POLL - What would you pay PJ Poll?

What would you pay PJ Poll?

• Total voters

Extend him at whatever it costs. THIS is our chance to have what we have wanted. An Iowa/Wisconsin like long string of success. Multiple Rose Bowls/Big Ten Championship games. You need consistency/longevity at the top. Hayden Fry/Kirk Ferentz at Iowa and Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin. This is our chance. Fleck has so far delivered everything he promised.

Too big of a distraction to do it during the season. It will come, after the season is over. Patience
Actually if they agree to an extension now, that completely eliminates further distraction for the rest of the season.... Not doing it now would result in this same distracting discussion for the rest of the season....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Actually if they agree to an extension now, that completely eliminates further distraction for the rest of the season.... Not doing it now would result in this same distracting discussion for the rest of the season....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't care if fans are distracted by it. Fans don't matter, in that regard. It won't be a distraction for the staff or players.

There is no such thing as "Ok coach, here's the deal, look it over quick, and then sign it in 2 minutes, then go back to work". That's not how those things work. It's a drawn out negotiation, which is handled by Fleck and his agent. Back and forth. Would absolutely be a distraction.

We need him 100% focused on recruiting and Penn State, right now. Not on the size of his bonus if he wins the Big Ten.

If coach Fleck is extended before the PSU game, according to my Big winning percentage theory, he has earned a $5.5 million yearly extension rate. His BT winning percentage at the beginning of this season was .278 based on his 5 win, 13 loss BT record. Following the win over Maryland, his BT winning percentage based on his current BT record of 10 wins and 13 losses puts him at a.435 winning percentage. This is a remarkable situation! It would be wise to make an extension offer now. Compared to his initial offer three seasons ago, he now has a track record as a Big Ten Football Coach with some success.

A win over PSU in two weeks could make him a 6 million dollar man. A loss could drop him back into the 5 million dollar per year range...until the next game. With 4 BT games remaining will Coyle make a mistake by waiting and taking his chances at seasons end?

If PJ and the Gopher Team continue their hot hand and PJ’s BT overall winning percentage rises to .500 or above... Coyle and the U may be on the hook for a $6.5 million dollar per year deal to hang on to P J Fleck.

Or, if it goes the other way, maybe $4.5 million might do. This is a very important 4 BT game stretch for the coach and the AD.

Beat the stinking BT teams, GOPHER!

Last edited:

If coach Fleck is extended before the PSU game, according to my Big winning percentage theory, he has earned a $5.5 million yearly extension rate. His BT winning percentage at the beginning of this season was .278 based on his 5 win, 13 loss BT record. Following the win over Maryland, his BT winning percentage based on his current BT record of 10 wins and 13 losses puts him at a.435 winning percentage. This is a remarkable situation! It would be wise to make an extension offer now. Compared to his initial offer three seasons ago, he now has a track record as a Big Ten Football Coach with some success.

A win over PSU in two weeks could make him a 6 million dollar man. A loss could drop him back into the 5 million dollar per year range...until the next game. With 4 BT games remaining will Coyle make a mistake by waiting and taking his chances at seasons end?

If PJ and the Gopher Team continue their hot hand and PJ’s BT overall winning percentage rises to .500 or above... Coyle and the U may be on the hook for a $6.5 million dollar per year deal to hang on to P J Fleck.

Or, if it goes the other way, maybe $4.5 million might do. This is a very important 4 BT game stretch for the coach and the AD.

Beat the stinking BT teams, GOPHER!

In 2019, the Gophers are 5-0 in the B1G. They have outscored their conference opponents 206-72, to date. Average score in conference play: roughly 41-14, Gophers.

Whatever % increase is given to PJ, give some of the assistant coaches the same % and the key assistants more. We do not want critical assistant turnover from a unit that seems to be really clicking with the team. Give PJ the tools to keep the AC's he wants.

This issue is not just about Coyle and Fleck. How fast was the Athletes Village paid off ? Do the regents and President get a vote ? Coyle also knows Michigan would hire outside the conference and would look at Les Miles. USC is angling for Urban, he lives in LA now and they can spill the 9 million. If Fleck, who i liked from day one wants to be here he will be thrilled at a 3 year extension at 4 per. On top of that he will want one million a year increase for the staff. That is a ton to pay for 10-13, how many wins over ranked teams ? How many sell outs ? Win something that really matters. Win the West.

