Let's not go crazy re. Gophers to National Playoffs

OldBob53

Reaction score
This is a very good Gophers team and Fleck has done a great job, but its best not to set expectations too high. There's a wide, wide gap between very good and elite. Alabama and Clemson are where other hopeful teams find their dreams up in smoke. Its possible the Gophers will win the West, but very unlikely they'd beat OSU and more unlikely still Alabama or Clemson.

Just a reminder, as some other posts are beginning to envision a trip to the playoffs. So its like they'll be disappointed if we only play on New Years Day. Get real.

I'm never going to let me dreams be lowered just to match my expectations.

I do not expect to win the Big Ten or win a nattie, but you bet your ass I'm dreaming of it with the way this season has started.

This is a very good Gophers team and Fleck has done a great job, but its best not to set expectations too high. There's a wide, wide gap between very good and elite. Alabama and Clemson are where other hopeful teams find their dreams up in smoke. Its possible the Gophers will win the West, but very unlikely they'd beat OSU and more unlikely still Alabama or Clemson.

Just a reminder, as some other posts are beginning to envision a trip to the playoffs. So its like they'll be disappointed if we only play on New Years Day. Get real.

Where are these posts? Who is disappointed if we only play on New Year's Day?

I'm never going to let me dreams be lowered just to match my expectations.

I do not expect to win the Big Ten or win a nattie, but you bet your ass I'm dreaming of it with the way this season has started.

same. I dont need anyone to bring down my high. You want to not think about what could be? Get off my cloud.

I'm still going to dream big. I think we will get a good bowl game regardless, but I am dreaming of a B1G championship and a CFP invite. Row!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

There is someone (or multiple people) that have reached the point they will be disappointed with the season if the Gophers don't make it to the college football playoff? Someone here would be disappointed with the Outback Bowl? Please provide a link because I'd like to call them out. People overreacting on a message board are fun to call out. I'd say national playoff expectations are overreacting. I also think dreaming such people into existence when nobody is saying things like this is also a big overreaction. Is it possible you are the one overreacting?

dreaming and expecting are worlds apart. I think it is okay to dream and speculate.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

OldBob is either onto something or on something

Truthfully, I don't expect to make the CFP. I'd be lying though if I said I haven't had that conversation with my wife, my dogs, the dude next to me at work who only kinda like Gopher football and of course myself.

WHAT IF is a fun game. I'm having a blast. I'm so focused on this team and the good feelings around it that I'll dream a dream for all of Gopherland.

OldBob is either onto something or on something

Truthfully, I don't expect to make the CFP. I'd be lying though if I said I haven't had that conversation with my wife, my dogs, the dude next to me at work who only kinda like Gopher football and of course myself.

WHAT IF is a fun game. I'm having a blast. I'm so focused on this team and the good feelings around it that I'll dream a dream for all of Gopherland.

Heck yeah! Beat PSU and the WHAT IF game gets even better! Top 10 ranking! Inside track to the B1G title game!

Wait... what am I supposed to hope for, and what am I not supposed to hope for?

I want to follow your instructions perfectly. I'd feel awful if my unreasonable expectations were to vex you, or cause you any concern, OldBob53.

Wait... what am I supposed to hope for, and what am I not supposed to hope for?

I want to follow your instructions perfectly. I'd feel awful if my unreasonable expectations were to vex you, or cause you any concern, OldBob53.

In defense of the OP, I think using the word “expectations” takes away from his more salient point.

Which, I believe, is that many posters are putting more importance on this one game than it deserves. Winning this game will in no way signal that the Gophers are now among the elite. In fact, I can tell you with absolute certainty the Gophers are not among the elite. Conversely, losing this game doesn’t take anything away from the accomplishments to date. Further, a loss won’t mean our program isn’t headed in the right direction and ahead of schedule.

Only 39 posts, but you certainly have the “Minnesota Way” down pat.

This guy is onto something. I just hope they don't get blown out too badly by Penn St, and keep the Axe game respectable. Don't get your hopes up against Iowa either. It's good to keep an even keel, level head about this. Let's all be realistic. That's what being a fan is all about. We should all be dancing in the streets if they finish 9-3. And the bowl game will be gravy, win or lose (although it may be an SEC team, so lets be sensible about our expectations).

This guy is onto something. I just hope they don't get blown out too badly by Penn St, and keep the Axe game respectable. Don't get your hopes up against Iowa either. It's good to keep an even keel, level head about this. Let's all be realistic. That's what being a fan is all about. We should all be dancing in the streets if they finish 9-3. And the bowl game will be gravy, win or lose (although it may be an SEC team, so lets be sensible about our expectations).

Some fans are afraid to be a legend.

I'd like to see the Gophers enter the 4 team playoff and beat some of the top 3 teams. I think the top 4 teams, especially Bama & The CLAPson will be interned.

Thats why I would like to see an 8 team playoff system for the FBS. The winners of the top 5 P% conferences get an auto bid with 3 open bids that have the best records and deserve a spot. To make things easer the top 4 teams get the home field advantage to insure a full stadium and to stop the average fan for paying for a long range bowl trip. The final 4 go to the selected bowl sites for that year.

