6th grade Social Studies teacher

Stan

Reaction score
Fleck mentioned a couple of times that he started his career as a 6th grade social studies teacher. That's crazy, can you imagine the way he'd fire up those kids ever day! I wonder what it was that shifted his career to college coaching instead of teaching.

What grade were you in when you decided that trolling was a fun hobby?

I'm guessing it was a way to earn a living while he was a grad assistant at Ohio State in 2006. After playing, his goal was always to get into college coaching.
1999-2003 WR for Northern Illinois
2004-2005 WR for 49ers
2006 Grad Assistant for Ohio State
2007-2009 WR coach for Northern Illinois
2010-2011 WR coach for Rutgers
2012 WR coach for Tampa Bay Bucs
2013-2016 Head coach at Western Michigan
2017-Present Head coach at Minnesota

I'm guessing it was a way to earn a living while he was a grad assistant at Ohio State in 2006. After playing, his goal was always to get into college coaching.
2004-2005 WR for 49ers

Thank you for the reply. I thought he was always in coaching but your timeline makes sense.

2004-2005 WR for 49ers

Possibly could have continued teaching while he was at Northern Illinois as well. I'm guessing being a position coach at a MAC school doesn't pay real well.

Uh, what is this about? Seriously, I don't get it.

I apologize if you were asking a serious question.

There was a small 'debate' a while back over whether Fleck exaggerated his teaching background. I thought maybe you were looking to stir that pot again.

Possibly could have continued teaching while he was at Northern Illinois as well. I'm guessing being a position coach at a MAC school doesn't pay real well.

Especially 20 years ago. Salaries have risen significantly in the last 10 years. But a position coach at a MAC school is not breaking the bank.

There was a small 'debate' a while back over whether Fleck exaggerated his teaching background. I thought maybe you were looking to stir that pot again.

Gotcha, no pot stirring here.

I prefer to think that PJ Fleck's goal was always to be a 6th grade social studies teacher, and coaching is just a sideline. I can imagine him sitting at home, working on his game plan, imagining what could have been. This amuses me greatly.

But I do think that if Fleck had chosen teaching instead of coaching, I do think he'd be good at it. I know if I were a 6th grader, I'd want to take his Social Studies class.

Can’t make it up. Ok I’ll bite - what was the premise of THAT?

Especially 20 years ago. Salaries have risen significantly in the last 10 years. But a position coach at a MAC school is not breaking the bank.

Please tell me you guys are joking. A Division I college football coach is not holding a side job. These guys all work 80-100 hrs per week, at minimum.

In addition, he was an education major. Everyone who wants to finish their degree in that field has to have field teaching experience. I am sure that he taught 6th grade, but it was most likely for a few weeks as a student teacher.

Please tell me you guys are joking. A Division I college football coach is not holding a side job. These guys all work 80-100 hrs per week, at minimum.

In addition, he was an education major. Everyone who wants to finish their degree in that field has to have field teaching experience. I am sure that he taught 6th grade, but it was most likely for a few weeks as a student teacher.

To get his degree he'd have had to done about 1/2 of the school year, as that is what student teachers do.

Agree with everything you said except the few weeks.
15+ years ago student teaching would’ve been a few months (a semester)

Top Bottom