PJ Fleck addressed his future at Minnesota on Sunday: “I absolutley love it here.”

Again, it all comes down to this: What does Fleck Want?

And we cannot and will not know the answer until or unless another school comes along and offers a $6 mill/yr deal. Then, and only then, will we find out two things:

1. what level of salary is the U of MN willing to pay to try and keep Fleck, and

2. what is most important to Fleck? Money? Facilities? Support from the school? quality of Life?

it could be that Fleck prefers to stay in MN, and salary is not a deal-breaker. Or, it could be that more money at a helmet school is what he's looking for.

But we won't know until someone makes that offer.

I don't think he wants or needs to leave. He's got a good power five job at a school with good facilities and is likely to have a pay bump coming his way. The University has allowed him to tack 'Row The Boat' EVERYWHERE.....even put an oar (which was hideous) on the helmets in year two. As others have said....he takes a job at a helmet school....'Row The Boat' is going to take a backseat. USC is unlikely to uproot tradition due to recent success.

Fleck and Heather have built a connection with the Masonic Children's Hospital. Not only that, but they've sold the team on the importance of giving back. I think this is truly important to them....and it directly connects with PJ's 'Row The Boat' mantra.....which some people think is manufactured and tacky.....but many of us know has a personal connection to some of the hardships that PJ has gone through. He's a midwest guy too. I believe that he's comfortable in this part of the country. If his critics in Minnesota, due to his enthusiasm and his methodology, were too harsh, I would think that USC would be the last place that he'd want to go.

Finally....he's already doing a great job here (minus the clock management follies) and has earned himself a long leash. He's not even 40 years old. I don't want to compare him to Lane Kiffen....because I think he's proven to be a much better coach (and not a complete dink)....but would it really be in his best interests to cut ties and bolt for "greener" pastures this quickly? Just a few mediocre to good seasons at USC could have Fleck back at an FAU type school. They expect immediate results. Like Fleck said....Minnesota is a sleeping giant. Being in the Big Ten....there is no reason to think that the Gophers cannot compete for the West and the conference every year if Fleck stays and the administration throws their support behind the program....which I believe they would if we become a yearly contender.

This isn't the year for him to bolt.

Most (9?) of the starting offense returns next year with Mo to take over the RB position and Autman-Bell to take Johnson's spot.

Lots of good undergrads moving up on the defensive side.

If we finish strong, won't we be favored to win the West next year? Winning the West once may get you a better job, but winning it back to back opens way more doors.

Including bank vaults.

Most (9?) of the starting offense returns next year with Mo to take over the RB position and Autman-Bell to take Johnson's spot.

If we finish strong, won't we be favored to win the West next year? Winning the West once may get you a better job, but winning it back to back opens way more doors.

Including bank vaults.

Any year can be a year to bolt if you finish with 9-10 wins at Minnesota.

Again, it all comes down to this: What does Fleck Want?

And we cannot and will not know the answer until or unless another school comes along and offers a $6 mill/yr deal. Then, and only then, will we find out two things:

1. what level of salary is the U of MN willing to pay to try and keep Fleck, and

2. what is most important to Fleck? Money? Facilities? Support from the school? quality of Life?

it could be that Fleck prefers to stay in MN, and salary is not a deal-breaker. Or, it could be that more money at a helmet school is what he's looking for.

But we won't know until someone makes that offer.

You are correct.

I've heard him say in a meeting with boosters "I have plenty of money, it's not about that". He isn't bolting for a helmet school because of his own salary.
What he will want is a commitment from the school to not nickel and dime the program and cut their budget. I think he said they had a 10% budget cut to deal with- that is the crap that will get him to leave to a different school- so this is Coyle being able to go all-in on this and getting the regents and the new president to "get it" so that we can keep Fleck for as long as we want him (and not him wanting us)
He will expect to see increased alumni giving and corporate support for the program now that we are winning- he will expect that we can sell EVERY player locker for $1,000- for example.
He lamented having to pick up the tab to take the team to a WWE event himself to give them a life experience and team-building event (it wasn't in the budget) yet at other schools, they spend big on this student experience. (He specifically referenced Michigan taking their team to France- FRANCE! )

These are the little things that he clearly thinks will make the difference in winning at the next level- it is just a question if we, as a university and fanbase are willing to do it.

I hope that we are.

