When we beat Penn State by 17+, how high will our ranking get?

It's an interesting question.

And a 17-point win is not as preposterous as some may think.

I mean... what was the score of the game the last time Minnesota went to Madison? What was the point spread before that game?

Someone here posted that Minnesota is 5-5 in their last ten games against Penn State. One of the Gopher losses was in overtime, in Happy Valley, vs. the eventual B1G champions.

Do not be afraid to be a legend!

I'd say move up to #9....still earning R-E-S-P-E-C-T

If we beat Penn State, I don't think I'll give two s**ts what the polls say. If we beat Penn State, there's a fair chance we run the table. If we accomplish that, we're going to Indianapolis no matter what — and the polls and the experts and the pundits will be quite irrelevant at that point.

Just keep winning, and the rest takes care of itself.

Well after the game, Urban Meyer did his best to sell the win to the national media, daring other teams in the country to pull off the same feat.

“I’d like to see anybody in the country come up and do this,” Meyer said after the win. “Come up in November. Any team in the country wants to schedule this one November against a really good team, have at it. That’s our message.”

You’d have to imagine that Meyer is certainly correct in this regard. Especially with college kids, inclement weather does not do anyone any favors, particularly those teams from warm weather climates. It was damn impressive what the Buckeyes did in Minneapolis, whether people want to admit it or not.

Urban Meyer 2014

Our offense will score.
Our defense can stop them.

I'd bet that most posters would rank Penn State as the best of the four teams remaining on the Gopher schedule.

Win this one, and the road will open up nicely before us.

I'd bet that most posters would rank Penn State as the best of the four teams remaining on the Gopher schedule.

Win this one, and the road will open up nicely before us.

I think at Iowa is very winnable this year.
We scored 31 vs Iowa last year.
Gave up 48.
Do you know who our defensive coordinator was?

We had 4 turnovers in that game. ZA with 3 ints and Seth Green with 1.
Daniel Faalele made his debut to start the second half.

It was a different team.

If we don't beat Iowa by 3 TD's I'll be surprised.

I think at Iowa is very winnable this year.
We scored 31 vs Iowa last year.
Gave up 48.
Do you know who our defensive coordinator was?

We had 4 turnovers in that game. ZA with 3 ints and Seth Green with 1.
Daniel Faalele made his debut to start the second half.

It was a different team.

If we don't beat Iowa by 3 TD's I'll be surprised.

I believe Wisconsin and NW are both beatable also.

We got this!

Penn State is by far the best team we will have played so far...I'm just hoping for a close game. At the very minimum, I wanna prove that we deserve our current ranking. Are we really getting this cocky already? :confused:

Penn State is by far the best team we will have played so far...I'm just hoping for a close game. At the very minimum, I wanna prove that we deserve our current ranking. Are we really getting this cocky already? :confused:

I've waited over 40 years to be like this...
Give me a 2 weeks, okay?

A win like that would move us past anybody who is below us now but sneaks by during our bye week, so throw all those teams out. 12 Baylor and 11 Auburn both have a bye in the next two weeks and can't post a big win the other week, so we pass both of them. It also gets us past PSU and anybody between 6-10 who loses in either of the next two weeks, with the possible exception of the Florida-Georgia loser if that game isn't a blowout.

6 Florida vs 8 Georgia (neutral), Vandy
7 Oregon @USC, Bye
8 Georgia vs 6 Florida, Mizzou
9 Utah @ Washington, Bye
10 Oklahoma Bye, vs Iowa State

We might also sneak past Utah on their bye week even if they beat Washington. Oregon and Oklahoma have Helmet School Immunity unless they lose. Anybody in the top 4 is unreachable without two losses.

If we beat them by 17+, I suppose we’ll be ranked #8 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A win like that would move us past anybody who is below us now but sneaks by during our bye week, so throw all those teams out. 12 Baylor and 11 Auburn both have a bye in the next two weeks and can't post a big win the other week, so we pass both of them. It also gets us past PSU and anybody between 6-10 who loses in either of the next two weeks, with the possible exception of the Florida-Georgia loser if that game isn't a blowout.