The rest of the P5 and G5 can still go to a bowl. There is no way that a P5 team below #8 would make it to the top 4 after the playoff results.

Still I'd love to see you beat any of the top 4 especially Bama.

If the Gophers win out next year I think you have a chance at the playoffs but I think the selection comity would like to see the Gophers show consistency. If their were an 8 team playoff you might have been able to get in if you won out.

Here's how the entire top 25 shakes out. First-place votes are in parenthesis.
1. Alabama (40)
2. LSU (7)
3. Clemson (10)
4. Ohio State (8)
5. Penn State
6. Florida
7. Georgia
8. Oregon
9. Oklahoma
10. Utah
11. Baylor
12. Auburn
13. Minnesota
14. SMU
15. Michigan
16. Notre Dame
17. Wisconsin
18. Cincinnati
19. Iowa
20. Appalachian State
21. Boise State
22. Wake Forest

Not to sound like Coach Fleck but all I am concerned with is Penn St., focus on the present.

I'd like to see the Gophers enter the 4 team playoff and beat some of the top 3 teams. I think the top 4 teams, especially Bama & The CLAPson will be interned.

Thats why I would like to see an 8 team playoff system for the FBS. The winners of the top 5 P% conferences get an auto bid with 3 open bids that have the best records and deserve a spot. To make things easer the top 4 teams get the home field advantage to insure a full stadium and to stop the average fan for paying for a long range bowl trip. The final 4 go to the selected bowl sites for that year.

The rest of the P5 and G5 can still go to a bowl. There is no way that a P5 team below #8 would make it to the top 4 after the playoff results.

Still I'd love to see you beat any of the top 4 especially Bama.

If the Gophers win out next year I think you have a chance at the playoffs but I think the selection comity would like to see the Gophers show consistency. If their were an 8 team playoff you might have been able to get in if you won out.

Here's how the entire top 25 shakes out. First-place votes are in parenthesis.
1. Alabama (40)
2. LSU (7)
3. Clemson (10)
4. Ohio State (8)
5. Penn State
6. Florida
7. Georgia
8. Oregon
9. Oklahoma
10. Utah
11. Baylor
12. Auburn
13. Minnesota
14. SMU
15. Michigan
16. Notre Dame
17. Wisconsin
18. Cincinnati
19. Iowa
20. Appalachian State
21. Boise State
22. Wake Forest

Nah, if we win out with wins over Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio State (Big Ten championship game), we’re in.

In defense of the OP, I think using the word “expectations” takes away from his more salient point.

Which, I believe, is that many posters are putting more importance on this one game than it deserves. Winning this game will in no way signal that the Gophers are now among the elite. In fact, I can tell you with absolute certainty the Gophers are not among the elite. Conversely, losing this game doesn’t take anything away from the accomplishments to date. Further, a loss won’t mean our program isn’t headed in the right direction and ahead of schedule.

WOW!

Thank goodness that, unlike some of us, you and OldBob know exactly how much importance this game deserves, and are here to tell us!

Also, it is really good to know "with absolute certainty the Gophers are not among the elite."

I mean... absolute certainty! That's such a rare thing these days! What a godsend to have absolute certainty!

Otherwise, some of us might have, literally, gotten too excited about this game. At that point, we may have been forced to leave Minnesota, The Land of Stoics.

Whew! That was a close call. I think I saw my life flash before my eyes for a moment there. So glad you saved me, and helped poor me get my feet back on the ground.

Nah, if we win out with wins over Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio State (Big Ten championship game), we’re in.

Yes, this is true. We are the only B1G West team and one of only 3 B1G teams who can say that they will be in the CFP if they win out.

WOW!

Thank goodness that, unlike some of us, you and OldBob know exactly how much importance this game deserves, and are here to tell us!

Also, it is really good to know "with absolute certainty the Gophers are not among the elite."

I mean... absolute certainty! That's such a rare thing these days! What a godsend to have absolute certainty!

Otherwise, some of us might have, literally, gotten too excited about this game. At that point, we may have been forced to leave Minnesota, The Land of Stoics.

Whew! That was a close call. I think I saw my life flash before my eyes for a moment there. So glad you saved me, and helped poor me get my feet back on the ground.

Glad I can be of service. It’s always good to have an accurate assessment of reality. Now if you want to know how you too can be absolutely certain that the Gophers are not currently among the collage football elite, I would be happy to take you under my wing. I must warn you, it will not be with out work.

More “expectations” lectures. Great.

Some people think we are better than other people do. Alert the Media!

Always OK for others to speculate on here —- as long as it is exactly what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad I can be of service. It’s always good to have an accurate assessment of reality. Now if you want to know how you too can be absolutely certain that the Gophers are not currently among the collage football elite, I would be happy to take you under my wing. I must warn you, it will not be with out work.

How about this as an alternative idea: No thanks.

Here's a counter-proposal:

I'll decide — for myself — how I feel, how excited I am, how excited I ought to be. And I also will decide for myself what is "certain" and what is merely the opinion of some guy who may or may not be just another random gasbag.

In return, I'll magnanimously grant you the same right!

Fair enough?

Excellent.

Last edited:

Top Bottom