Any year can be a year to bolt if you finish with 9-10 wins at Minnesota.

I understand the sentiment, but isn’t it true that we’ve more often fired coaches who have won us 9-10 games than been left by them?

Feels a little like the dreaded vote of confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard him say in a meeting with boosters "I have plenty of money, it's not about that". He isn't bolting for a helmet school because of his own salary.
What he will want is a commitment from the school to not nickel and dime the program and cut their budget. I think he said they had a 10% budget cut to deal with- that is the crap that will get him to leave to a different school- so this is Coyle being able to go all-in on this and getting the regents and the new president to "get it" so that we can keep Fleck for as long as we want him (and not him wanting us)
He will expect to see increased alumni giving and corporate support for the program now that we are winning- he will expect that we can sell EVERY player locker for $1,000- for example.
He lamented having to pick up the tab to take the team to a WWE event himself to give them a life experience and team-building event (it wasn't in the budget) yet at other schools, they spend big on this student experience. (He specifically referenced Michigan taking their team to France- FRANCE! )

These are the little things that he clearly thinks will make the difference in winning at the next level- it is just a question if we, as a university and fanbase are willing to do it.

I hope that we are.

This is bad news -- we can't pick up the tab for a WWE event? And we're cutting his budget 10%.

I understand the sentiment, but isn’t it true that we’ve more often fired coaches who have won us 9-10 games than been left by them?

Correct. We have fired every coach who has won more than 8 games at Minnesota. Henry Williams in 1921, Mason in 2006, and Claeys in 2016

Including bank vaults.

Pretty much all of our defensive production is leaving(if Winfield goes) and our star RB and 1 of our NFL caliber WR. Will his guys be able to reproduce the production of the previous staffs guys? Very possible, but maybe not. This might be the ideal time time to leave. I hope not, but there are multiple NFL level guys headed out after the season and a tougher schedule on the way and PJ knows it too.

I hope that we are.

Maybe should be another thread.
The athletes get a full ride scholarship, a top flight facility to train and also have meals, a monthly stipend and now we need to add in all these experiences for them along with paying them more? I'm not talking just about the U, but all of college athletics.

As best I can count, in the Power 5 conferences, there are a total of 5 coaches who have been plucked directly from another Power 5 job, all in the SEC or B1G: James Franklin (Vandy to PSU), Paul Chryst (Pitt to Wisconsin), Jimbo Fisher (FSU to A&M), Willie Taggart (Oregon to FSU) and Dan Mullen (Miss. State to UF).

Of those, I'd say at least three had extenuating circumstances (Chryst, Mullen and Taggert). It can certainly happen, but in reality it rarely does and I think the assumption around here that it WILL and it's just a question of when it over-blown. The U will have to step up, but I think they will.

I hope that we are.

Yikes. Leave it to our regents.

I don't think he wants or needs to leave. He's got a good power five job at a school with good facilities and is likely to have a pay bump coming his way. The University has allowed him to tack 'Row The Boat' EVERYWHERE.....even put an oar (which was hideous) on the helmets in year two. As others have said....he takes a job at a helmet school....'Row The Boat' is going to take a backseat. USC is unlikely to uproot tradition due to recent success.

Fleck and Heather have built a connection with the Masonic Children's Hospital. Not only that, but they've sold the team on the importance of giving back. I think this is truly important to them....and it directly connects with PJ's 'Row The Boat' mantra.....which some people think is manufactured and tacky.....but many of us know has a personal connection to some of the hardships that PJ has gone through. He's a midwest guy too. I believe that he's comfortable in this part of the country. If his critics in Minnesota, due to his enthusiasm and his methodology, were too harsh, I would think that USC would be the last place that he'd want to go.

Finally....he's already doing a great job here (minus the clock management follies) and has earned himself a long leash. He's not even 40 years old. I don't want to compare him to Lane Kiffen....because I think he's proven to be a much better coach (and not a complete dink)....but would it really be in his best interests to cut ties and bolt for "greener" pastures this quickly? Just a few mediocre to good seasons at USC could have Fleck back at an FAU type school. They expect immediate results. Like Fleck said....Minnesota is a sleeping giant. Being in the Big Ten....there is no reason to think that the Gophers cannot compete for the West and the conference every year if Fleck stays and the administration throws their support behind the program....which I believe they would if we become a yearly contender.

