ESPN GameDay Question

AF_Howie_2180

Reaction score
So what we do know....

We are 8-0
They are 8-0
Games at 11 am
ESPN hasn't said who gets Gameday

That being said, I keep seeing and reading people saying since we have the 11am game there is no way we get Gameday due to the early start time. Well a quick check of ESPN shows that Gameday runs from 0800-1100 every week. That being the case other than the #1 v #2 match up down in SEC land how else would the 1100 start time be a problem for Gameday coming here should they decide to?

Since ABC/ESPN are on the same parent company taking a couple extra minutes to kick off if they had to wrap up some Gameday spot probably wouldn't cause too many issues down the network in the grand scheme of things now would it? Or maybe I have completely missed the entire issue somewhere and this has been addressed already.

As I've said in other threads, when they have done the Red River rivalry when it has been 11 on ABC, they moved the crew and set from outside to inside the stadium at the very end when they do their picks.

Update on 11/30 slate as of today (ranked vs ranked)

17 Cincinnati @ 18 Memphis (Friday, not a candidate for Gameday)
5 Alabama @ 12 Auburn
14 Wisconsin @ 8 Minnesota
10 Oklahoma @ 22 Oklahoma St.
2 Ohio State @ 15 Michigan

Toughest games in advance include Minnesota @ Iowa, Georgia @ Auburn, Penn State @ Ohio State

Meh, I'm over Gameday. They can go to Auburn.

Update on 11/30 slate as of today (ranked vs ranked)

17 Cincinnati @ 18 Memphis (Friday, not a candidate for Gameday)
5 Alabama @ 12 Auburn
14 Wisconsin @ 8 Minnesota
10 Oklahoma @ 22 Oklahoma St.
2 Ohio State @ 15 Michigan

Toughest games in advance include Minnesota @ Iowa, Georgia @ Auburn, Penn State @ Ohio State

Come on Georgia!

Also, I think the Ohio St Michigan game is less likely, but certainly no out of the picture. But Michigan has a rivalry game against Mich St this week, and then top 25 Indiana next week.

If they're 11-0, it's a lock. Just look at all the media attention they've generated this week.

If they're 11-0, it's a lock. Just look at all the media attention they've generated this week.

I think you're right, but that puts a lot of pressure on the men this weekend to stay undefeated. They already probably feel that, along with the normal pressure of the rivalry.

I still think we'd deserve it with a close loss and then soundly beating NW.

It is weird how the win over Penn State can changed one's perspective. When we had our first go-around with this as we were nearing 8-0, Gameday seemed like the biggest thing in the world. Since then and after seeing what they missed in a field storming electric afternoon, it has been funny to hear they are going to Baylor this weekend and would be funnier yet if we could get through this amazing season without their visit, to remain on the "Gameday has never been there" list.

I do think that if the Gophers win out or the axe game is for the division, they will come. But everything now seems so much bigger than Gameday. It is almost an afterthought now. I'd prefer them to come here but I wouldn't be devastated if they went with their comfort zone and spent another weekend sniffing SEC jock straps.

I think you're right, but that puts a lot of pressure on the men this weekend to stay undefeated. They already probably feel that, along with the normal pressure of the rivalry.

I still think we'd deserve it with a close loss and then soundly beating NW.

As long as Minnesota doesn't lose to both Northwestern + Iowa, Wisconsin doesn't get upset, or Penn State doesn't beat Ohio State, this game will be a play-in game for either the Rose Bowl (both teams) or CFP in Minnesota's case.

Remember when GameDay went to Lincoln for the Neb vs. OSU game... Woof.

As long as Minnesota doesn't lose to both Northwestern + Iowa, Wisconsin doesn't get upset, or Penn State doesn't beat Ohio State, this game will be a play-in game for either the Rose Bowl (both teams) or CFP in Minnesota's case.

That's mostly not correct.

- there is no automatic birth to Rose Bowl. The conference and the bowl make a mutual decision which school they want to go, based on a number of factors.
- if Wisconsin wins the Axe game, meaning per your requirements: 10-2 Minnesota, 10-2 Wisconsin, and 10-2 Penn St, it is not at all for certain that Wisconsin would be chosen over Penn St for the Rose Bowl, or even over Minnesota for that matter
- if Minnesota wins the Axe game, meaning per your requirements: 11-1 Minnesota, 9-3 Wisconsin, and 10-2 Penn St, I do think Minnesota is the likely choice for the Rose Bowl, if we lose to Ohio St in Indy. However, we are not at all a certainty for the CFP, *even* if we were 12-0 and then lose to Ohio St, we probably would not get in.

It is weird how the win over Penn State can changed one's perspective. When we had our first go-around with this as we were nearing 8-0, Gameday seemed like the biggest thing in the world. Since then and after seeing what they missed in a field storming electric afternoon, it has been funny to hear they are going to Baylor this weekend and would be funnier yet if we could get through this amazing season without their visit, to remain on the "Gameday has never been there" list.

I do think that if the Gophers win out or the axe game is for the division, they will come. But everything now seems so much bigger than Gameday. It is almost an afterthought now. I'd prefer them to come here but I wouldn't be devastated if they went with their comfort zone and spent another weekend sniffing SEC jock straps.

