It doesn't seem like that big of a stretch.

Also, can it be considered a "big" upset if the team ranked #13 is the home team, and the betting spread is only 6-7 points — which is what seems likely to be the case for Penn State @ Minnesota?

I would definitely consider it 'BIG', yes.

I would definitely consider it 'BIG', yes.

It's definitely 'BIG', as in it's a 'BIG' game.

It would definitely be a 'BIG' win for this program.

But... would it be a 'BIG' upset?

I don't think so. I don't see it that way at all. The Gophers are a really good team. It's not a 'BIG' upset for them to beat anybody at this point. Minnesota is a team to be reckoned with now.

To me, where they finished in the rankings is way more important than where they ranked the week of the game. Thanks for including that.

Think Fresno from last year finished ranked for last ranked team we beat. Well and if Wisconsin did

If we beat Penn St next week it will be the “biggest upset!” Not just because Penn St is ranked so high, but also because we would maintain an undefeated record. That is Uuugeh!

Seriously, Purdue’s win against OhSt last year was a big upset on the national scene, only because it put an L on OhSt’s record/CFP resume. It had little impact on the future fortunes and accomplishments of Purdue. They Had already lost more than they should have and floundered the rest of the season. This season has been a disaster for them.

If we beat Penn St next week it will be the “biggest upset!” Not just because Penn St is ranked so high, but also because we would maintain an undefeated record. That is Uuugeh!

Seriously, Purdue’s win against OhSt last year was a big upset on the national scene, only because it put an L on OhSt’s record/CFP resume. It had little impact on the future fortunes and accomplishments of Purdue. They Had already lost more than they should have and floundered the rest of the season. This season has been a disaster for them.
I think they let the circumstances dictate their behavior.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Well unlike most of these, at most I see PSU losing to us and Ohio State this season. They'd definitely finish top 25, probably top 15.

I think they let the circumstances dictate their behavior.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I think you missed my point entirely.

MICH OhSt is a big rivalry, not because on occasion you had a David vs Goliath upset. It is big because the winner is usually the conference champion and will have an influence on the national title race.

When was the last time the Gophers were in such a game, where if we win we will likely be B1G West Champions and will have influence on the national title race?

When was the last time that happened? It wasn’t I. The victory over OhSt in whenever.

Top Bottom