Kamal, Paulson, T Smith, Nubin; Sori Marin, Oliver, Aune; Clark, Carter

swingman

Reaction score
random thoughts...

did not see Kamal, Paulson, T Smith, or Nubin against Maryland...is that correct? any others?

Sori Marin, Oliver, and Aune worked well in Martin's absence...Oliver beat on the one long play late?brought Winfield a lot in box to help as well...Rossi seemed more aggressive in general with some pressures

the ball Clark threw was even better live in person than on tv..
nice job by VanDyne on the catch as well.

the true frosh dlineman who got in late, DeAngelo Carter, jumped off the screen in watching the game...

SpannFord getting better in blocking it seems...good to have Ko Kieft back out there...loved when they played the six olineman and Kieft and SpannFord...used that six olinemen look late last year effectively

Last edited:

random thoughts...

did not see Kamal, Paulson, T Smith, or Nubin against Maryland...is that correct? any others?

Sori Marin, Oliver, and Aune worked well in Martin's absence...Oliver beat on the one long play late?brought Winfield a lot in box to help as well...Rossi seemed more aggressive in general with some pressures

the true frosh dlineman who got in late, DeAngelo Carter, jumped off the screen in watching the game...

SpannFord getting better in blocking it seems...good to have Ko Kieft back out there...loved when they played the six olineman and Kieft and SpannFord...used that six olinemen look late last year effectively
T Smith was in pads but did not play, maybe injured and Tyler Nubin was not in pads, similar to Kamal. Must have been injured as well.

I think Smith and Nubin both are on first team kick coverage.

random thoughts...

Thanks for the info on Aune. I'm glad to see that he played well. I hope that Clark will resist the urge to transfer. While Morgan is the clear starter now, I think that Clark could be special in 2 years or less. During recruiting, I liked him just as well as Duggan.

Thanks for the info on Aune. I'm glad to see that he played well. I hope that Clark will resist the urge to transfer. While Morgan is the clear starter now, I think that Clark could be special in 2 years or less. During recruiting, I liked him just as well as Duggan.

Why would Clark have an urge to transfer? I love these random thoughts. Explain yours in detail, i.e. the thoughts Clark is having right now.

Why would Clark have an urge to transfer? I love these random thoughts. Explain yours in detail, i.e. the thoughts Clark is having right now.

Can't speak for Clark personally but in case you haven't noticed, QBs transferring is not exactly a unique occurrence these days.

Obviously Clark is a still a complete unknown but that was a great throw in the Maryland game. Baring injury, Morgan looks like he will be the starter here for the next few years so you have to hope the backups are content to learn and develop on the sidelines without seeing a ton of game action until their opportunity comes up.

I'm not personally worried about Clark transferring, at least not yet but it is certainly understandable if some folks on here are.

First of all, in this day and age with the transfer portal, it seems like almost all highly rated QB's end up transferring if they don't win the job immediately or get beat out eventually (Fields, Kelly Bryant, Martell, Hunter Johnson, Jacob Eason, Jalen Hurts, Wimbush, Tommy Stevens, etc. In fact not only did Martell transfer from OSU when they brought in Field's, their 3rd string, Baldwin, transferred as well and they had to bring in transfer QB's from UK and WVU to fill the void.

Second, It sure looks like Morgan will be the starter for two more years after this year and it's possible Clark wasn't excepting to have to wait that long.

Third, Clark, when is was a sophomore in Kansas, he considered transferring to other HS's other districts in the state and ultimately transferred to a different state. Sounds like he was living with his mom in Kansas during the school year and dad in Texas in the summer but decided to live with dad full time in Texas and football was a big part of that.

He talked about it at 3:10 in the video

"The coaches and the schemes and all that just wasn't what we needed to succeed. There were some better things going on at other schools in our district and then in other states obviously like here.

So if Clark was willing to transfer to transfer to other programs for the betterment of his career in high school than it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he would transfer to other colleges if he believes that would be best for his career.

Last edited:

I don’t know a thing about Clark personally, so this is coming from my rear end.

But I would not at all be surprised if it was “not part of the plan that was sold to me” that Morgan would be the starter in 2020 or 2021.

