***OFFICIAL SW MINNESOTA STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

This was going to be a bit of a down year no matter what but the loss of Curry (again) is even more damaging given lack of depth at PF. Whether or not he would have played to his previous level of athleticism, there is no doubt that his experience, tenacity, and intelligence would have made a difference on the court. We have to hope that Ihnen and Omersa can grow into the position.

After only one weird game, here is my early take by position:

PG: Good shape. Carr, Willis and Greenlee can handle the duties.
SG: Great shape. Kalscheur and Willis an excellent duo.
SF: Good shape: Willis, Williams, Ihnen. Young after Willis, but great potential.

You notice I mentioned Willis in all three spots. He will play a LOT of minutes.

C: Good shape. Oturu and Freeman. I almost said just OK, because Freeman looks super raw, but Oturu is excellent. Can’t get injured.
PF: Disaster. This looks to be our undoing. Pitino really needed a top-notch grad transfer, but struck out. I really hope I’m wrong on Demir as it was only one weird game. People have bad games. After Demir we have Omersa and Hurt. All I can say is “ouch”. Nice guys and hard workers, but... Man are we going to miss Murphy, and Curry. I would love for the trio of Demir, Omersa and Hurt to prove me wrong. I will be cheering for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PF isn't nearly the disaster it was with Oto and Sophomore Joey King. Oturu is an upgrade over Mo and EE. Willis, Gabe and Carr give us the perimeter defense we've seen since the Haskins years. Can't have any more injuries, but this team won by 25 on the backs of good defense. They went down to Ames and won with good defense.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone who was able to see the game and provided there thoughts. One of my initial reactions to most posters thoughts here is that this certainly doesn't seem like a year where Pitino should only have 12 scholarship players. If you just take Hurt, Curry, and Freeman and don't expect a big role from any of them, you are down to 9 players who might be reasonable options for major minutes on a good team. Obviously, Curry is only listed there because there's no way you could/should have counted on him coming in to this year with his injury history. That's not even getting in to the rest of the roster where I am sure most posters can point to at least one or two guys that they wouldn't be comfortable with playing 20 minutes a game.
Coffey handcuffed him by taking it down to the wire. Is what it is.

PF isn't nearly the disaster it was with Oto and Sophomore Joey King. Oturu is an upgrade over Mo and EE. Willis, Gabe and Carr give us the perimeter defense we've seen since the Haskins years. Can't have any more injuries, but this team won by 25 on the backs of good defense. They went down to Ames and won with good defense.

I hope you are right on the PF comment. Based on the one game, I would trade any of the PFs we have for Joey King. He was a better shooting version of Demir.

A feature I have not seen before at Williams Arena is a dispenser of ear plugs near the men’s bathroom near the lobby. Unnecessary for the exhibition game, save for the overly enthusiastic PA announcer, but an option for future games.

8fc7ab8a4b751ce949e0419295c39383.plist

I hope you are right on the PF comment. Based on the one game, I would trade any of the PFs we have for Joey King. He was a better shooting version of Demir.

Not the sophomore version of King. I think I'd take Demir over that King. The senior King was pretty good.

Guys, let's stop burying Demir after an exhibition game and scrimmage. It's takes time to get acclimated to a new coach, new teammates, and new system. Again, exhibition games are almost impossible to get a read from. Pitino was not going to tip his hat.

Last edited:

I am worried about rebounding. I think Oturu will get us 10. Demir doesnt look like a rebounder. Omersa has the body but didn't have the balance/instincts last year. If Gabe is the sf in our lineup he put up 2 a game last year.

This was going to be a bit of a down year no matter what but the loss of Curry (again) is even more damaging given lack of depth at PF. Whether or not he would have played to his previous level of athleticism, there is no doubt that his experience, tenacity, and intelligence would have made a difference on the court. We have to hope that Ihnen and Omersa can grow into the position.

I've been told over and over that we are building and the expectation is to be better than last year. If Pitino was actually expecting contributions from Curry, that's on him as Curry has been injured non-stop over the past few seasons and frankly was a shell of his former self when he played last year. Pitino has had some bad luck with injuries in the past, but he doesn't get to use Curry as an excuse for this year.

I've been told over and over that we are building and the expectation is to be better than last year. If Pitino was actually expecting contributions from Curry, that's on him as Curry has been injured non-stop over the past few seasons and frankly was a shell of his former self when he played last year. Pitino has had some bad luck with injuries in the past, but he doesn't get to use Curry as an excuse for this year.

I believe we will be better this year. I'm fine being in the minority, but I do believe it. This team will be significantly harder to guard and be more diverse offensively and will defend better. Pack line systems typically require guards to rebound a little more also. Tre Williams, Peyton, and Gabe are more than fine for that. Omersa is an energy guy who can rebound too. Individual RPG is almost a worthless stat anyways and not something a ton of coaches put stock into. They breakdown film and will look at opposing teams or count missed block outs.

I understand peoples worry when we lost guys playing that many minutes, but I am not as worried yet and like the construction of this team personally.

Guys, let's stop burying Demir after an exhibition game and scrimmage. It's takes time to get acclimated to a new coach, new teammates, and new system. Again, exhibition games are almost impossible to get a read from. Pitino was not going to tip his hat.

Fair enough. It was probably way too early, and hopefully an off game.

Top Bottom