6 Florida vs 8 Georgia (neutral), Vandy
7 Oregon @USC, Bye
8 Georgia vs 6 Florida, Mizzou
9 Utah @ Washington, Bye
10 Oklahoma Bye, vs Iowa State

We might also sneak past Utah on their bye week even if they beat Washington. Oregon and Oklahoma have Helmet School Immunity unless they lose. Anybody in the top 4 is unreachable without two losses.
I'll only quibble that Oregon is not a helmet school. No nattys. [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have a couple of die hard Badger fan buddies from my time going to school across the river in western Wisconsin, they don't like their schools chances based on what they have seen the Gophers do this year so far. Normally I don't hear such talk from them but after what happened in Madison last year, and now how the first 5 of the conference have gone this year they aren't their usual cherry chipper selves.

I dunno, did SMU and App State win that day?

If we beat the #5 team in the nation by 17+, after a bye week where we sneak up a spot or two, I would think we would be top 7 material.

But all of that means nothing. We need to win 3 of the next 4 to ensure we win the West and our team needs to look no further than the next team on the schedule.

We can beat all of the teams on our schedule but we are far from good enough to think we can without 100% effort and focus! Row the freaking Boat one game at a time!

Go Gophers!

I am not sure of the ranking, but I do know this would happen after a 17+ point victory over Penn State:

Viking fans on Twitter would declare now that Penn State has their first loss and it was a relative blowout, it only proves the Gophers still haven't played anyone.

If both teams were in the SEC, it would likely vault the Gophers to about #4. Even a loss (which would be a quality loss in the SEC), would likely move their ranking up a spot or two.

Its nice to bask in the warm glow of 8 and 0 for 12 days....but I prefer to maintain at least a tenuous grip on reality. Well, just for fun in this sunny clime, I'll say #7. A lot would depend who has to be pushed aside to make room for our beloved Gophers.

I am not sure of the ranking, but I do know this would happen after a 17+ point victory over Penn State:

Viking fans on Twitter would declare now that Penn State has their first loss and it was a relative blowout, it only proves the Gophers still haven't played anyone.

Gonna have to win the National Championship to please those Vikings fans on Twitter that you’re referring to.

I am old enough to remember very similar chatter about an upcoming game right before the ill fated collapse against MI and then a rapid down hill slide in MN fortunes.
PSU is a very solid FB team on both sides of the ball that has faced stronger opponents than MN.
If MN beats them by any margin MN fans should be grateful to have dodged a bullet and if MN loses not to despair and lose he rest of November because of misplaced optimism over one game.

Gonna have to win the National Championship to please those Vikings fans on Twitter that you’re referring to.

They would say the whole NCAA was horrible.

They would also argue the 5th best team should have been in the playoff instead of whoever we beat.

I am old enough to remember very similar chatter about an upcoming game right before the ill fated collapse against MI and then a rapid down hill slide in MN fortunes.
PSU is a very solid FB team on both sides of the ball that has faced stronger opponents than MN.
If MN beats them by any margin MN fans should be grateful to have dodged a bullet and if MN loses not to despair and lose he rest of November because of misplaced optimism over one game.

Watch our game vs Iowa from last year.
Then watch PSU vs Iowa this year.

Let me know your thoughts.

Watch our game vs Iowa from last year.
Then watch PSU vs Iowa this year.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hard to use the game from last year against Iowa as a comparison. I did watch the replay of it last night. Annexstad threw 3 picks, we had a Robb Smith defense...just don’t think last years matchup is going to help gauge anything for this season. We did still put up 31 points on them though.

I think PSU will actually be #4 in the CFB rankings. Gophs win convincingly and #7/6 is not out of the question. Close win #8/9/10.

Hard to use the game from last year against Iowa as a comparison. I did watch the replay of it last night. Annexstad threw 3 picks, we had a Robb Smith defense...just don’t think last years matchup is going to help gauge anything for this season. We did still put up 31 points on them though.

The offense from last year moved the ball, but it wasn't a disciplined Tanner Morgan throwing the ball. Also, SS had his worst first half ever at right tackle in that game. Also, TJ Hockenson caught two TD's and he's not there anymore. Also, our defense is far better.

Expecting us to score 31 on Iowa again shouldn't be unreasonable.
Expecting us to hold Iowa to less than 28 shouldn't be impossible either. Rutgers held Iowa to 30.

When the gophers win by 10+
It will elevate their national profile to be the lowest rated of the unbeaten P5 with only the Bama-LSU rated in front of us.

That means 6th or higher

Top Bottom