Let's not go crazy re. Gophers to National Playoffs

Where have all these new posters come from to tell us not to be excited about the team? Strikes me as odd. Same person under different monikers?

Same folks who show up after a loss to tell us to fire PJ & Co.

This is a very good Gophers team and Fleck has done a great job, but its best not to set expectations too high. There's a wide, wide gap between very good and elite. Alabama and Clemson are where other hopeful teams find their dreams up in smoke. Its possible the Gophers will win the West, but very unlikely they'd beat OSU and more unlikely still Alabama or Clemson.

Just a reminder, as some other posts are beginning to envision a trip to the playoffs. So its like they'll be disappointed if we only play on New Years Day. Get real.

Enjoy the ride

Well under Fleck, we’ve been seeing the “bad Gopher history” become just that. History. The pessimist is strong in you, I feel it. If you haven’t noticed we hadn’t beaten Wisconsin at Camp Randall since I was 3. But we did it to end the season last year. We haven’t been 8-0 since my grandma was born. But we are now. We haven’t been 5-0 in the conference since 1961. But we are now.

I’m not saying you’re wrong for being pessimistic, but maybe it’s time to start opening your mind up to the idea that we may have turned the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is the possibility that the Gophers win out. I also think if they finish with 4 losses that they have turned the corner. Fleck did the critical part when he built in a culture, a identity and did it requiring high character. Sure his outgoing style rubs some people the wrong way but he is comfortable with who he is, his players love him and he is a great teacher. If fans can not enjoy 5-0 in conference for the first time in most posters lives, when will they enjoy anything. He is the best coach we have had in basketball or football in a very very long time.

What's the matter, Slab? Don't you want someone telling you how you are supposed to feel?

They're just trying to be helpful.

Like nobody standing in the concession line is telling everyone how much our team sucks.

But damn some of these fans online who come out of the woodwork randomly...

Pot. Kettle.

Guilty as charged.

But in my own defense: attempting to get "fans" fired up (on a fanbase web site, no, less), seems quite fitting and proper.

Conversely, constant attempts to tamp down enthusiasm (see the OP for reference) seem rather odd, especially considering the venue.

Throw in the objective fact that this team has started 8-0 for the first time since 1941, and the wet blanket types appear even more... what's the best word? Trollish?

I'm not talking about you, Spoof. I meant the OP, specifically.

I did not send this from my iPhone, and I am not using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I can come to only one conclusion on these strange fans. They are badger troll accounts.

Can someone just validate that my expectation we win the West isn't ridiculous anymore?

Can someone just validate that my expectation we win the West isn't ridiculous anymore?

Not ridiculous at all.

But IMO still kinda cloudy...

I really think when stress tested finally we will know much more.

You’ll have to wait until November 10th for your validation. There will be plenty of it after beating PSU.

I think it was an unreasonable expectation in summer.

I am wrong about 52% of the time however.

I think it was an unreasonable expectation in summer.

I am wrong about 52% of the time however.

Loser mentality ^^^^^

4 games left and we have a 2 game lead in the division and people are still making excuses. Same losers as before.

Loser mentality ^^^^^

4 games left and we have a 2 game lead in the division and people are still making excuses. Same losers as before.

I was just pointing out I was wrong.
I was optimistic for a 8-9 win season, but it wasn't my expectation. For those who expected it, you were more correct than I was.
I've stuck my next out this week saying we are beating PSU by 17. (Working on changing my loser mentality).

Loser mentality ^^^^^

Hey he’s changing his best. His loser mentality is better than it was yesterday.

I was just pointing out I was wrong.
I was optimistic for a 8-9 win season, but it wasn't my expectation. For those who expected it, you were more correct than I was.
I've stuck my next out this week saying we are beating PSU by 17. (Working on changing my loser mentality).

You are changing your best! Good for you! Sorry, you are no longer a loser.

Your expectation was never ridiculous!

Fact is, you were ahead of the curve in expecting this team to achieve more than most people thought they possibly could.

If we look back to what was posted here before the season started, you'll see that many posters were very uncomfortable with the idea of raised expectations.

You were one of the more prescient ones, who saw the team's true potential.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aXJhDltzYVQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Your expectation was never ridiculous!

Fact is, you were ahead of the curve in expecting this team to achieve more than most people thought they possibly could.

If we look back to what was posted here before the season started, you'll see that many posters were very uncomfortable with the idea of raised expectations.

You were one of the more prescient ones, who saw the team's true potential.

Well I wasn't 100% right, I predicted the winner of the west would have 2 or maybe even 3 losses. When the Gophers win out they will sure make me look stupid!

Conversely, constant attempts to tamp down enthusiasm (see the OP for reference) seem rather odd, especially considering the venue.

They sure do seem odd, but it has been happening on here for a few years now. Not long ago if someone thought you were too “enthusiastic” they actually accused you of wanting the Gophers to fail. Seriously, it happened. A lot. The only difference here is some tampers are now the tamped and they don’t like it. Huh.

I try to avoid tamping, both as a tamper of others and as a recipient of the, um, tamping.

I much prefer a 'tamp-free' environment.

However, if people insist on taking a wet-blanket approach to a season that has been a thrill-ride, full of historic milestones, I'll admit I do find their attitude somewhat curious — especially on a fan forum.

And I know what you mean about the notion that showing too much enthusiasm (supposedly) indicates "wanting the Gophers to fail". In fact, I have seen a post or two, even recently, that seemed to express the concern that too much success on the field this season might lead to raising expectations too high for next season.

That's an attitude I really can't fathom.

They sure do seem odd, but it has been happening on here for a few years now. Not long ago if someone thought you were too “enthusiastic” they actually accused you of wanting the Gophers to fail. Seriously, it happened. A lot. The only difference here is some tampers are now the tamped and they don’t like it. Huh.

We have full generations of gopher fans who have the loser mentality beat into them. It will take a lot of winning for them to come around. You don't lose the loser mentality over night after it has gripped your balls for 60 years.

Fleck will take his oar and beat the loser mentality off one ball at a time if he has to!

Go gophers!

We have full generations of gopher fans who have the loser mentality beat into them. It will take a lot of winning for them to come around. You don't lose the loser mentality over night after it has gripped your balls for 60 years.

Fleck will take his oar and beat the loser mentality off one ball at a time if he has to!

Go gophers!

He's pretty much beat it out of me already. There's been some disappointing losses along the way, but in terms of wins, we haven't seen monumental beatdowns like this in a long time...maybe ever. Stretching back to that turnaround win over PU last year, the Gophers are just destroying people (minus very dicey non-con this year!).

We also haven't seen a team with this killer instinct very often. That Indiana game last year was rough in many ways, but I can't imagine any past Gopher team blowing a lead like that and calmly coming back out and hitting a 70 yard bomb for the winning score. Ditto two game winning drives this year's non-con.

I'm a believer. PSU is going down next week.

I'm not taking this advice. I'm going crazy.

Top Bottom