Marcus: Isaiah Ihnen could have a broken wrist

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Ihnen spent Monday's warmups watching his teammates in street clothes. Gophers coach Richard Pitino will have an update after the game on the seriousness of Ihnen's injury, but it could be a broken wrist, according to sources.

The Gophers already lost frontcourt depth after Curry suffered a torn ACL in practice earlier this month. Senior forward Alihan Demir, a Drexel graduate transfer, is expected to start at power forward.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...hnen-out-tonight-with-wrist-injury/564006142/

Go Gophers!!

He needs to redshirt anyways, sucks if he can't take advantage of it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I was sitting nearby, Isaiah did not have a wrist wrapped, and neither one looked swollen. He was giving some awkward left-handed high 5s to players coming off. He was clapping (not hard) when we did well. That doesn't seem like a broken hand to me.

He needs to redshirt anyways, sucks if he can't take advantage of it.

We don't have enough bodies to redshirt anyone this year. Including Freeman, who really could use a sit out season.

We don't have enough bodies to redshirt anyone this year. Including Freeman, who really could use a sit out season.

This is spot on.

Haven't seen Ihnen play a minute of basketball, but after seeing the Gophers last night I can say with 100% confidence they need every BODY they have, especially guys pegged for the frontcourt.

And agreed on Freeman. ... good-sized kid, but he's as raw as all get-out. Some time & patience needed there.

If it is broken I hope it's atleast an awesome story

Anything more on Ihnen’s injury?

I am guessing that if it were serious he would have had a definitive medical ruling by now and we would know that he would be out X number of weeks.

Because we have so much talent and depth at the 3/4 ...
I know he's not going to redshirt, but after watching every second he played at the FIBA U20, while he will do things the wow you, there will be times where he will do something like fire a three pointer that hits the shot clock or forget to boxout. Redshirts rarely help, but I think this guy is the rate exception that could really benefit from it. Rodney Williams was another guy who would have too. Freeman would, but that's not reality either. If by some miracle we land Dawson or another high quality four, a redshirt would do wonders for Mitchell and I bet Wisco redshirts Crowl, which will help him mature as well.

I know he's not going to redshirt, but after watching every second he played at the FIBA U20, while he will do things the wow you, there will be times where he will do something like fire a three pointer that hits the shot clock or forget to boxout. Redshirts rarely help, but I think this guy is the rate exception that could really benefit from it. Rodney Williams was another guy who would have too. Freeman would, but that's not reality either. If by some miracle we land Dawson or another high quality four, a redshirt would do wonders for Mitchell and I bet Wisco redshirts Crowl, which will help him mature as well.

The list of players that UVA,Nova AND UW redshirted is long and the benefits to the players and how they contributed to fantastic success is extraordinary.

You watched it all...did he really hit the shot clock without getting fouled or shooting from half court as time expired? I’m just curious because that would be about 6 feet off target. (Most bad shooters still hit the rim.)

I’m betting he makes a respectable number of threes, if healthy AND once the jitters allow him to be comfortable. Ala Springs took until January sometime to play like he could. Ihnen might be similar despite being younger and from Germany, but I think he’ll surprise you.

It would be best for some of our recruits to redshirt, no argument. I don’t think it ever happens with our roster construction and we always seem to lose guys to injury to make things even thinner.

Last edited:

Really wish they would disclose something related to his injury even if he is "hopeful" for Saturday

Is it broken or not?

I’m thinking info in the OP by Marcus was poorly vetted. Surely solid news of a broken bone would have gotten out by now.

I’m thinking info in the OP by Marcus was poorly vetted. Surely solid news of a broken bone would have gotten out by now.

Agreed. The lack of an update tells me it wasn't as severe as originally thought. Maybe a sprain or bone bruise?

Top Bottom