This would be epic. We will no doubt be the story of the year in sports if we somehow make the CFP or even the week leading up to the Big Ten Championship game and Gameday would have missed us the whole year

That's mostly not correct.

- there is no automatic birth to Rose Bowl. The conference and the bowl make a mutual decision which school they want to go, based on a number of factors.
- if Wisconsin wins the Axe game, meaning per your requirements: 10-2 Minnesota, 10-2 Wisconsin, and 10-2 Penn St, it is not at all for certain that Wisconsin would be chosen over Penn St for the Rose Bowl, or even over Minnesota for that matter
- if Minnesota wins the Axe game, meaning per your requirements: 11-1 Minnesota, 9-3 Wisconsin, and 10-2 Penn St, I do think Minnesota is the likely choice for the Rose Bowl, if we lose to Ohio St in Indy. However, we are not at all a certainty for the CFP, *even* if we were 12-0 and then lose to Ohio St, we probably would not get in.

I've posted this in another thread, but history during the CFP era shows that in non-playoff semi final years the second highest ranked team via the CFP poll went to the Rose bowl when the Big Ten Champ went to the semis.

With all three 10-2 I would think we would go. Every team would have a loss to OSU so that loss would not really matter (Unless Penn State also gets blown out like Wisconsin, then if we play a close game vs OSU that could come into play). Then you look at the other losses, Penn State loss to us, we loss to Wisconsin, and Wisconsin loss to Illinois. I think the loss to Illinois would mean Wisconsin doesn't jump above us or Penn State, so then it would just be down to us and Penn State. Since we have the head to head win I think the committee ranks us higher.

So I think we go to the rose bowl in either case as long as we win Iowa and Northwestern, and don't get totally blown out by OSU.

We no longer feel we need any validation from Gameday.

We have enough confidence in our own product we don't need ESPN to show up and tell us we are ranked #8 from the CFP-sEcSPN committee.

Getting love from ESPN right now is like trying to get a compliment from an ex. It just doesn't matter that much.

We no longer feel we need any validation from Gameday.

We have enough confidence in our own product we don't need ESPN to show up and tell us we are ranked #8 from the CFP-sEcSPN committee.

Getting love from ESPN right now is like trying to get a compliment from an ex. It just doesn't matter that much.

Yep, if GameDay wants to show up and praise us they can, but after Penn State I'm certainly not needing the validation anymore.

Gameday means great marketing for potential recruits, etc. (especially out of state) and good for the Gopher brand in general so it would be pretty cool to have them. However, I'm over them like other posters. BTN Tailgate being here instead last week was pretty cool in itself and I really like those guys. This week at Iowa will be their 3rd Gopher game this year (with the potential for more?).

If the Gophers make to the Wisconsin game 11-0, that would not guarantee Gameday comes here, but would certainly increase the chances significantly. Alabama at Auburn with the Crimson Tide having to win its way into the CFP might be tough for Gameday to turn down. If Ohio State falls to Penn State and also needs to win its way into the CFP, Ohio State at Michigan is another possibility. I don't see Gameday going to Oklahoma at Oklahoma State because there are too many barriers between the Sooners and the CFP at the moment, and although ESPN has no issue with taking Gameday to a campus hosting a game that Fox will air, as seems likely to be the case for Bedlam, in this case it probably lowers the likelihood of Gameday going there.

Gameday coming here for the Axe on one hand seems more likely if the Gophers are undefeated. It makes the Gophers a big story in college football nationwide, especially since few not in Big Ten land had likely seen us play before the Penn State game. However, if the Gophers are undefeated, that will mean they would have already clinched the Big Ten West and a place in the Big Ten Championship Game. Would Gameday come here for a rivalry game and to check out an unlikely undefeated team hoping to crash the CFP or would the lack of a spot in Indianapolis being at stake instead lead Gameday to seek out a match up with more on the line?

On the other hand, Wisconsin seems likely to beat Nebraska in Lincoln and Purdue at home. If we lose one of our games, then it's a battle of a 7-1 Gophers and a 6-2 Badgers with the Big Ten West going to the victor as well as the Axe. The problem there is if we lose, the magic dissipates nationally. We'd drop out of the Top 10 in the CFP and be looked at as nothing more than a potential spoiler for the Buckeyes if they beat Penn State and Michigan as expected. Would we still be interesting to Gameday as a 10-1 (7-1) team or would the show go to a CFP contender in a rivalry game instead?

Regarding the idea that the fan base has cooled on Gameday, it's largely because everyone has been so busy enjoying the win over Penn State and we don't have a home game until 11/30. If we win our road games against Iowa and Northwestern to reach 11-0 with a chance at 12-0 by beating Wisconsin, it will be absolute pandemonium leading up to that match up. The calls for Gameday to come here will be as loud as or louder than anything that happened in advance of the game against the Nittany Lions.

If Gameday should go someplace else again, the disappointment will be greater because it will mean the show isn't coming to Minnesota this season. To be honest, we never had a chance against a #1 vs. #2 match up in the AP and Coaches polls. As big as our game was to us, that game was bigger to most of the rest of the country. With the battle for the Axe, we need to see what we're up against. Right now we have a pretty good chance although one that is far from guaranteed.

