POLL - What would you pay PJ Poll?

What would you pay PJ Poll?

• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
What would you pay PJ Poll?

If you re-up PJ, what should the per year salary be for PJ on his new contract?

Assume the extension would be for about 5 additional years. (7-8 years from now)
Also assume you need to have it signed before PSU. So you have to base it on current results. No waiting until end of the year.

Last edited:

I'd go to the 5-6 million range with substantial increases to the assistant coaches salary pool. Want to make it less likely they get poached by a G5 school.

I'd go to the 5-6 million range with substantial increases to the assistant coaches salary pool. Want to make it less likely they get poached by a G5 school.
Yep...and lock him up for 10

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’m not sure how tongue in cheek (if at all) Barreiro was on Friday but he predicted an extension and raise for PJ to happen this week.

I’m not sure how tongue in cheek (if at all) Barreiro was on Friday but he predicted an extension and raise for PJ to happen this week.

I heard him chatting about it. He made it sound like everyone already knew about it. Not a secret.
Lou or Mase must have told him.

But with Dan it's so hard to tell as he's moving the goalposts constantly and what he has thrown out as exaggerations, PJ has now met.

$5-$6 million base with incentives that scale up to $6.5 for a 1st place Big 10 West. $7.5 for a Big 10 Championship.

Pay him! We lose him and we go through 20+ years of ineptitude and the investment in Gopher athletics is for nothing.

Last edited:

In all seriousness if PJ is up for it (and that's really all there is to it):

Kirk Ferentz type long term contract.

But really when, and everything else is up to PJ.

How much does the soon-to-be Coach of the Year usually make?

How much do you pay a coach for winning at a level that's historic at your school?

If your coach works tirelessly to promote your school, what sort of value do you place on that?

If your student-athletes are setting record-high academic standards, avoid major scandals, and are very involved in positive community work — how much is all that worth to the university?

Is the coach who delivered all of this likely to be a candidate for the same job at other schools? If yes, what is it worth to the U to keep him here?

How much does the soon-to-be Coach of the Year usually make?

How much do you pay a coach for winning at a level that's historic at your school?

If your coach works tirelessly to promote your school, what sort of value do you place on that?

If your student-athlete are setting record-high academic standards, avoid major scandals, and are very involved in positive community work — how much is all that worth to the university?

Is the coach who delivered all of this likely to be a candidate for the same job at other schools? If yes, what is it worth to the U to keep him here?

How much is your next coaching hire going to cost if he leaves?
$3.5 - $4 million

Will the new person win more?
Will they market better?
Will they have the developing off the field better?
Will they bring in better OC and DC?

Thank goodness this decision doesn't actually have to happen before the three biggest tests of the year...

Thank goodness this decision doesn't actually have to happen before the three biggest tests of the year...

"Thank goodness"?

Whats the matter, Buddy; are you wringing your hands, worrying that the U might overpay?

If the Gophers win 2 of the last 4, get him in that $5 million range. That's top 5 or so in the conference and a substantial raise.

"Thank goodness"?

Whats the matter, Buddy; are you wringing your hands, worrying that the U might overpay?

It would be prudent to wait and see how the team performs against quality competition, nothing wrong with that.

It would be prudent to wait and see how the team performs against quality competition, nothing wrong with that.

Why would it be "prudent"? If he leaves, you'll have to find another coach, yes? I think we've seen enough to know that person will have a pretty tough act to follow.

What are you expecting to see in the next 4 weeks that would change your current opinion on Fleck?

What are you thinking you might be able to save, dollars-wise?

10 years at $50M. No escape clauses and two kickers/bonuses.

1. Win Big 10 and get $1M raise per year for every year left on deal
2. Win national title, must be highest paid coach per annum in Big 10 for every year still left on deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked 6-7 million but admit Im uninformed. What will take to keep him? That's a hell of a lot of money but it pales compared to the hundreds of millions that went into the new facilities and stadium. So don't be penny wise and pound foolish, to quote some long dead guy, maybe Benjamin Franklin.