Say all you want about “open” competition in the spring/fall. With as many reps as Morgan has with the 1 offense, both in practice and in games, it will be almost impossible to replace him at this point, as long as he stays healthy.

I don’t know a thing about Clark personally, so this is coming from my rear end.

But I would not at all be surprised if it was “not part of the plan that was sold to me” that Morgan would be the starter in 2020 or 2021.

Say all you want about “open” competition in the spring/fall. With as many reps as Morgan has with the 1 offense, both in practice and in games, it will be almost impossible to replace him at this point, as long as he stays healthy.

I doubt it will be an open competition.

Look at all the backup and third string QB's we've faced this year. Being backup for a year or two is not the end of the world. Bust your butt in practice and then be ready when the time comes to show what you can do. Next man up!

Look at all the backup and third string QB's we've faced this year. Being backup for a year or two is not the end of the world. Bust your butt in practice and then be ready when the time comes to show what you can do. Next man up!

Totally agree and it really just comes down to the kid. Does he like it where he is at enough to stick it out and wait for an opportunity or does he want to go chase the chance to play somewhere else? None of us knows what guys like Clark, Kraemer and ZA are going to do as it certainly looks like Morgan will be the guy unless one of them is off the charts amazing and able to replace him.

Injuries happen so hopefully they decide to stay put and keep working. But in this ever expanding world of transfers, especially at the QB position, it is definitely not a guarantee that any or all fo them will be content to wait their turn. Certainly not a bad thing for QBs to be able to develop and learn in practice as they mature but if a kid is desperate to play they are going to explore their options. Is what it is, just have to keep bringing in as many quality options as you can at all positions but especially at QB.

This is correct, in my opinion.

But some kids these days don't see it that way.

I doubt it will be an open competition.

I don't know ... Fleck really likes to say that.

Name the last spring or fall camp that Fleck has been here where he has not said that QB would be an open competition.

I'm a big Tanner Morgan fan, but put me in the category of people who think he does not have the 2020 starter job lined up.

QB's can get benched at any time.
We saw it during a CFP title game a couple years back where the veteran was benched, replaced, and now the QB at Oklahoma.

You play your best QB. That could be Jacob Clark next year.

I'm a big Tanner Morgan fan, but put me in the category of people who think he does not have the 2020 starter job lined up.

QB's can get benched at any time.
We saw it during a CFP title game a couple years back where the veteran was benched, replaced, and now the QB at Oklahoma.

You play your best QB. That could be Jacob Clark next year.

Not saying it can't happen or shouldn't happen. But the way Tanner has played for us, dating back to the second half of last season ..... that would be brutally cutthroat.

I don't know ... Fleck really likes to say that.

Name the last spring or fall camp that Fleck has been here where he has not said that QB would be an open competition.

This is only Fleck's third year and we've never had QB coming back with as much production as Tanner has had.

Fleck's first spring/fall practice the battle was between Rhoda and Croft, two guys who never started a game before

In Fleck's second spring the battle was between Morgan, Annexstad and Viramontes, 3 guys who never played in a D1 game before

In Fleck's third spring/fall camp, the battle was between Morgan and Annexstad, two guys who only started half a season each and both of which played at much worse level of play with much less production than what Morgan is doing right now.

I doubt there was a QB competition at WMU after Zach Terrell's sophomore year and I can't find anything to say there was.

This is only Fleck's third year and we've never had QB coming back with as much production as Tanner has had.

Fleck's first spring/fall practice the battle was between Rhoda and Croft, two guys who never started a game before

In Fleck's second spring the battle was between Morgan, Annexstad and Viramontes, 3 guys who never played in a D1 game before

In Fleck's third spring/fall camp, the battle was between Morgan and Annexstad, two guys who only started half a season each and both of which played at much worse level of play with much less production than what Morgan is doing right now.

I doubt there was a QB competition at WMU after Zach Terrell's sophomore year and I can't find anything to say there was.

Very good post. Appreciate it.

GH would be a much better place if people posted like this all the time.

I've done a little QB'ing back in my day and I've done my share of coaching so here's another perspective. There is a tremendous amount of mental growth between a players 1st year in an offense and their 2nd year. Growth certainly occurs in the 3rd, 4th, 5th years as well, but not by as much as that first year.

