ESPN: NCAA votes to allow athletes to profit from likeness

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

The NCAA's top decision-makers voted unanimously Tuesday to allow college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness "in a manner consistent with the collegiate model."

The board directed the three separate divisions of college sports to immediately begin figuring out how to update their rules in a way that maintains a distinction between college and professional sports. The board members said in a release Tuesday that all changes should make sure student-athletes have the same opportunities to make money as all other students, maintain the priorities of education and the collegiate experience, and ensure that rules are "transparent, focused and enforceable" and do not create a competitive imbalance. The board wants each division to implement new rules by January 2021.

"We must embrace change to provide the best possible experience for college athletes," board chair Michel Drake said. "Additional flexibility in this area can and must continue to support college sports as a part of higher education. This modernization for the future is a natural extension of the numerous steps NCAA members have taken in recent years to improve support for student-athletes, including full cost of attendance and guaranteed scholarships."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27957981/ncaa-votes-allow-athletes-profit-likeness

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

The NCAA's top decision-makers voted unanimously Tuesday to allow college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness "in a manner consistent with the collegiate model."

The board directed the three separate divisions of college sports to immediately begin figuring out how to update their rules in a way that maintains a distinction between college and professional sports. The board members said in a release Tuesday that all changes should make sure student-athletes have the same opportunities to make money as all other students, maintain the priorities of education and the collegiate experience, and ensure that rules are "transparent, focused and enforceable" and do not create a competitive imbalance. The board wants each division to implement new rules by January 2021.

"We must embrace change to provide the best possible experience for college athletes," board chair Michel Drake said. "Additional flexibility in this area can and must continue to support college sports as a part of higher education. This modernization for the future is a natural extension of the numerous steps NCAA members have taken in recent years to improve support for student-athletes, including full cost of attendance and guaranteed scholarships."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27957981/ncaa-votes-allow-athletes-profit-likeness

Go Gophers!!

The bold part is the biggest challenge, especially the competitive balance part.

Like I said in the other thread, their hand was forced.

As soon as CA gov signed the bill into law, it forced other states to propose similar bills in order to prevent CA from gaining an advantage, and at that point it was over.

The NCAA is going to study this, and get it right. I have faith. They're going to propose language that will take the valid, credible concerned raised by posters here into account and satisfy them in a way that is both reasonable and consistent with what the original CA bill authors envisioned.

So is NCAA 21 gonna be a thing? I miss those games, madden just ain’t the same.

One thing to think about: with Madden, EA just has to deal with the NFLPA. That's one entity, boom done.

If EA in theory has to sign a deal with every single college player ... that is probably not realistic.

Agreed, I came here to post the same thing. It better happen. And each player can get his 20 cents (for using his likeness). And if they don't like it, just randomize that player right out of the game.

Agreed, I came here to post the same thing. It better happen. And each player can get his 20 cents (for using his likeness). And if they don't like it, just randomize that player right out of the game.

So every team would just have random player numbers, skin colors/generic faces, and attributes that roughly matched the overall ranking of the team?

Would that remove some of the enjoyment of the game, for you? Honest question, I don't play them.

Like I said in the other thread, their hand was forced.

The NCAA is going to study this, and get it right. I have faith. They're going to propose language that will take the valid, credible concerned raised by posters here into account and satisfy them in a way that is both reasonable and consistent with what the original CA bill authors envisioned.

You have more faith than I do in the NCAA.

Best thing that could happen would be for the U to partner with a few marketing firms and pimp this to recruits. Let them know we will do our best to get them deals outside of playing the game so we look more attractive.
If not, this could turn bad for smaller schools and programs such as Minnesota. All of the big boys will be in line to get these guys paid from their "friends" in a real hurry.

Best thing that could happen would be for the U to partner with a few marketing firms and pimp this to recruits. Let them know we will do our best to get them deals outside of playing the game so we look more attractive.
If not, this could turn bad for smaller schools and programs such as Minnesota. All of the big boys will be in line to get these guys paid from their "friends" in a real hurry.

That has been brought up.

All I can say is, there are a lot of people smarter than me. They'll think of something.

So every team would just have random player numbers, skin colors/generic faces, and attributes that roughly matched the overall ranking of the team?

Would that remove some of the enjoyment of the game, for you? Honest question, I don't play them.

well I always play it in dynasty mode anyway (which has unlimited seasons). So the players always change, so I don't care about season 1 so much. Other's do, and download names, player stats and other things into the game. So it depends who you ask.

well I always play it in dynasty mode anyway (which has unlimited seasons). So the players always change, so I don't care about season 1 so much. Other's do, and download names, player stats and other things into the game. So it depends who you ask.

Yep, same here. I loved to start off as an assistant coach on a crappy G5 type team, work my way up to a MAC type head coach, and hold out for that Gopher opening. Then I’d turn the gophers into a powerhouse so good it would make Nick Saban drool.

