10 years later, TCF Bank Stadium is aging well

'I agree with you on the flag poles.

Would like to see them add 3 more and go back to each flag being a conference member with Minnesota being at the top.

I think the tickets are overpriced in general, but heavily discounting now or in the near future won't build a long term fan base. The fan that takes advantage of some offer through Cub or dives in because the U of M slashes prices to fill the house isn't going to go all in, certainly not in great enough amounts. To them a Gopher football game is just another fun day out that could be a bike ride or a museum trip or a an apple orchard journey. What builds a large and long term fan base is success.

This is partly true, but it isn't the whole story. What the U and some Gopherholers fail to recognize is that there are plenty of potential fans out there who are frozen out by inflated pricing. I'm talking about middle class sports fans, outstate sports fans, fans with three or four kids...they'd love to spend an afternoon at TCF, but they can't afford $500 every time they bring their family to a game. So they stay home.

I know you make money quicker by fleecing the rich than by catering to the middle class, but at some point you can't sell enough $100-500 tickets to a dwindling fan base, and then you've got a problem. I really think the U of M is on the cusp of having that problem.

I love the Bank and probably wouldn't have season tickets now if the Vikings and Gophers were still sharing an indoor stadium. It's a great place to be in the fall.

I do wish the crowd would get a little feistier during the game. I think last year and this year some more folks have been making noise on third down, but even with the crazy good start to the Maryland game, it seemed like a lot of fans were not that excited. Not sure how to turn that around.

Regarding the Maryland game, a blowout can lead to a quieter crowd, especially if it's against a team we have no rivalry or meaningful history with. The non conference games against some random team from Conference USA or the MAC with the Gophers winning by a few TDs tend to be pretty placid. The loudest games are the close ones in which there is some tension.

At what point do they just completely eliminate the farce of the metal detector process?

At what point do they just completely eliminate the farce of the metal detector process?

Great question. Sadly I’m guessing the answer to it will be “never”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is partly true, but it isn't the whole story. What the U and some Gopherholers fail to recognize is that there are plenty of potential fans out there who are frozen out by inflated pricing. I'm talking about middle class sports fans, outstate sports fans, fans with three or four kids...they'd love to spend an afternoon at TCF, but they can't afford $500 every time they bring their family to a game. So they stay home.

I know you make money quicker by fleecing the rich than by catering to the middle class, but at some point you can't sell enough $100-500 tickets to a dwindling fan base, and then you've got a problem. I really think the U of M is on the cusp of having that problem.

I absolutely see your point and even agree to some extent. However, the Gophers have had attendance problems since the early 1970s barring a few short lived periods like the early to mid 1980s when the Dome was new and then Lou Holtz dropped in as well as when TCF Bank Stadium was new. The ticket prices have been all over the place during the last 50 years from reasonable to far from it. Attendance has never spiked to any great degree other than those exceptional periods. I don't think heavily discounting tickets on a grand scale is the right move and while the loyal, long term fans absolutely deserve a break on prices beyond what is currently the case, the hardcores are going to stay in the boat for the most part.

One thought that comes to mind is doing what the Twins did back in the mid to late 1990s when their attendance and fan interest were in the dumps. It's a way of doing a controlled gimmick price package without looking desperate or undercutting regular fans. Pick out a bleacher section or two in the upper deck and price tickets there lower as part of a family pack of four seats with coupons for hotdogs, regular sized pops (with lids!), a Dilly Bar, and perhaps a Goldy's Locker Room 10% off coupon or something as a way to do a season long ticket pricing gimmick with supplies in limited quantities. See how sales go for a season, and if it works, then see about expanding the program or translating some savings to apply across the board on tickets.

