Ticket sales (football) per year

2018 11,098,000 ( 7 home games )
2017 9,989,000 (5)
2016 12,474,000 (7)
2015 10,512,137 (6)
2014 14,024,000 (6)
2013 11,474,840 (7)
2012 11,238,000 (7)

I’m not seeing all the extra revenue the price hikes brought in and in fact it looks like the opposite occurred. Sure, that trend will likely reverse in 2019 with the record. I thought it was common knowledge it’s more expensive to gain a new customer than keep an existing one. Predicting revenue on record setting seasons is a gamble...and the empty stadium look saps energy, saps enthusiasm, doesn’t look good to recruits and that’s X fewer number of future fans. Furthermore when all (or a significant chunk of ) the talk after a huge win and upcoming game is about the empty stands and fan turnout it’s not a good look and doesn’t generate enthusiasm as the place to be. A crowd attracts a crowd. Butts in the seats.

Does the donation money show up as ticket sales revenue? Or scholarship donation?

I think the U has done a pretty good job with the mobile ticket pass (I forget the official name) and various other options to try to get people in the door. Let's face it, for conference opponents, if you're getting tickets for under $20, the team is probably playing like hot garbage.

Case in point I just bought 4 tickets for Gopher/Northwestern, Row 17, sec 133 (Next to visitor section so close to gopher fans), $12 ea. including fees.

Does the donation money show up as ticket sales revenue? Or scholarship donation?

I don’t think so, particularly restricted to football only which is why I asked DPO if he had access to that. We can only go off the publicly available numbers. If he has them then let’s see them.

Do we have attendance numbers year by year?

Case in point I just bought 4 tickets for Gopher/Northwestern, Row 17, sec 133 (Next to visitor section so close to gopher fans), $12 ea. including fees.

LOL. Northwestern is more of the exception than the rule most of the time. I've been to Ryan Field also for a Gophers game and tickets have always been dirt cheap there.

Per a Fox Sports article at the time of the price change re: scholarship seating expansion:

The university estimates that an additional $1 million will be raised in 2015, $1.5 million in 2016, and $2.2 million in 2017.

Given that the third hike never happened and sales are probably a bit less than projected those numbers are probably on the high side of what actually occurred but certainly fair to wonder if they tip the scales. Even so the other factors remain.

Top Bottom