James Franklin is suspending starting DT Antonio Shelton for one game

I imagine they'll suspend him for the opener against Kent St next fall.

Not saying "the Minnesota game" is code for "He's missing Rutgers"

Jokes aside. He is being suspended for the Minnesota game, right?
That's too bad. I want them at full strength. Now they have an excuse.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I truly hope they find themselves in a position where they need to make excuses!

I want to win so I could careless about full strength. Give me the W anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimately I want whatever gives us the best chance to win to happen.

But losing a starting DT like Shelton is ideal because he isn't a big enough name, unlike Martinez, Sindelar or Rondale, for most fans, especially non PSU fans, to use his absence as an excuse for losing.

This is isn’t a huge blow for PSU. He had 9 tackles in 8 games. If anything, the guy replacing him was more productive over the first 8 games. They just lose some depth.

PSU thinks they can play us at less than full strength and still win. Bulletin board material.

Interesting you say that as yesterday Ben Lieber was on KFAN and they asked him a question about Mahomes missing the Vikings game.
He said as an athlete, they may say things like what I bolded above, but really what athletes want is their best chance to win. Doesn't matter who
is missing.

I've never understood this mentality. Think of all the wins other teams have on the Gophers in the last 40 years when we were cobbled by injuries, down years, suspensions, rebuilding, etc. Those opposing fans aren't thinking, "Man, that B1G Championship feels less important because Minnesota was down that year."

The Gophers are not going to become Ohio State. We need the stars to align to have magical seasons. Take. Everything. You. Can. Get.

This is isn’t a huge blow for PSU. He had 9 tackles in 8 games. If anything, the guy replacing him was more productive over the first 8 games. They just lose some depth.

He is their starting 1/0 tech so he's not going to accumulate many statistics. He's more responsible for commanding double teams and clogging up the middle so the other guys can make the play. His impact isn't going to be reflected on the boxscore.

PSU fans had the following to say on their forum

"Nah, this will hurt. All credit in the world to Franklin, this could not have been easy"

"Holy moly, this is big and will hurt us. In his last press conference Franklin claimed he was "old school" in terms of expectations of behavior, so I guess this proves his point - for good or ill. The margin for error in performance was small with all hands on deck for this game, and it just got smaller. Let's hope next man up on the depth chart steps up in a big way."

To be fair, there were several others who think they'll be fine but there are certainly fans who also feel like this could make a difference.

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/antonio-shelton-suspended-for-minnesota.251272/#post-4432468

Can their QB do us a favor and spit on someone over the bye week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty impressive it isn't one of those silly half game deals.

Good for Franklin for doing it. Makes me respect and like him a little more.

Good for Franklin for doing it. Makes me respect and like him a little more.

In all seriousness, I agree.

Did we suspend Devers for his boneheaded after the play contact earlier this year? I think it was in the non con. I remember thinking at the time he should be benched for that, but I don’t remember if we did.

I don’t think missing one DT is enough to make an excuse when they lose.

Did we suspend Devers for his boneheaded after the play contact earlier this year? I think it was in the non con. I remember thinking at the time he should be benched for that, but I don’t remember if we did.

We didn't bench or suspend him.

What Devers did was stupid but not something you would suspend a guy for. Spitting on another player is a massive no-no in sports. Props to Franklin for being willing to put doing the right thing over what is best for his team on the field. If this were a Wisconsin player we all know there would be no chance he would be suspended for our game, they would wait till there was a cupcake on the schedule and then they would discipline him.

Spitting isn't quite the same as a shoving match.

Does the fact the B1G publicly reprimanded him and “agreed” with his punishment mean that PSU wasn’t really given a choice??

That's too bad. I want them at full strength.

Not me. I want whatever gives the team the best chance to win.

I'm pretty certain that Brooks Koepka isn't standing on the first tee in the final round of a major thinking, "I really hope that Rory McIlroy is at full strength today and just starts raining down birdie after birdie so I can beat him at his best."

He may say that out loud, but he's actually watching McIlroy putt and thinking, "Noonan! Noonan!"

Does the fact the B1G publicly reprimanded him and “agreed” with his punishment mean that PSU wasn’t really given a choice??
That was my first thought as well. League says, "Coach either you suspend him or we will. How do you want to be perceived?" But PJ had some good things to say about coach Franklin a couple days ago, so maybe I'm wrong.

Top Bottom