8 Years Ago Today

Man, they came to play that day.

Man, blast from the past to see some of those names. Great game.

I remember I watched this one at a bowling alley in South St. Paul near where I was attending a halloween party that evening and the bar regulars kept telling me and others that I looked just like Jay Cutler.

I think Dilly Bar Dan is in the video. Next to Floyd.

I cannot tell you how cathartic that day was for me. Well, a lot of you can probably relate, but man that was a LOOOONG season. I was completely beaten down at that point. I went not expecting much (as was par for the course at that point), but man, what a special day. I was literally running through the aisles after that TD run by Q. Special memories.

I cannot tell you how cathartic that day was for me. Well, a lot of you can probably relate, but man that was a LOOOONG season. I was completely beaten down at that point. I went not expecting much (as was par for the course at that point), but man, what a special day. I was literally running through the aisles after that TD run by Q. Special memories.

It was so great to see the kids just having fun that day.

I also remember how Ferentz complained about onside kicks after this and they changed the rule.

I remember the lunacy on the Iowa forums the following week with ridiculous theories ranging from the kicker being offside on the onside kick to MarQueis holding the ball outside the pylon when he scored the winning touchdown (even though his feet were in the end zone). A number Iowa fans seemed convinced that there was no way lowly Minnesota could beat them without cheating somehow.

I brought 4 German exchange students to that game and they had never been to an American football game in person. As we were driving there I tried to explain how bad the Gophers were and that there was no chance of victory.

I took them to the pregame band performance by Marriucci and they were blown away. When the game started I did my best to explain things (try explaining the significance of a surprise converted onside kick to people at their first football game) and when the Gophers were competitive deeper into the game I realized I was sharing something special with them.

They did the spellout on the rouser like pros by the end of the game.

My friend was given two great tickets to that game. I was hooked and got season tickets for the following season.

The only time I have ever rushed the field after a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job, Coach Horton.

The man did some amazing things when you consider the circumstances. The best games of the season all happened after he took over. Got the team to keep fighting and made some memories out of a lost season.

Looks like he has been doing very well as the Asst. HC and OC at San Diego State.

I'll always remember this win. Felt so awesome to salvage something from that season. Hell yea, Coach Horton (as well as for the Illinois win)

The man did some amazing things when you consider the circumstances. The best games of the season all happened after he took over. Got the team to keep fighting and made some memories out of a lost season.

Looks like he has been doing very well as the Asst. HC and OC at San Diego State.

Not to deny anything to the legendary Jeff Horton, the only Gopher coach with a 1.000 win pct. against Iowa, but this was actually the following year in Kill's first season. Though, both wins came during the doldrums of otherwise lost seasons!

The Horton victory came on the last game of the 2010 season. I was there, there was snow piled up on the edges of the field, it was bitterly cold. Maybe the best sporting event I've attended in my adult life.

Last edited:

Not to deny anything to the legendary Jeff Horton, the only Gopher coach with a 1.000 win pct. against Iowa, but this was actually the following year in Kill's first season. Though, both wins came during the doldrums of otherwise lost seasons!

The Horton victory came on the last game of the 2010 season. I was there, there was snow piled up on the edges of the field, it was bitterly cold. Maybe the best sporting event I've attended in my adult life.

Good call! That was a weird circumstance playing Iowa at home 2 years in a row.

2010 we were 0-6 in the league, won in Champaign, then beat Iowa at home the last game of the season after a bye week.

2011- this game was Kill's first Big Ten win.

Legend has it Jeff's reward was to live out in San Diego after that.

I always thought that was a nice reward.

Sid Hartman felt he deserved the job full time after that

I was there and agree. Probably my favorite game at TCF along with the Michigan St. Halloween game.

One of my favorite games, went in knowing it was a long shot. Love Gray's race to the corner.

Top Bottom