I'll preface by saying I am a major PJ Fleck supporter, so I don't mean this the wrong way.

But this could be a big advantage in recruiting because there might not be a coach in the game who has a better talent for boosting his profile off-the-field than PJ. PJ could probably give really good seminars to interested players on building a personal brand.

That has been brought up.

All I can say is, there are a lot of people smarter than me. They'll think of something.

Doubtful. Whenever someone thinks an issue (pick anything) is simple or black and white that is worrisome and a huge red flag. I don’t think people (in general and politicians in particular) think things through at all. This is more about placating than recognizing actual NLI rights. I don’t see how this is tenable in terms of keeping the agents and players at bay from media dollars legally or otherwise. I guess we’ll see over the next 4-5 years.

One thing to think about: with Madden, EA just has to deal with the NFLPA. That's one entity, boom done.

If EA in theory has to sign a deal with every single college player ... that is probably not realistic.

If it happens, there will some sort of master contract that each player can opt in on.

The University of Minnesota is one of the largest schools in the country, located in a large city that has a robust corporate market, and the business school has a great marketing program. Now that this is inevitable, the Gophers need to embrace it and use the built-in resources for their student athletes' advantage (and thus to the athletic program's advantage too). Go for it.

The University of Minnesota is one of the largest schools in the country, located in a large city that has a robust corporate market, and the business school has a great marketing program. Now that this is inevitable, the Gophers need to embrace it and use the built-in resources for their student athletes' advantage (and thus to the athletic program's advantage too). Go for it.

Because we’ve garnered monetary support so rapidly in the past

This isn't about attracting donations, tuition and state funding (although a new athlete's village and relatively new football stadium counter your argument about institutional support). This is about a kid being able to market his/her likeness to a market. The larger the market, the larger the potential.

This isn't about attracting donations, tuition and state funding (although a new athlete's village and relatively new football stadium counter your argument about institutional support). This is about a kid being able to market his/her likeness to a market. The larger the market, the larger the potential.

you need someone to supply that market. this isn't going to be from the institution (who can't throw money at star players), it is coming from the outside. This isn't an argument about institutional support (which if you feel that the funding went swimmingly when it took far longer to drum up donations than it was thought it ever would, then we hold different viewpoints). it's not like the kid himself is going to be able to go and do it without pull of something bigger than themselves in this market (they have pros to draw on for example). This is similar in that the Knicks thought, "hey we're new York, people just wanna come here because the market is big" when in reality that is infinitely far from the truth if they don't supply you with connections and a market. Now if the U signs with some of the major corporations to fund commercials and endorsements with their players or some of these groups decide they want to use the U players, then it will work. We've seen nothing of the sort historically in this area, though they do likely look at them for the career after football.

Some are f you have a much higher opinion of people (and athletic departments) than I do. You’re crazy [emoji12] f you think MN comes out on top (or even the top half) if it becomes a game of who can line up the big spenders to pay players $100,000 just to hang an autographed photo in their bar. The SEC just won the lottery (or the right to rig their own lottery). They are already used to paying players. Now they will have a legit way to do so.

Some are f you have a much higher opinion of people (and athletic departments) than I do. You’re crazy [emoji12] f you think MN comes out on top (or even the top half) if it becomes a game of who can line up the big spenders to pay players $100,000 just to hang an autographed photo in their bar. The SEC just won the lottery (or the right to rig their own lottery). They are already used to paying players. Now they will have a legit way to do so.
Yep. Now an Alabama player can get a $500,000 deal to put his face on a car dealership ad.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I would pre order in a heartbeat. The greatest football franchise. How I miss the days of elevating a 2 star MN program to a 5 star helmet school. I’d even load my non con with the highest ranked team each week!

Yep. Now an Alabama player can get a $500,000 deal to put his face on a car dealership ad.

This is only the beginning. Not looking forward to the first couple years of this new regulation as it will clearly tell how its going to work. The rich are going to get richer and flout.

Since we're talking about (essentially)paying players, the discussion has moved from donations to marketing. So the question is no longer about the U of M, but about whether the Twin Cities market provides competitive money for professional sports. If the answer is "yes", we have our new answer.

exactly

All those are also arguments why this city should be Gopher crazy and tickets hard to find. I am not sure why the corporations in this town will hand out dollars to Gopher players when they could be using the same dollars for Viking, Wild, Twins, or Wolves players.

It's not like Washburn McGreavy funeral homes won't match that. We are big market.

All those are also arguments why this city should be Gopher crazy and tickets hard to find. I am not sure why the corporations in this town will hand out dollars to Gopher players when they could be using the same dollars for Viking, Wild, Twins, or Wolves players.

This. A million times this

Top Bottom