Penn State Game Time Announced

Yeah, but do they flip on the coyles as well?

Those were removed with the Vikings turf. So dumb. I’ll never understand why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shade, sun, makes no difference to the outcome but changing you routine is a factor. This is a stupid idea to change sides and have the team thinking about it. It is a distraction for us and a haha moment for them.

Well, that is one way to really overthink things. Are you worried Morgan is going to run to the wrong sideline talking about what the Pokémon picture means?

Those were removed with the Vikings turf. So dumb. I’ll never understand why.

Source?

Pretty sure we still have those.

Edit: Looking back on previous threads, we definitely still have them. According to Iceland12:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?85107-Do-the-heating-coils-still-work/page3

Yes they were. From SON's summary:

Mona: heating coils? O-Line playing to whistle and beyond

PJ: field crew did a great job. the surface doesn't freeze. it can melt snow on the surface, but as the snow accumulates, it freezes pretty quickly. it's a nice benefit to have to our field.

And this 2016 thread 60's Guy wrote the following

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?71729-Gophers-using-heating-coils-for-games

Okay, I made some phone calls....A lottt of money to put the coils in and it would be a lottt of money to take them out. They are in the subgrade. Remove everything, start over, regrade, recompact etc. Quote I got was, "They will never take those out" All plastic tubing, including no metal connectors. So there is nothing for the water to eat or corrode. "No maintenance to very very minor maintenance." "Very Infrequently turn the pumps on to circulate the water just to turnover the fluid and prevent any stagnation buildup." "Only maintenance would be the pumps and thats unlikely." "Built to be maintenance free"

Because they are in the subgrade, you are not going to see them at any time...including new turf installation.

So, if the University doesn't use the system in light of all the injury, safety precautions with knees and concussions on a frozen field, that would be pretty short sighted.

Last edited:

Source?

Edit: Looking back on previous threads, we definitely still have them. According to Iceland12:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?85107-Do-the-heating-coils-still-work/page3

PJ: field crew did a great job. the surface doesn't freeze. it can melt snow on the surface, but as the snow accumulates, it freezes pretty quickly. it's a nice benefit to have to our field.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?71729-Gophers-using-heating-coils-for-games

Okay, I made some phone calls....A lottt of money to put the coils in and it would be a lottt of money to take them out. They are in the subgrade. Remove everything, start over, regrade, recompact etc. Quote I got was, "They will never take those out" All plastic tubing, including no metal connectors. So there is nothing for the water to eat or corrode. "No maintenance to very very minor maintenance." "Very Infrequently turn the pumps on to circulate the water just to turnover the fluid and prevent any stagnation buildup." "Only maintenance would be the pumps and thats unlikely." "Built to be maintenance free"

Because they are in the subgrade, you are not going to see them at any time...including new turf installation.

So, if the University doesn't use the system in light of all the injury, safety precautions with knees and concussions on a frozen field, that would be pretty short sighted.

But if Coyle’s buried under the field, who’s doing the job of AD?

Source?

I find this hard to believe.

Are you sure?

Normally I despise 11 AM kickoffs, but don't mind it for this one. It'll be nice to have that national spotlight, and I can deal with one early start per season.

My assumption is a Saturday night game would get more viewers (and thus exposure) vs the 11 am game? Is this correct? Maybe more folks are out on the town on a Saturday night versus the afternoon. More importantly, maybe more high school recruits are more likely to see the game mid day versus hanging with friends on a Saturday night.

Last edited:

Top Bottom