Maroon Madness! Fans Encouraged to Wear Maroon on Nov. 9

One of my favorite combinations ! Will be hard to dress in all maroon if it's really cold.

Large Maroon windbreaker over jacket? Seems like an easy solution to me.

Or buy any cheap fleece maroon blanket and make a poncho out of it

Some of you are really pathetic. You complain about everything. We don’t do this and we don’t do that. Then when we do something it’s stupid because it won’t work. Well, it won’t work because of your attitude. And if it flops? Who cares? What’s the harm in trying?

BTW, I’ve been to every home game in ten years. Colder than this one. I’ve never worn a coat. It’s called layers. I have T shirts, long sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, windbreakers, all in maroon AND gold. I layer up and have a good time.

Get over it and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Some of you are really pathetic. You complain about everything. We don’t do this and we don’t do that. Then when we do something it’s stupid because it won’t work. Well, it won’t work because of your attitude. And if it flops? Who cares? What’s the harm in trying?

BTW, I’ve been to every come game in ten years. Colder than this one. I e don’t wear a coat. It’s called layers. I have T shirts, long sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, windbreakers, all in maroon AND gold. I layer up and have a good time.

:drink:

Layers and mittens! That's all you need.

I agree layers solve everything. But I'm also shocked they don't sell attire that will satisfy things like a Maroon out or Gold out. So that people can show up and buy it.

I agree layers solve everything. But I'm also shocked they don't sell attire that will satisfy things like a Maroon out or Gold out. So that people can show up and buy it.

You have more than a week to get a sh!t ton of maroon wind breakers or sweatshirts made and sell them outside the stadium.

Program tries to do something to market the game, people complain. Yet those same people complain that the U doesn’t do enough. This isn’t that hard to get maroon on the outside people

They are Minnesotans...

Hey I’m coming in for my first game this year. Makes it easy for me to know what to pack!

You have more than a week to get a sh!t ton of maroon wind breakers or sweatshirts made and sell them outside the stadium.

If that enterprising "B1tch I'm a Gopher" t-shirt seller can do it...

BTW, I’ve been to every come game in ten years. Colder than this one. I e don’t wear a coat. It’s called layers. I have T shirts, long sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, windbreakers, all in maroon AND gold. I layer up and have a good time.

I absolutely get your point and I do plan to have fun with it by putting a maroon Gopher football replica jersey over my coat, but will counter with this. Color Outs are hard to pull off when you rely solely on fans to wear their own stuff. It assumes everyone has maroon gear and that it's weather appropriate for a game that's looking to be in the low 30s and cloudy. If you don't pull off a color out correctly, and this one has little chance of coming off correctly, it looks really dumb and leaves the Gophers open to ridicule from the outside for failing to accomplish something many schools get right multiple times per season.

The prime example of doing it wrong in the past was when a Gold Out was attempted in either 2009 or 2010. No freebies were provided. Fans were expected to wear their own gold gear. The weather was cool and rainy. The need to dress for the weather and the fact that most people don't have gold outerwear all but negated whatever dim hope it had of succeeding in the first place due to very poor work by the U of M in publicizing the event. On top of it all, the team had gold jerseys, but inexplicably wore their maroon ones that day. It was pretty lame.

Get a sponsor for a September game next year and then give free maroon t-shirts to fans as they enter or put them on the seats. Set up a promotion like this in a way that gives it the best hope of succeeding.

I could be wrong but I think Iowa decides that well before the season. It might even be on the tickets which color you're supposed to wear.

I’m sure they have to print it on the ticket - but the fan base still has to pull it off. Gold-Outs and Maroon-Outs don’t require printing on the ticket, they require a fan base that isn’t lame.

916A6C74-77DF-4ABD-B614-7428D433D509.jpg

Attachments

• B784B6A2-B3B2-493B-98FA-23CB7CBDD940.jpg
    B784B6A2-B3B2-493B-98FA-23CB7CBDD940.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

I’m sure they have to print it on the ticket - but the fan base still has to pull it off. Gold-Outs and Maroon-Outs don’t require printing on the ticket, they require a fan base that isn’t lame.

Not to mention printing it on the ticket relies on the Iowa fan being able to read, which is not a given

I go to games every year in November and have been to some very cold ones. I wear a maroon hoodie every time. No need for a coat just a few shirts underneath. Only thing that I've ever had cold is my feet.

BTW, I’ve been to every home game in ten years. Colder than this one. I’ve never worn a coat. It’s called layers. I have T shirts, long sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, windbreakers, all in maroon AND gold. I layer up and have a good time.

This guy gets it!

Last year’s Indiana game was miserable. The few thousand of us that stuck it out had a hell of a time!!!

8C759823-E7B6-4DFE-8E1B-DF17673D0BAC.jpg

Note: this photo was the first quarter...

But it is required that they know about it. Announcing something prior to the season and having it on the tickets has a much greater chance of being successful than just announcing something a week and a half before the game.

They are trying. As others have said any sort of -out other than possibly black will fail in wintery temps. They could either give out oversized gold tshirts to put over jackets or do what they are doing and give out gold towels or similar. Needs to be the whole stadium not just student section.

Personally, I just bought a gold non-Gopher jacket I was going to wear and was bummed to see a maroon-out the next day. But I have a maroon Gopher jacket too.

I wear this,

https://goldyslockerroom.com/arch-m-hooded-sweatshirt

It's one of my favorites, but I find it too warm to wear indoors. Beneath that I wear several layers (3-4). It works for temps above 25, add in a maroon hat (check) and maroon gloves (check) and fleece lined plants, 3 pairs of socks, and good shoes and several beers, you're nice and toasty

YEEEEESSSS. It's gonna be in the 30s and sunny! Move your body and wave those towels! I bet some students will be shirtless and wearing bib overalls. Shut your big yappers!!

Last year’s Indiana game was miserable. The few thousand of us that stuck it out had a hell of a time!!!

View attachment 6450

Note: this photo was the first quarter...

I will take 60 and sunny every time, but I always have fun in the rain or snow. Just be prepared and the weather isn't a big deal.

Listen. I have a really nice maroon jacket from Duluth Trading Co that I bought last year. Its 1 size too big. Looks ridiculous if I'm not wearing a lot of clothes with it. I will wear it on 11/9 and you damn well know I'll be loud and maybe drunk. I'll have my maroon pants (yep, Bonobos.com and I love them) and my maroon winter Gophers hat on. Wife will be in all maroon and she's pregnant. If she can do it. You can freaking do it. We have a wedding at 4pm that day. Going to be a long one. But the adrenaline is real and this game matters. MEANINGFUL NOVEMBER FOOTBALL.

Lets all try to have fun with it. I'm excited to see all of you at this game. If you want to meet up beforehand, I'll buy you a beer.

Listen. I have a really nice maroon jacket from Duluth Trading Co that I bought last year. Its 1 size too big. Looks ridiculous if I'm not wearing a lot of clothes with it. I will wear it on 11/9 and you damn well know I'll be loud and maybe drunk. I'll have my maroon pants (yep, Bonobos.com and I love them) and my maroon winter Gophers hat on. Wife will be in all maroon and she's pregnant. If she can do it. You can freaking do it. We have a wedding at 4pm that day. Going to be a long one. But the adrenaline is real and this game matters. MEANINGFUL NOVEMBER FOOTBALL.

Lets all try to have fun with it. I'm excited to see all of you at this game. If you want to meet up beforehand, I'll buy you a beer.

What if 20,000 want to meet up? I hope you are ready.

Top Bottom