I’ll take PJF at his word - he is a man of commitment and he won’t abandon his recruits, his players, his fans, his coaches. That said, he is a prideful man so a compensation package that isn’t embarrassing or insulting should be in order. What that number is I’m not sure, but for the love of God throw in enough for a couple team trips out on the town. If he delivers a 10+ win regular season that implies a win over a pretty good team and Northwestern. Somewhere in that 4-5 million range. If he delivers a clean sweep he’ll be the talk of the country and it’s going to be a larger number but it won’t matter because gate revenue and other merchandising revenue should ramp up.

I've never been involved, in any way, in salary negotiations for highly-compensated personnel.

I don't pretend to know what the market is for P.J. Fleck's services; I have no idea.

I do know that this is the most fun I've had as a Gopher football fan in a long time. And the objective facts — most consecutive wins since WW II, great academics, no scandals — are pretty impressive, to me at least.

It’s not our money. Give him whatever he wants.

Just hand him a blank check. Let him fill it out

Classic performance (and Sting in his Kama Sutra phase)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JcqhvPNiJzo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I suspect this is Minnesota's chance for an Alvarez or Ferentz type. I think he's a program builder, even if the bottom falls out this year. You pay him what you have to, let him set up roots, let him put his name on the program, and hope you can keep him for 20 years. He's young, he wins, his corny stuff is sort of endearing. This is what a mid tier program is looking for to become something better, even if you wind up 9-4 or something. Break the bank. If he goes somewhere else, you'll regret it.

I don't care if fans are distracted by it. Fans don't matter, in that regard. It won't be a distraction for the staff or players.

There is no such thing as "Ok coach, here's the deal, look it over quick, and then sign it in 2 minutes, then go back to work". That's not how those things work. It's a drawn out negotiation, which is handled by Fleck and his agent. Back and forth. Would absolutely be a distraction.

We need him 100% focused on recruiting and Penn State, right now. Not on the size of his bonus if he wins the Big Ten.

Fleck will hardly be involved in the process. I've negotiated many contracts like this in the business world. The main person is not going to be sitting at the table cutting deals, that'd lead to hard feelings after the contract is agreed upon. It's totally handled by his reps as that isolates him from the negotiation process. Once his reps get the best deal they think they can get, they'll present it to Fleck who then basically says yes or no. There's very little negotiation that happens once the offer is laid out. If Fleck says no, he leaves. If he says yes, then he blames any tough things said during the negotiation process on his reps, and he keeps a good relationship with the AD. It's how it's done, and it by far saves both parties from having to deal with the aftermath of a difficult negotiation.

8 years 43 million with a 7 million dollar buyout.
Gopher badger man, this sounds about right. It puts him in the top half of the conference, with a stiff buyout. I would add compensation for AC’s and recruiting.
Wisconsin did this decades ago with Alvarez and look where it got them. I’ve been following the Gophers since Cal Stol. I’m tired of the promises and rebuilds. We could make a long run with this very good coach.

Fleck will hardly be involved in the process. I've negotiated many contracts like this in the business world. The main person is not going to be sitting at the table cutting deals, that'd lead to hard feelings after the contract is agreed upon. It's totally handled by his reps as that isolates him from the negotiation process. Once his reps get the best deal they think they can get, they'll present it to Fleck who then basically says yes or no. There's very little negotiation that happens once the offer is laid out. If Fleck says no, he leaves. If he says yes, then he blames any tough things said during the negotiation process on his reps, and he keeps a good relationship with the AD. It's how it's done, and it by far saves both parties from having to deal with the aftermath of a difficult negotiation.

Appreciate the perspective. Your experience in the business world may not apply exactly in the big money sports coaching world. I’m certain Fleck would have input/approval over each aspect.

And by waiting until the end of the season, that gives him the most opportunity to acquire an offer from another school and then use that as leverage. Not planning to leave, but it’s just part of negotiations.

Brohm did exactly that with Louisville.

8 years 43 million with a 7 million dollar buyout.
Gopher badger man, this sounds about right. It puts him in the top half of the conference, with a stiff buyout. I would add compensation for AC’s and recruiting.
Wisconsin did this decades ago with Alvarez and look where it got them. I’ve been following the Gophers since Cal Stol. I’m tired of the promises and rebuilds. We could make a long run with this very good coach.

Agree 1000% I would add that a one year extension would automatically be added after every year unless either the U or the coach were to opt out and the 7 Mil buyout would be per year left on the contract... (that would be 7 years for those math challenged)

Top Bottom