Make a case for who we want to win in the WI/IA game on 11/09/19

Triple D

Reaction score
Tough for me to decide what would be better for Gophs.

Personally I can't stand the BADgers and would like to see them lose more, would be great to see them have a 3 game losing streak which would be a Pro in our favor come Bowl selection time assuming we don't also lose 3 in a row. If we beat Iowa the week after they beat WI it looks that much better too.

Your thoughts.....

I hate Iowa, but really hate Wisconsin. If I had to chose, I regretfully pick Iowa.

Tough call. Guess I'm going to let it play out and not root for either of them.

Since I am attending the Wiscy game, it would be great the higher the stakes are for both teams. That said, I will not cheer for Wiscy. Ever

Because we have to play Iowa on the road it is probably better for us overall if Wisconsin wins on the 9th. In the end though, regardless of who wins that one we just need to beat the winner and win at least one of Penn State and Northwestern in order to lock up the West.

Thank you MNVC. Just the analysis I've come to expect from you.

You remind me of Tanner...just a game manager who's a winner.

I could stomach IA winning the west easier, so I want IA to win.
I'd like to go into Axe week with WI having no shot at the title.

Easier to stomach Iowa winning a Big Ten West if they aren't in our house.

If we lose the Axe to WI, that's bad enough. Don't need them with a BTT birth because of it.

A Badger victory is best as it will be more difficult for us to beat Iowa at Iowa City than to win over the Badgers here. If Iowa wins and beats us, they would likely win the West with two losses - and would top us if we also had two losses because of head-to head.

My case for Wisconsin: I don't want to play at Iowa with them having momentum and thinking the West is in play.

My case for Iowa: If they win and we beat them then the West is locked up if we beat PSU or NW

Iowa. If they beat WI and we come to Kinnick and beat Iowa, we should have the West wrapped up.

Isn't it fun to have the division lead by 2 games at this point? :)

They have the same record at the moment, and they both go to Lincoln this season yet.

So it pretty much works the same, either way: we need to beat the winner of this game, to win the West.

Difference is, we play Iowa on the road, while we play Wisconsin at home.

So I’m going with Wisconsin. Plus the game is in Madison.

i'd go iowa. they've impressed me less and could easily see them dropping another game

This is a very tough question. I see both arguments. I guess I'll let it play out and not favor either one of them and just bank on the Gophers taking care of their own business in a way that makes the Iowa/Wisconsin game irrelevant.

A Badger victory is best as it will be more difficult for us to beat Iowa at Iowa City than to win over the Badgers here. If Iowa wins and beats us, they would likely win the West with two losses - and would top us if we also had two losses because of head-to head.

This is my thinking...I like our odds better vs Badgers at home, than I do down in Iowa City.

We haven't won at Kinnick in ages and usually play very poorly down there (although we were OK in 2015 and 2017). Maybe this year is different...

I was taught at an early age to never, ever cheer for wisconsin. Ever.

Go Gophers!!

Wisconsin will beat Iowa. They have played great at home. They should have a chip on their shoulder after two embarrassing losses. Stanley will need to have an amazing performance for Iowa to win IMO.

Because we have to play Iowa on the road it is probably better for us overall if Wisconsin wins on the 9th. In the end though, regardless of who wins that one we just need to beat the winner and win at least one of Penn State and Northwestern in order to lock up the West.

They have the same record at the moment, and they both go to Lincoln this season yet.

So it pretty much works the same, either way: we need to beat the winner of this game, to win the West.

Difference is, we play Iowa on the road, while we play Wisconsin at home.

So I’m going with Wisconsin. Plus the game is in Madison.

Yup, pretty much these. I feel better and better about Gophers chances vs. Wisconsin each week. While I don't think Iowa is an elite team (that offense), playing them on the road a week after playing PSU is a tough test. So I'd like them to get that 3rd loss.

It doesn’t really matter if Minnesota can beat the winner of that game. The magic number is three, and a head to head win against the winner of the Hogeyes and Budgies is worth two. That means one win versus the other three remaining opponents is all that is needed.

It doesn’t really matter if Minnesota can beat the winner of that game. The magic number is three, and a head to head win against the winner of the Hogeyes and Budgies is worth two. That means one win versus the other three remaining opponents is all that is needed.

This is a good attempt to come up with something that goes against the grain, but it is extremely unlikely that we’d win the West by beating Iowa and NW in the road but losing to Wisconsin at home.

Iowa. I want the weasels completely out of business by the time they come up here.

Also, home field hasn't meant much in that series. Road team had won 7 of the last 8 and 9 of the past 12.

The meteor should win....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Iowa.

I dislike Wisconsin that much

The beauty of this is that in our current position Iowa and Wisconsin are basically in must win situations every week. We have the ability to eliminate them with victories over them but at the same time if they lose any other game and we take care of business in at least 2 of our next 4 it is over.

For the time being all the pressure is on them. Obviously that can change depending on how things play out starting on the 9th but for now we are in a great position.

Gone over this a thousand times. We want Wisconsin to win because it gives us a slip up if needed, even at Iowa. It will all come down to the Wisconsin game.

Iowa. I want the weasels completely out of business by the time they come up here.

Also, home field hasn't meant much in that series. Road team had won 7 of the last 8 and 9 of the past 12.

Good point, you got me there.

Good arguments on both sides, it seems.

I want Iowa to win, just because I hate WisconSIN fans more than IWOA fans. I'm hoping the BADgers lose four in a row, to Iwoa and then to the Nebraska the next week. A four game losing streak this late in the year would be great.

To expand on GopherRock's point ... man the Iowa-Wisconsin series has had some kinda interesting history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa–Wisconsin_football_rivalry

1977 - 1996: Iowa. did. not. lose. a. game. 17-0-1 if I counted correctly
1997 - 2001: Wisconsin wins 5 in a row
2002 - 2005: Iowa wins 4 in a row
2006 - 2010: Wisconsin wins 2, Iowa wins 2, then Wisconsin wins the last game before a two-year hiatus due to the stupid Leaders-Legends debacle
2013 - 2018: Wisconsin has won 5 of the last 6

So actually, GopherRock's point is correct because, oddly, from 2010 - 2018, which has been only seven games (due to the noted hiatus), the game has only been played in Madison twice. But Wisconsin has won 6 out of those 7. So really, what it has been, is that Wisconsin has dominated this decade, that has mostly been played in Iowa City.

Not sure if that translates well to Iowa winning in Madison. Iowa's lone win in the last seven did come in Madison, in their amazing 2015 season. But that's it.

Last edited:

First post here. I've read Gopherhole for years but never post so going big or going home with my first post:

I'm hoping for a scoreless tie -complete futility from both teams. I hope there are multiple injuries and an on the field brawl with most of both teams involved, including the coaches. This will result in both teams spiraling into a decade of mediocrity.

First post here. I've read Gopherhole for years but never post so going big or going home with my first post:

I'm hoping for a scoreless tie -complete futility from both teams. I hope there are multiple injuries and an on the field brawl with most of both teams involved, including the coaches. This will result in both teams spiraling into a decade of mediocrity.

Well, someone still has to win, but playing enough overtimes to take the game into Sunday would be nice.
Also, many players with half-game suspensions could also be useful.

Tie

Well, someone still has to win, but playing enough overtimes to take the game into Sunday would be nice.
Also, many players with half-game suspensions could also be useful.

Right, those pesky rules.

But, I was assuming they just quit the game at a tie, because nobody was left to play.

Top Bottom