You have to go back and read the reasons Western Michigan fans gave for why he wouldn't leave: you've listed a bunch of them.

The unique things about the Twin Cities and the U that might appeal to Fleck are not charity related or personal brand or money. It's the chance to OWN the program (a la Alvarez). To make your personal stamp. Perhaps the uniqueness of a major city and a college campus (given his cosmopolitan personality), and yes, progressive culture.

We do have a lot going for us for someone like PJ, which is why it was on his list in the first place. If he was afraid of an unbelievable challenge (he isn't) he would have waited another year for a different job. This is a WAY harder task to revive MN than a helmet school. Just look at all the crap he's had to overcome from the local media.

You have to go back and read the reasons Western Michigan fans gave for why he wouldn't leave: you've listed a bunch of them.

The unique things about the Twin Cities and the U that might appeal to Fleck are not charity related or personal brand or money. It's the chance to OWN the program (a la Alvarez). To make your personal stamp. Perhaps the uniqueness of a major city and a college campus (given his cosmopolitan personality), and yes, progressive culture.

We do have a lot going for us for someone like PJ, which is why it was on his list in the first place. If he was afraid of an unbelievable challenge (he isn't) he would have waited another year for a different job. This is a WAY harder task to revive MN than a helmet school. Just look at all the crap he's had to overcome from the local media.

I am interested in the local media comment. Please elaborate.

The local media has mocked him and the program since he got here. Fat Pat called him Turkey of the Year. He was called Brewster 2.0. A slick salesman with weird lingo and no substance. The media is starting to change their tune now, but this was a reality for the first two years.

The local media has mocked him and the program since he got here. Fat Pat called him Turkey of the Year. He was called Brewster 2.0. A slick salesman with weird lingo and no substance. The media is starting to change their tune now, but this was a reality for the first two years.

I wonder what the media was like at WMU

Sid Hartman is always giving him crap.
Why can't we have rah rah media guys, like Nebraska! [emoji1787]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sid Hartman is always giving him crap.
Why can't we have rah rah media guys, like Nebraska! [emoji1787]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Totally missing the point. The media can’t even be bothered to at least have their negative takes be educated. They would rather take lazy pot shots than actually do journalism and know what they are talking about. I wouldn’t call them talking heads so much as regurgitating heads.

We had fans on this board last year that mocked him and wanted him fired ! And it was more than a handful.

Right. He has been consistent about that. He even said he went public about his pay cut here because he wanted his kids to know that money isn’t the most important thing.

I will try to follow P.J.'s advice and enjoy the journey. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Why worry about it? Enjoy the success the Gophers are having. They may lose the next 4 games. They may win the next 4 games. Why worry about it? Just looking forward to the 1 game Penn State Championship. Go Gophers!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Regarding the media. I don't mind negative articles, but if your biggest complaint is that PJ says a team is young when they are young and you don't have a QB and you "only" win 5 games, maybe look at the roster first and get educated on what the options were / are.

Regarding PJ.

He's talked about the importance of a culture of sustainability.
His culture isn't sustainable without him even though the team is player lead.

But if he feels he's climbed this mountain, and his age I don't think he can say "No" to another challenge. It would be a mature position for him at this point to find a place where he's satisfied.

If we pay him, he can always go somewhere else and make a couple extra million, but the question then is whether it's going to give him the control, the culture he needs to do his thing, and find another spot where the patience will be there. He could go to a peak job, be there for 3 years of success and by year 5-6 be done.
If he signs here, he can have success, roll bad to mediocre and still be okay as long as we're ramping up again for another peak. (Iowa method).

I call B.S on the bolded.

Nah - if someone posts that PJ’s hair is too long a few posters will think you want him fired, someone else will accuse them of trolling, and highwayman will question if they are a true fan.

I think we’ll get 10 wins at worst this year. My nagging concern: Do we win 6 games next year without Smith, Brooks and the Empire class? Lots of leadership is departing.

Hopefully, we’ll keep rolling.

I hope that we are.

The school should not be funding WWE tickets for the football team. That’s absurd. He clearly meant the boosters should pick up the tab...hint hint. A Wolverine booster funded the trip to France and another to South Africa and maybe a tour of Mesopotamia next year.

The budget thing is certainly head scratching as the football team pays the bills around there...that’s perplexing. Somebody near to the program want to explain that?

Top Bottom