The question strikes to the heart of a long-standing issue: The U has not wanted to overemphasize football and basketball to the detriment of women's volleyball, swimming, lacrosse, nascent cricket teams, etc. Its time for that to end, as they've sunk hundreds of millions into improved football facilities. Don't throw it away via parsimoniousness in coach's pay.

Last edited:

tenor.gif

How about $10 million, but he has to give back $500K for every time out called in the 1st or 3rd quarter of a game?

Why would it be "prudent"? If he leaves, you'll have to find another coach, yes? I think we've seen enough to know that person will have a pretty tough act to follow.

What are you expecting to see in the next 4 weeks that would change your current opinion on Fleck?

What are you thinking you might be able to save, dollars-wise?
If we lose out, I don't think Fleck will be a hot commodity for other teams so the pressure to bump his pay to retain wouldn't be as great. I think it would be reasonable to see how the team performs against the best first, it's been a great season and I'm ecstatic about the progress the team has made, but the schedule has been soft. Beat PSU and prove we are truly elite and give him the brinks truck.

If we lose out, I don't think Fleck will be a hot commodity for other teams so the pressure to bump his pay to retain wouldn't be as great. I think it would be reasonable to see how the team performs against the best first, it's been a great season and I'm ecstatic about the progress the team has made, but the schedule has been soft. Beat PSU and prove we are truly elite and give him the brinks truck.

So you're for waiting to see, based on the outcome of the next game?

May I assume you'd offer Fleck a raise after the Penn State game, win or lose?

If so, how much would the offers differ, based on beating Penn State vs. losing to them?

Lots of things - for one, we could lose by 28+ to each of our last 4 opponents, giving a lot of credibility to those who say Minnesota is only 8-0 because of a very soft schedule.

I don't foresee that happening, but you asked the question.

Lots of things - for one, we could lose by 28+ to each of our last 4 opponents, giving a lot of credibility to those who say Minnesota is only 8-0 because of a very soft schedule.

I don't foresee that happening, but you asked the question.

Yes, I asked the question. And now, I have an answer.

If the Gophers lose the next four games by big scores, we don't have to give Fleck a big raise.

Got it! Why didn't I think of that? Seems so obvious now.

So you're for waiting to see, based on the outcome of the next game?

May I assume you'd offer Fleck a raise after the Penn State game, win or lose?

If so, how much would the offers differ, based on beating Penn State vs. losing to them?
Let's be clear, I'm not doing anything. I said earlier in the thread the Gophers should put him in the $5 million plus range, I think they should keep him. That being said, I'm not going to fault the AD if he waits to see how the rest of the season unfolds before making a decision.

Let's be clear, I'm not doing anything. I said earlier in the thread the Gophers should put him in the $5 million plus range, I think they should keep him. That being said, I'm not going to fault the AD if he waits to see how the rest of the season unfolds before making a decision.

Okay. A reasonable way to see it, I guess.

And maybe potential suitors (USC?) will take a wait-and-see attitude as well. Heck, maybe there aren't any potential suitors! I have no way of knowing, one way or the other.

10 years at $50M. No escape clauses and two kickers/bonuses.

1. Win Big 10 and get $1M raise per year for every year left on deal
2. Win national title, must be highest paid coach per annum in Big 10 for every year still left on deal.

Kickers... good one ;-)

Okay. A reasonable way to see it, I guess.

And maybe potential suitors (USC?) will take a wait-and-see attitude as well. Heck, maybe there aren't any potential suitors! I have no way of knowing, one way or the other.

I'm afaid this may be too conservative of an approach. Potential suitors (USC/FSU/???) may take a wait-and-see but many of those athletic departments (and their boosters) have more money available and a track record of spending it. I don't think the U has as deep of pockets or potential donor $$ as at least these 2 other schools. PJ, his staff and this team have generated more interest in U of MN FB than anyone/anything else has in many, many years.

I take a chance now. 10 years at $60M (if it takes that much) and otherwise the same terms as U2Gopher proposed. Lock him up before the Penn State game. This will also let all the recruits know that Coach Fleck will be here through their 4-5 years. And the fans don't have to go through another 60 years of mediocracy at best.

Top Bottom