Make a case for who we want to win in the WI/IA game on 11/09/19

I would prefer Iowa to win for the following reasons:

1. Iowa has the worse offense and the worse defense.
2. Recent History shows we perform better against Iowa.
3. We would be able to lock up the West at a winless Northwestern.
4. Could make Badger fans miserable for an extra week.
5. Despite the fact that a nuclear bomb going off or a sinkhole opening and swallowing both teams at the game is the only real thing to cheer for at an Iowa vs Wisconsin game, you have to pick someone! Iowa looks to be the weaker of the two teams.

How many OTs can be played before it’s declared a tie? I want that, and then Iowa to win so they are ahead of Wisconsin but good and tired for our game.

I'm ambivalent but anticipate a close game. I recognize some advantage for Wisconsin winning because we play them at home but at the end of the day, the Gophers control their own destiny. Keep getting better each week and it won't matter who wins that game. There is a real opportunity in front of this Gopher team in the Penn State game in that if we win, one of Iowa/Wisconsin will be all but eliminated from the race for the west.

I also like the comment about both Wisc and Iowa having to go to Nebraska. As bad as Nebraska is, we know they can do some things at home in a tough environment for visiting teams and I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see one of our two border rivals drop one there.

How many OTs can be played before it’s declared a tie? I want that, and then Iowa to win so they are ahead of Wisconsin but good and tired for our game.

There is no limit.

At some point, refs would call the game, for the sake of player safety. Too exhausted to properly protect themselves, or something along those lines. I think since the new OT rules, we've seen something like 6 or 7 OTs be played out?

I want Iowa so we can clinch the west in Iowa city

I want Iowa so we can clinch the west in Iowa city

Our road wins in the Big Ten this season have been @Purdue, without their starting QB or star WR, and we won 38-31, and @Rutgers, which is self-explanatory.

Just saying ...

Our road wins in the Big Ten this season have been @Purdue, without their starting QB or star WR, and we won 38-31, and @Rutgers, which is self-explanatory.

Just saying ...

So you’re saying we’re due for a dominant road win against someone other than Rutgers.

Just saying ...

If we are going to lose to Iowa, I’d rather have Iowa win the division than Wisconsin.

Especially since I predicted
1) Iowa
2) Minnesota
3) Wisconsin

Before the season

If we are going to lose to Iowa, I’d rather have Iowa win the division than Wisconsin.

Especially since I predicted
1) Iowa
2) Minnesota
3) Wisconsin

Before the season

I'd rather we lose to Iowa and then beat Wisconsin to win the division, if we have to lose to one of them. Wouldn't that be more satisfying? Win the division, at home, in front of our fans, against our most hated rival?

Iowa. If they beat WI and we come to Kinnick and beat Iowa, we should have the West wrapped up.

Isn't it fun to have the division lead by 2 games at this point? :)
This. Regardless of the outcome of the PSU game on the 9th....if Iowa beats Wisconsin to hand them their third loss....we could give Iowa their third on the 16th. That would basically wrap up the West for us with two weeks remaining. We'd have to take care of business against NW....but their offense is so anemic and our defense so dominant that it worries me very little. Go Iowa. Let's have zero doubt going into the last week of the season and then let's stomp the Badgers anyways.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'd rather we lose to Iowa and then beat Wisconsin to win the division, if we have to lose to one of them. Wouldn't that be more satisfying? Win the division, at home, in front of our fans, against our most hated rival?

I have 100% confidence in beating Iowa on the road.

I’d rather already have the thing wrapped up

I’d rather Wisconsin never win another game in the history of college football. I actually don’t mind Iowa.

I have 100% confidence in beating Iowa on the road.

I’d rather already have the thing wrapped up

I’d rather Wisconsin never win another game in the history of college football. I actually don’t mind Iowa.

That's taking it a little too seriously, in my book. But, that is your right.

All this talk is stressing me out! Great arguments on both sides, except for the fact I can NEVER cheer for wisconsin. I want it wrapped up before the wisconsin game. I don't care how it's done. Just do it!

It would be more satisfying to win them all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It would be more satisfying to win them all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yes, and it would be even more satisfying to win the national championship.

I'm merely going by probabilities ....

This is a good attempt to come up with something that goes against the grain, but it is extremely unlikely that we’d win the West by beating Iowa and NW in the road but losing to Wisconsin at home.

If Iowa beats Wisconsin and Minnesota beats Iowa and Northwestern, Minnesota wins the West. Minnesota has a 2 game lead with 4 to go. The magic number is 3 no matter how you slice it. Any combination of Minnesota wins, and losses by the Iowa-Wisconsin winner gives Minnesota the title. If Minnesota beats that winner head to head, that’s 2. They only need 1 win in the other 3 games.

Simple sports math, not against the grain.

If Iowa beats Wisconsin and Minnesota beats Iowa and Northwestern, Minnesota wins the West. Minnesota has a 2 game lead with 4 to go. The magic number is 3 no matter how you slice it. Any combination of Minnesota wins, and losses by the Iowa-Wisconsin winner gives Minnesota the title. If Minnesota beats that winner head to head, that’s 2. They only need 1 win in the other 3 games.

Simple sports math, not against the grain.

The scenario you propose above, is correct and valid.

The post I replied to did not propose that scenario, rather I took it to mean that you were implying it doesn't matter who wins. That's the part I was replying to.

There is no limit.

At some point, refs would call the game, for the sake of player safety. Too exhausted to properly protect themselves, or something along those lines. I think since the new OT rules, we've seen something like 6 or 7 OTs be played out?

New OT Rules for 2019 season. In 3rd and 4th OT, teams must go for 2 after TD. 5th and subsequent OT are simply alternating 2 point conversion attempts.

I think I would prefer to see Iowa beat Wisconsin. I think that helps our team with being completely focused on Iowa. I think we have a good shot at pulling out a win at Kinnick this year.
Ski U Mah! RTB!!

wisconsin is the better team, and the more hated, so obviously want Iowa to win.

Beating IA for the division title is much less worrisome than beating uw.

Last edited:

Top Bottom