That thing that blows my mind is badger Joel and company only left room for 1 more big 10 championship spot on the panel celebrating them. Unbelievable

I absolutely see your point and even agree to some extent. However, the Gophers have had attendance problems since the early 1970s barring a few short lived periods like the early to mid 1980s when the Dome was new and then Lou Holtz dropped in as well as when TCF Bank Stadium was new. The ticket prices have been all over the place during the last 50 years from reasonable to far from it. Attendance has never spiked to any great degree other than those exceptional periods. I don't think heavily discounting tickets on a grand scale is the right move and while the loyal, long term fans absolutely deserve a break on prices beyond what is currently the case, the hardcores are going to stay in the boat for the most part.

One thought that comes to mind is doing what the Twins did back in the mid to late 1990s when their attendance and fan interest were in the dumps. It's a way of doing a controlled gimmick price package without looking desperate or undercutting regular fans. Pick out a bleacher section or two in the upper deck and price tickets there lower as part of a family pack of four seats with coupons for hotdogs, regular sized pops (with lids!), a Dilly Bar, and perhaps a Goldy's Locker Room 10% off coupon or something as a way to do a season long ticket pricing gimmick with supplies in limited quantities. See how sales go for a season, and if it works, then see about expanding the program or translating some savings to apply across the board on tickets.

I'm not sure, in your first paragraph, that we're talking about the same thing. I'm not suggesting like some do that reducing ticket prices will result in greater popularity. I'm saying that high ticket prices are squeezing out would-be fans who can't justify blowing their savings on a Gophers game.

It's been my longtime dream to have season tickets, ever since I was a kid. In 1993 with some friends I sat in the 15th row of section 207, looking down from the upper deck at the goal line. I saw Omar Douglas (Demetrius's dad) catch five TD passes from Scott Eckers against Mike Alstott of the Boilermakers' 5 rushing TDs, and the Gophers won 59-56 in regulation. That ticket cost me $17.

In 2006 I sat in the 17th row of section 207 - almost the same spot - too see a Glen Mason-coached Gophers team beat NDSU 10-9. That game was too gruesomely ugly to recap, but i brought my wife and my two oldest sons and had a great time. That ticket cost me $10.

A similar ticket in section 206 of TCF Bank Stadium for the PSU game in two weeks would cost me $110.

Bottom line: at today's prices, young single ekmn couldn't have gone to the Purdue game in 1993 and young married ekmn couldn't have afforded to take his young family to the NDSU game in 2006.

There's a valid reason why young people aren't going to Gopher games like they used to.

The student "section" issue will only become worse when they add the second deck on the North and East sides

The problem I have with the metal detectors is it hasn't been consistent. The airport style detectors at my gate result in huge backups and delays getting in. They aren't always used. They have only appeared a couple times, ever, at the gate I go into. So, as a regular season ticket holding fan that always heads to the stadium at the exact same time from my tailgate: I get into these situations where on these occasions I literally unexpectedly miss getting to my seat on time because of an unpredictable delay at my gate.

AMEN

It's such a backup.

Like if someone wants to do a bad thing, they can do it to the log jam that is the line... we're not helping anyone.

get a cannon from the Minnesota First, Minnesota has a great tradition of being the first to sign up for Abe Lincoln's call to arnms and suffered an incredible proportional loss of life at some significant bloody battles...and then get some SEC teams up here to play...and play the Battle Hymn of the Republic early and often...

another great Minnesota song and Swinging Gate formation that is cool and unique that the casual fan who shows up at kickoff or later and leaves early and walks around at half knows nothing about...get that done during one of the long tV breaks if possible

I think traditions shouldn't die out just because the person who did it died. Pass it on. I'd like to see a Civil War canon being fired. If the loudness is an issue, couldn't they just adjust the powder to be a little less loud? Maximize the smoke.

I think it would be cool if the Battle Hymn was played a couple times during the game. I don't know if there would be time during a long TV break to get the band into position on the field and play the Battle Hymn.

I always wondered why they didnt get gold anodized aluminum for the bench seats. Hit that much of an expensive upgrade and it would have looked fantastic compared to that dull silver they are now....

That's the only change I am wishing for.

It would be cool if they had sections in alternating colors, with one section having gold benches and the next having maroon benches.

