***OFFICIAL SW MINNESOTA STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Greenlee is solid. Always in control. Plays great defense and knocks down the open 3.

Against a rebuilding D-II school, we should be looking at 90-100 points. We have 59 with 8 minutes left.

If you were going off tonight, your starters would be Greenlee, Willis, Gabe, Omersa and Oturu.

Sorry to say it but Alihan looking like he is from Drexel. Hoping that changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like we have solid ball movement on offense and rotations on defense. It was a decent preview into our identity for the real season.

Greenlee is solid. Always in control. Plays great defense and knocks down the open 3.

I really like Greenlee. He is a true point guard, has quickness and looks to facilitate. Carr to me, is not a point guard. Carr has great ability to get to the hole but he plays for his own looks- at least tonight.

I liked some things defensively, but the offense was not very impressive at all.

Pitino needs to hire a new free throw coach.

Weird night at The Barn.

My analysis:
Oturu: got bigger. Didn’t play particularly well but I have no worries about him
Gabe: looked good. Didn’t seem overly assertive but that doesn’t worry me
Carr: dribbles too much. Will get some buckets though. Worked hard on defense at times, other times did not
Willis: nice looking shot, works hard defensively, good passer and ball handler
Demir: eh. Looks like a player. Lacks athleticism maybe. Had a couple nice buckets. Passive.
Hurt: doesn’t belong on the floor
Omersa: looks really improved. Athletic obviously. Better defensive positioning. Made a couple nice passes.
Greenlee: True PG. made a couple 3s (banked one). I like him. Small.
William: long, active, athletic. Very good defender. Made some shots. Seemed calm and ready for the game. Composed. I’m a fan.
Freeman: big. Raw doesn’t begin to describe

Rudrud, Conroy and Ihnen did not play. Good attitudes in the bench though.

Even with Curry out, I think there's a chance Freeman gets red shirted.

After only one weird game, here is my early take by position:

PG: Good shape. Carr, Willis and Greenlee can handle the duties.
SG: Great shape. Kalscheur and Willis an excellent duo.
SF: Good shape: Willis, Williams, Ihnen. Young after Willis, but great potential.

You notice I mentioned Willis in all three spots. He will play a LOT of minutes.

C: Good shape. Oturu and Freeman. I almost said just OK, because Freeman looks super raw, but Oturu is excellent. Can’t get injured.
PF: Disaster. This looks to be our undoing. Pitino really needed a top-notch grad transfer, but struck out. I really hope I’m wrong on Demir as it was only one weird game. People have bad games. After Demir we have Omersa and Hurt. All I can say is “ouch”. Nice guys and hard workers, but... Man are we going to miss Murphy, and Curry. I would love for the trio of Demir, Omersa and Hurt to prove me wrong. I will be cheering for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going in my hope was for us to match last year based on Carr being an upgrade at PG, Gabe and Oturu being more consistent and a better bench offsetting the loss of Curry/Coffey. However, I'm not sure Carr is an upgrade over McBreyer, and the drop off from Murphy to Demir is worse than feared.

Thanks to everyone who was able to see the game and provided there thoughts. One of my initial reactions to most posters thoughts here is that this certainly doesn't seem like a year where Pitino should only have 12 scholarship players. If you just take Hurt, Curry, and Freeman and don't expect a big role from any of them, you are down to 9 players who might be reasonable options for major minutes on a good team. Obviously, Curry is only listed there because there's no way you could/should have counted on him coming in to this year with his injury history. That's not even getting in to the rest of the roster where I am sure most posters can point to at least one or two guys that they wouldn't be comfortable with playing 20 minutes a game.

Thanks to everyone who was able to see the game and provided there thoughts. One of my initial reactions to most posters thoughts here is that this certainly doesn't seem like a year where Pitino should only have 12 scholarship players. If you just take Hurt, Curry, and Freeman and don't expect a big role from any of them, you are down to 9 players who might be reasonable options for major minutes on a good team. Obviously, Curry is only listed there because there's no way you could/should have counted on him coming in to this year with his injury history. That's not even getting in to the rest of the roster where I am sure most posters can point to at least one or two guys that they wouldn't be comfortable with playing 20 minutes a game.

We haven't gone 9 deep in awhile. Let's pump the brakes a bit. It was an exhibition game and Pitino explicitly said after that he purposely didn't run any plays or sets as he didn't want to show anything. Let's wait til we play Oklahoma.

We haven't gone 9 deep in awhile. Let's pump the brakes a bit. It was an exhibition game and Pitino explicitly said after that he purposely didn't run any plays or sets as he didn't want to show anything. Let's wait til we play Oklahoma.

It was very obvious they didn’t run anything. Still had some good offense at times

One of my initial reactions to most posters thoughts here is that this certainly doesn't seem like a year where Pitino should only have 12 scholarship players. If you just take Hurt, Curry, and Freeman and don't expect a big role from any of them, you are down to 9 players who might be reasonable options for major minutes on a good team.

I'm going to have to disagree here. Usually, I'm a George Allen type of guy ("The future is now!") when it comes to banking scholarships but I think leaving a scholarship open last season was a good decision. Remember that we only had 1 commit going into the spring recruiting season. I think Pitino did about as well as he could filling out the roster in the spring but he made a wise decision to stop where he did. The team may not be very good this year but I'm not sure that it would have been measurably improved by adding another late signing recruit.

