PJ Fleck addressed his future at Minnesota on Sunday: “I absolutley love it here.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

One of the things that I heard on the post game shows is that PJ brings a level of discipline to Minnesota that is rare. The analyst said that "Minnesota does not get a lot of penalties and Minnesota rarely misses their gaps. They are a very well coached team and that is what PJ does." or something to that effect.

He is doing that with lower tier recruits now. Imagine what could happen when Minnesota is able to compete for higher caliber recruits!

Minnesota should give him a raise and lock him in for the future.

Empire building to match B1G East chutzpah?

I'll take it.

Correct. Let the season play out. Then come to the table and bang out a raise/extension.

Yep, seems like there is little to no doubt a nice raise/extension is coming but just how big that raise and extension might be will depend a lot on how things go over the remainder of the season.

Fleck and Coyle seem to have a great relationship so I would tend to believe they are on the same page as far as Fleck's contract is concerned. The whole AD/Head Coach dynamic is still so strange when you have an AD making a fraction of what the head coach makes yet having direct control over that coaches contract.

"I hate it here" would have been a more interesting quote.

I was impressed by this quote until I googled Fleck and "absolutely love." He uses those exact words to describe hamburgers, team picnics, and magicians. I need something more substantial.

Fleck does seem to be a great coach -- Western Michigan 12-0, are you kidding me? And now the Gophers turn-around. But who turns down millions out of sentimental loyalty? Billionaires might because a million is pocket change to them. But not other mortals. So Fleck left W. Michigan and I vouchsafe he'll leave Minnesota if the price is right.

We like the local media in this one, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is an extension happens sometime between now and the next game. It's time, just go ahead and throw your chips in. Then he would be high paid, high respected and loved, in one of the best conferences around and under not as much pressure as at a more "football" school. I'd say if they bring his pay up, he's got it about as good as he can get it here at Minnesota.

if I'm Fleck, I go 13-0, go on the announcement show and say "The CFP didn't want the Big Ten champions in prior years and they aren't getting one this year. The RTB Culture is about connecting the past with the present, and we are heading to Pasadena baby!"

The time to give raises to the entire staff is after the BIG championship game and the CFP first round game. Just get it done before bowl season.

if I'm Fleck, I go 13-0, go on the announcement show and say "The CFP didn't want the Big Ten champions in prior years and they aren't getting one this year. The RTB Culture is about connecting the past with the present, and we are heading to Pasadena baby!"

I feel faint just thinking about it.

tenor.gif

Correct. Let the season play out. Then come to the table and bang out a raise/extension.

Coaching changes often take place before the end of the season. It’s needs to happen in the next couple weeks. Fleck’s agent is probably already getting calls about him.

It's my personal belief PJ will be here until her retires. Given that he's pretty young that would probably mean he'd be here about 30 years depending on when he decided to retire. That has me excited.

Coaching changes often take place before the end of the season. It’s needs to happen in the next couple weeks. Fleck’s agent is probably already getting calls about him.

They take place during the season if it's to fire someone.

Link to where P5 programs publicly announced raise/extension during the middle of the season. Why would you want that to be a distraction for the team??

Fleck does seem to be a great coach -- Western Michigan 12-0, are you kidding me? And now the Gophers turn-around. But who turns down millions out of sentimental loyalty? Billionaires might because a million is pocket change to them. But not other mortals. So Fleck left W. Michigan and I vouchsafe he'll leave Minnesota if the price is right.

Location, location, location. Smart coaches know that if you build it they will come. They don’t let themselves get into no win situations.

PJ knew what he was talking about when he took the job at the U. It is his sleeping giant. He wants to build a legacy and not just occupy a blue blood job for a couple of years.

Any reason why the U wouldn’t pay to keep him? Historically they don’t have a great track record but now? When you’re talking potential of him moving the needle, resurrecting Gopher football and the risk of completely alienating the true fans if he leaves now that we have a taste, seems the answer is obvious.

Fleck would be very smart to pressure a big deal now or else leave if he's offered something better. After this year we start getting Michigan, Ohio St, Michigan St, and Penn St more on our schedule along with a non conference opponent tougher than Fresno St. I'm not saying we can't beat them, but I'd expect the record to dip more than raise in the coming years.

Us MN fans apparently demand perfection or a new coach and I could see a situation where his seat gets warm before they build a statue of him.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy just pointing out something I'm sure his people have thought of.

I think there's a chance he sticks around for a long time. He will not get the freedom with RTB and everything else at a helmet school. He'll have to scale it back and I don't think he'll want to do that.

I also think he there's a chance he really wants to show everyone that his culture can work anywhere. Winning at MN is much tougher than at Michigan or USC.

We'll see, I could be completely wrong and he'll leave the second he gets a big offer. I hope I'm right though.

I think there's a chance he sticks around for a long time. He will not get the freedom with RTB and everything else at a helmet school. He'll have to scale it back and I don't think he'll want to do that.

I also think he there's a chance he really wants to show everyone that his culture can work anywhere. Winning at MN is much tougher than at Michigan or USC.

We'll see, I could be completely wrong and he'll leave the second he gets a big offer. I hope I'm right though.

Eventually, he'll want to join the ranks of the Meyers and the Sabans, and he'll want to hold the natty trophy in his hands, based on doing things the way he runs the program.

Is that impossible to accomplish at Minnesota? I would say, not impossible, but far less likely than a helmet school. I can easily see Fleck getting us to a Wisconsin-level of sustained success, 9/10 wins a year. But even Wisconsin has not been able to take that final step, going all the way back to Alvarez.

They won't let him "RTB" all over the place, but I think he could accept having it on banners at the stadium, small stickers on backs of helmets, or small font on the shirt collar, maybe on the background tarp for the pressers, etc.

Any reason why the U wouldn’t pay to keep him? Historically they don’t have a great track record but now? When you’re talking potential of him moving the needle, resurrecting Gopher football and the risk of completely alienating the true fans if he leaves now that we have a taste, seems the answer is obvious.

Historically they haven't needed to increase HC salary. Kill and company got more than one pay bump, I think MN will pay to Keep PJ and staff

Fleck would be very smart to pressure a big deal now or else leave if he's offered something better. After this year we start getting Michigan, Ohio St, Michigan St, and Penn St more on our schedule along with a non conference opponent tougher than Fresno St. I'm not saying we can't beat them, but I'd expect the record to dip more than raise in the coming years.

Us MN fans apparently demand perfection or a new coach and I could see a situation where his seat gets warm before they build a statue of him.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy just pointing out something I'm sure his people have thought of.

I hope most MN fans realize there will be some ebb and flow with Seasons. The key is to pounce when opportunity presents itself.

Top Bottom