It would be nice if they put some love into the Veteran memorial in the plaza. They have that rickety fence there for some reason. If they don't want people sitting on it then please install a permanent barrier.

Minnesota-Veterans-inside-wall_739x494.jpg

These might not all be real problems, but they're pet peeves of mine.

-I wish the student section was better executed. Put them all in the lower deck by expanding the existing section laterally, or even better: move them to the upper deck 50 yard line on the visiting side. Those are better seats, and the students ought to be guests of honor, not an accessory.
-Increase tailgating space around the stadium. This would come with a significant cost that the University probably won't want to bear, but it's a 100-year investment in our gameday experience and tradition.
-Goldy's is too small, with too few registers. That place is a stinkin zoo on gameday.
-The best stadium food I've ever had was the swedish meatballs from Jax Cafe. Mind blowing, and perfect for a cold day. I'm still mad that they discontinued them.
-Gild the county names carved in the exterior ring. That would make them pop beautifully, and emphasize one of the cool features of the stadium. It doesn't have to cost a mint; it can be done with paint - you just have to maintain it year to year.

But overall I love the stadium. Other fanbases mock it as a "stadiette," but I prefer to think of it as a football theater. It's gorgeous and comfortable.

In my opinion the students have the best seats in the house right now. Nothing better than watching a game from behind the endzone.... maybe that is the former offensive lineman in me speaking, but you can see the game so much better.

That thing that blows my mind is badger Joel and company only left room for 1 more big 10 championship spot on the panel celebrating them. Unbelievable

They did, huh?

profan9-20170831223109.jpg

It's not like they couldn't do a myriad of different things, like space the numbers closer together, make the font size smaller, move the national championships section over to add more room for the conference championships signs, etc., etc., etc. Nope, none of those things would be possible.

Also, I didn't realize that Joel Maturi designed TCF Bank Stadium. Thanks for setting me straight.

It's been my longtime dream to have season tickets, ever since I was a kid. In 1993 with some friends I sat in the 15th row of section 207, looking down from the upper deck at the goal line. I saw Omar Douglas (Demetrius's dad) catch five TD passes from Scott Eckers against Mike Alstott of the Boilermakers' 5 rushing TDs, and the Gophers won 59-56 in regulation. That ticket cost me $17.

In 2006 I sat in the 17th row of section 207 - almost the same spot - too see a Glen Mason-coached Gophers team beat NDSU 10-9. That game was too gruesomely ugly to recap, but i brought my wife and my two oldest sons and had a great time. That ticket cost me $10.

A similar ticket in section 206 of TCF Bank Stadium for the PSU game in two weeks would cost me $110.

Bottom line: at today's prices, young single ekmn couldn't have gone to the Purdue game in 1993 and young married ekmn couldn't have afforded to take his young family to the NDSU game in 2006.

There's a valid reason why young people aren't going to Gopher games like they used to.

You are bringing up games that are in no way comparable to the upcoming game. That Purdue team was good, but not #5 in the country good. There was a sale at the state fair for about $10/ticket for the South Dakota State game this year which compares to your NDSU game.

In my opinion the students have the best seats in the house right now. Nothing better than watching a game from behind the endzone.... maybe that is the former offensive lineman in me speaking, but you can see the game so much better.

completely agree, the endzone view is the best

It's a really nice college stadium.

It's got character and is a great place to watch football.

The only change I'd make are superficial. Like better food services as damn it they're so slow, and often out of stuff.

Probably the hardest thing to nail down, given the limited use of the stadium. If I'm getting something to eat, I just time it mid quarter and that helps. I also get the basics when it comes to food. For those and beer, I go up top.

These might not all be real problems, but they're pet peeves of mine.