Just pure speculation here but I'd bet Coach Fleck and Ciarrocca watered down the offense last year to help Morgan and Annexstad get to a point where they could play with some level of confidence. Then, last spring, with 2 "seasoned" QBs they took the offense to the next level and it was up to the freshmen Clark and Kramer to get up to speed. This next spring, they'll probably take it up another notch. Will Clark and/or Kramer be caught up mentally and if not, at least very close? If so, at that point I think the physical abilities start coming more into play.

I agree with the opinion Morgan will be QB1 going into the Spring and rightfully so. I'm not sure that Annexstad will be the automatic QB2. If there is a name going into the portal next year, it may be his. There may very well be a battle in the fall and even if there isn't, the competition will be considerably closer than it is today.

Last edited:

You play the best player. If that's not Morgan, you better be sure.

I'm not personally worried about Clark transferring, at least not yet but it is certainly understandable if some folks on here are.

First of all, in this day and age with the transfer portal, it seems like almost all highly rated QB's end up transferring if they don't win the job immediately or get beat out eventually (Fields, Kelly Bryant, Martell, Hunter Johnson, Jacob Eason, Jalen Hurts, Wimbush, Tommy Stevens, etc. In fact not only did Martell transfer from OSU when they brought in Field's, their 3rd string, Baldwin, transferred as well and they had to bring in transfer QB's from UK and WVU to fill the void.

Second, It sure looks like Morgan will be the starter for two more years after this year and it's possible Clark wasn't excepting to have to wait that long.

Third, Clark, when is was a sophomore in Kansas, he considered transferring to other HS's other districts in the state and ultimately transferred to a different state. Sounds like he was living with his mom in Kansas during the school year and dad in Texas in the summer but decided to live with dad full time in Texas and football was a big part of that.

"The coaches and the schemes and all that just wasn't what we needed to succeed. There were some better things going on at other schools in our district and then in other states obviously like here.

So if Clark was willing to transfer to transfer to other programs for the betterment of his career in high school than it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he would transfer to other colleges if he believes that would be best for his career.

Great find on the video by the way.

The backups are an injury away from getting a shot at starting. It is Zach's misfortune, and Tanner's gain.

IMHO, this also accelerates the opportunity and the learning for both Cole and Jacob.

when talking about the QB position lets not forget that we have also have Athan joining the ranks in 2021. so if, and that's a big if, Clark or any other QB decides to transfer at least we have a very talented kid coming in 2021.

Clark is one big hit on Morgan away from being the starter. Most quarterbacks would love to have the offense we have to come in as the back-up.

Are we even 100% sure Clark is above Kramer on the depth chart? They seem pretty even to me.

Ya, I don’t think it’s a wide margin but it seemed Kramer was #2? PJ said Clark would rotate first chance next game but then Kramer followed again.

I don’t believe Zack is at all a distant second to Morgan, based on PJ’s comments which I have interpreted to tell me he prefers Zack. Zack will get a fair opportunity to play imo. Next four games will help decide a lot of things into the future.

Last edited:

It is Tanner Morgan's until proven otherwise. Why change something that is working? The next few games will provide more answers.

Tanner has been a winner from the day he first started playing QB at a young age.

I am just amazed at how far we've come conversation-wise from four years ago in regards to QBs.

Last edited:

Are we even 100% sure Clark is above Kramer on the depth chart? They seem pretty even to me.

Fleck’s QB depth chart for this season:

1 - Tanner Morgan
OR
2 - Tanner Morgan
OR
3 - Tanner Morgan

Complete lack of reps for backups this year, even against Rutgers, and barely one meaningful series for Clark against Maryland, shows that.

Kramer had a drive vs Rutgers I thought....

Kramer had a drive vs Rutgers I thought....

I think Kramer has been in two games.

Did anyone else see that pass from Jacob Clark to VanDyne?
It was beautiful.

By my unofficial tracker, Kramer can play two more games, Clark 3 more games. Annexstad 4 more games.

If Kramer happens to play in 5 or more, I am guessing he'll have good opportunity to redshirt next year or the year after as well.

Top Bottom