We have had two pretty decent commits so far this fall and we have one scholarship left. Maybe that will go to someone like Garcia or, if not, to a good recruit or grad transfer in the spring. Under the circumstances, I'd rather have another open scholarship than another person on the roster unless that person was another grad transfer but getting another forward grad transfer last spring may have been difficult.

Sample size....one game. Deep breath....long season

I'd be VERY hesitant in reading much into what happened last night. These exhibition games are always played at a super slow pace in front of a weird atmosphere.

We'll know a little bit after Cleveland State. Then things will get real in a hurry with Oklahoma, Butler, and Utah.

I'd be VERY hesitant in reading much into what happened last night. These exhibition games are always played at a super slow pace in front of a weird atmosphere.

We'll know a little bit after Cleveland State. Then things will get real in a hurry with Oklahoma, Butler, and Utah.

I was there and a little discouraged, but we will know a lot more after the games you mention. Taking two or even all three would tell us a lot about what this team could do. I could see them losing all three as well.

I haven't read the thread, but I was most impressed with Willis. Decent shooter, good passer, really took good shots. Gabe was Gabe and clearly looking to shoot and score more than he did last year. Oturu was a beast, but it would be nice to see him finish more consistently. Carr was a bit of a disappointment in the viewing, but I think he had six assists which surprised me. They were pretty quiet. Looks like lots of role players, but not enough weapons to step up and control a game. Hard to win in the B1G with a roster like that.

I really liked the play at the 1, 2, and 3 last night. They didn't show much offensively, but you can definitely see the improved shooting and better options.

The power forward looks to be a disaster this year. Albeit a very small sample size.

Oturu needs to stay healthy and on the floor or this team won't win many games in conference. Freeman hardly saw the floor even in a meaningless exhibition game. He has a long ways to go.

I really liked the play at the 1, 2, and 3 last night. They didn't show much offensively, but you can definitely see the improved shooting and better options.

The power forward looks to be a disaster this year. Albeit a very small sample size.

Oturu needs to stay healthy and on the floor or this team won't win many games in conference. Freeman hardly saw the floor even in a meaningless exhibition game. He has a long ways to go.

A good PF would totally change the look of this team. Demir and Hurt were invisible. Guard play looks good except Carr needs to play smarter. He has the talent. They will need to get the ball into Oturu every possession in my view- work it inside and then get open looks on the perimeter.

A good PF would totally change the look of this team. Demir and Hurt were invisible. Guard play looks good except Carr needs to play smarter. He has the talent. They will need to get the ball into Oturu every possession in my view- work it inside and then get open looks on the perimeter.

It could end up four guards and Daniel inside, with Tre Williams as the fourth guard. He appears to have a high motor, is listed at 6-5, and could end up being an effective rebounder. Demir did not look ready for the B1G, and Michael is Michael. He'll give ten minutes of hustle and mistake free basketball, but he can't compete underneath with bigger stronger guys.

We really need Ihnen back. He has to see the floor, and be pretty good.

Only exhibition but some thoughts - MAKE some damn free throws!!!! Left 14 points on misses. We never seem to make a one on one! Demir is not division one talent. Oturu was short on most of his bunnies. When he was out rebounding was a problem... Liked Willis alot... We have 4 Big Ten players - oturu, Kelsh, Willis and Carr.... Hopefully Ihnen and get some playing time.... also liked Greenlee - best freshman so far.... Beat PSU!!!

I certainly see why Pitino compared this team to his first squad. That team had Mo Walker as it's only size, Elliot was there but just couldn't adjust to Pitino and was ineffective. The sophomore version of Joey King was our power forward and we had really good guards in Austin Hollins, Andre Hollins and lil Dre Mathieu. Nice depth for shooters with Malik and Otto. Oturu is better than Walker (although Walker had some slick footwork) but this current team will need Demir to step up and Ihnen to develop or we have serious problems at the 4 spot. That team could really shoot. This team will need to be much, much better defensively than Pitino's first squad to compete.

Only exhibition but some thoughts - MAKE some damn free throws!!!! Left 14 points on misses. We never seem to make a one on one! Demir is not division one talent. Oturu was short on most of his bunnies. When he was out rebounding was a problem... Liked Willis alot... We have 4 Big Ten players - oturu, Kelsh, Willis and Carr.... Hopefully Ihnen and get some playing time.... also liked Greenlee - best freshman so far.... Beat PSU!!!

You know Demir played D1 basketball before he came to the U right?

You know Demir played D1 basketball before he came to the U right?

D-1 is pretty big, too. Demir is D-1 but needs to prove he is B1G quality. That remains to be seen. I'm not willing to bury a guy on one outing. He has to be competitive or this team is going to have a rough time of it.

Demir was an All-Colonial Athletic Association Third Team selection last year. Was second on the team in both scoring (14.8) and rebounding (6.4). In the conference he ranked in the top-16 in five different categories: eighth in field goal percentage (51.2), 10th in rebounding, 13th in blocks (0.6) 14th in assists (2.9), and 16th in scoring.

Demir was an All-Colonial Athletic Association Third Team selection last year. Was second on the team in both scoring (14.8) and rebounding (6.4). In the conference he ranked in the top-16 in five different categories: eighth in field goal percentage (51.2), 10th in rebounding, 13th in blocks (0.6) 14th in assists (2.9), and 16th in scoring.

Now you’re talk’n Turkey!

Top Bottom