If the Gophers make to the Wisconsin game 11-0, that would not guarantee Gameday comes here, but would certainly increase the chances significantly. Alabama at Auburn with the Crimson Tide having to win its way into the CFP might be tough for Gameday to turn down. If Ohio State falls to Penn State and also needs to win its way into the CFP, Ohio State at Michigan is another possibility. I don't see Gameday going to Oklahoma at Oklahoma State because there are too many barriers between the Sooners and the CFP at the moment, and although ESPN has no issue with taking Gameday to a campus hosting a game that Fox will air, as seems likely to be the case for Bedlam, in this case it probably lowers the likelihood of Gameday going there.

Gameday coming here for the Axe on one hand seems more likely if the Gophers are undefeated. It makes the Gophers a big story in college football nationwide, especially since few not in Big Ten land had likely seen us play before the Penn State game. However, if the Gophers are undefeated, that will mean they would have already clinched the Big Ten West and a place in the Big Ten Championship Game. Would Gameday come here for a rivalry game and to check out an unlikely undefeated team hoping to crash the CFP or would the lack of a spot in Indianapolis being at stake instead lead Gameday to seek out a match up with more on the line?

On the other hand, Wisconsin seems likely to beat Nebraska in Lincoln and Purdue at home. If we lose one of our games, then it's a battle of a 7-1 Gophers and a 6-2 Badgers with the Big Ten West going to the victor as well as the Axe. The problem there is if we lose, the magic dissipates nationally. We'd drop out of the Top 10 in the CFP and be looked at as nothing more than a potential spoiler for the Buckeyes if they beat Penn State and Michigan as expected. Would we still be interesting to Gameday as a 10-1 (7-1) team or would the show go to a CFP contender in a rivalry game instead?

I think a 1 loss Minnesota team has a better chance of landing College Gameday for the Wisconsin game (assuming Wisconsin wins the next 2 games) than an undefeated Gophers team. The game would have even more significance with the winner taking the B1G West crown.

I'd rather have the title in the bag headed into that game. I still expect us to keep the Axe but it will do my heart a considerable justice to know we've secured the West before we even take the first snap.

Does GameDay happen during conference championship week? I imagine the crowd at Indianapolis wouldn't be too exciting.

Howzabout GameDay coming next year?

Iowa - Sept 19, 2020?
Michigan - Oct 17, 2020?

I'd be fine with either of those rival games...

Gameday will be here September 2, 2021.

It will be a rematch of the last two Big Ten Title games. Us hosting Ohio St.
It will be the biggest game that weekend.

I understand how Gameday is good marketing of course, but personally the luster now is less than it would have been for PSU.

Does GameDay happen during conference championship week? I imagine the crowd at Indianapolis wouldn't be too exciting.

Gameday goes on the road for Championship Week as usual. They get plenty of fans on hand despite being at a neutral site. There is a good record of that game moving around. Here is where it has been. Note that the Big Ten started its title game in 2011 and didn't schedule regular season games on that weekend before then.

2000: #1 Oklahoma vs. #8 Kansas State, Big XII
2001: #5 Tennessee at #2 Florida, SEC regular season game that was rescheduled due to 9/11
2002: Stayed in the studio.
2003: #3 LSU vs. #6 Georgia, SEC
2004: #3 Auburn vs. #15 Tennessee, SEC
2005: #11 UCLA at #1 USC, PAC-10 regular season game
2006: Stayed in the studio
2007: #1 Missouri vs. #9 Oklahoma, Big XII
2008: #1 Alabama vs. 2 Florida, SEC
2009: #1 Florida vs. #2 Alabama, SEC
2010: #1 Oregon at Oregon State, PAC-10 regular season game
2011: #1 LSU vs. #12 Georgia, SEC
2012: #1 Alabama vs. #3 Georgia, SEC
2013: #2 Ohio State vs. #10 Michigan State, Big Ten
2014: #9 Kansas State at #5 Baylor, Big XII regular season game
2015: #4 Iowa vs. #5 Michigan State, Big Ten
2016: #3 Wisconsin vs. #8 Penn State, Big Ten
2017: #1 Clemson vs. #7 Miami, ACC
2018: #1 Alabama vs. #4 Georgia, SEC

That wouldn't be here (in Minneapolis), of course, so it wouldn't "end the drought" per se, but yes I could easily see 12-0 Minnesota vs 12-0 Ohio State in Indy being the GameDay choice that week.

That may even be their excuse to say "we did Minnesota this year" without actually having to come here and brave the cold. Cowards

They would still have to go to Indy. I believe they went there in 2013 or so (I think the matchup was Ohio State vs. Michigan State) and it was really cold then too.

Gameday will be here September 2, 2021.

It will be a rematch of the last two Big Ten Title games. Us hosting Ohio St.
It will be the biggest game that weekend.

I understand how Gameday is good marketing of course, but personally the luster now is less than it would have been for PSU.

That's a Thursday game, so it won't be on Gameday.

Top Bottom