-I wish the student section was better executed. Put them all in the lower deck by expanding the existing section laterally, or even better: move them to the upper deck 50 yard line on the visiting side. Those are better seats, and the students ought to be guests of honor, not an accessory.
-Increase tailgating space around the stadium. This would come with a significant cost that the University probably won't want to bear, but it's a 100-year investment in our gameday experience and tradition.
-Goldy's is too small, with too few registers. That place is a stinkin zoo on gameday.
-The best stadium food I've ever had was the swedish meatballs from Jax Cafe. Mind blowing, and perfect for a cold day. I'm still mad that they discontinued them.
-Gild the county names carved in the exterior ring. That would make them pop beautifully, and emphasize one of the cool features of the stadium. It doesn't have to cost a mint; it can be done with paint - you just have to maintain it year to year.

But overall I love the stadium. Other fanbases mock it as a "stadiette," but I prefer to think of it as a football theater. It's gorgeous and comfortable.

I keep seeing the tailgating comment...there is plenty of unused tailgate spots in the already designated lots. The lot I was in Saturday was not even half used. What I usually take this to mean is free or minimal cost tailgating.

The Band Pit is an epic fail in stadium design.

I've actually thought the band has sounded much better on TV this season than in the past. In stadium is still an issue, I was in the upper deck of the student section last game and you wouldn't even know they were playing aside from the bass drums. As far as mic-ing the band in the stadium, I think it's against conference rules to amplify the band, at least it used to be. I think even moving the band into a corner of the closed end so they aren't just blowing sound out the open end would help to retain some of the sound, the pit was one of the few design fails of the stadium.

Even if you pout sound panels it would be bad because the pit faces the open end of the stadium. There is no reason a 320 piece band's sound should be swallowed up by that stupid pit. Have them play from a corner of the stadium like section 114 0r 113 and you would notice an immediate difference in the sound and feel of TCF stadium. They need to move the band out of that pit and let the General students use it. It is practical for getting them on to the field, I am sure the band doesn't notice it but you can be one section over from them and you cannot tell they are playing any music because the sound is gone once they go down in to that sunken pit.

I was suggesting that we put speakers near the band, not mic the band and run it thru the stadium sound system.

I think that might be what he means...there's actually a slight delay and with the band being loud to begin with, it becomes noticeable.

Nailed it.

This pit sucks and it sucks up the sound for the majority of the stadium. The band sounds awesome outside of the stadium and there is a reason for that. That sunken pit is a terrible design and audible flaw on how the sound goes through the stadium. When they are on the field playing pregame you can hear them great and when they are playing. Once they are in that pit you can barely hear them unless you are on the open end of the stadium or in the upper home side second deck.

Put the band in the empty second deck. Who says they have to prance around while blowing their horns:confused:

I think that might be what he means...there's actually a slight delay and with the band being loud to begin with, it becomes noticeable.

Nah I misunderstood

Where?

The U already has plans to develop almost all the current surface tailgating lots into academic/research buildings at some point (long term, think decades not years). An urban university with constraints on land can't devote that land to a handful of events per year. The U instead should develop a robust "block party" atmosphere pre-game, not tailgating.

Those lots around the Stadium are used throughout the week for commuting students, therefore at the minimum being an urban campus means we will always have some surface lots.

I like the idea of moving the student section to one level. Maybe add another section on each side and then free up the entire deck. It makes the student section a little smaller too.

We chatted with a Maryland fan, he really liked TCF. He also went to the Vikings/Skins game, was blown away by USBank. He said we really got that one right and was easily the best football stadium he's ever been in.

I like the idea of moving the student section to one level. Maybe add another section on each side and then free up the entire deck. It makes the student section a little smaller too.

My suggestion was to wrap that end zone with the student section. 114 through 137, or 115 through 135.

They did, huh?

profan9-20170831223109.jpg

It's not like they couldn't do a myriad of different things, like space the numbers closer together, make the font size smaller, move the national championships section over to add more room for the conference championships signs, etc., etc., etc. Nope, none of those things would be possible.

Also, I didn't realize that Joel Maturi designed TCF Bank Stadium. Thanks for setting me straight.

Well they can’t do it easily and seem less like other big 10 venues do

Top Bottom