If the Gophers want to sell out against PSU...

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Maybe waive their stupid fees? Spending $115 per ticket and they slap $20 in fees on. Really? Can’t let that go? God forbid you don’t suck every last dollar out of the fan base.

It isn’t the money. Its $20. Not stopping me. But its silly.

Maybe waive their stupid fees? Spending $115 per ticket and they slap $20 in fees on. Really? Can’t let that go? God forbid you don’t suck every last dollar out of the fan base.

I paid $10 per ticket earlier today and for Nebraska.

You mean $10 per ticket right? You bought 2 tickets so it was $20? I bought 3 and was charged $30!

If the ticket was priced at $135 and had $0 fees, would it make any difference?

If the ticket was priced at $135 and had $0 fees, would it make any difference?

Yes. Because they know the all-in cost of a ticket. So advertise that price. Don’t add fees at checkout. Bad optics.

You mean $10 per ticket right? You bought 2 tickets so it was $20? I bought 3 and was charged $30!

Looks like you’re correct. Not $20 per transaction. $10 per ticket.

I guess I've just come to expect ticketing fees on everything these days. Its annoying but everyone knows they can do it. Thanks Ticketmaster!

Yes. Because they know the all-in cost of a ticket. So advertise that price. Don’t add fees at checkout. Bad optics.

The cost of the ticket is $115. It only becomes $125 when you purchase it online. Go to the box office if you are that upset about a few extra dollars that are associated any online ticket purchase for any event; movies, concerts, sports, etc.

Also they aren't adding it at checkout. When you hover over a seciton on the seating chart, it tells you what the service fee is. Unless you are blind or can't do simple addition, figuring out the end cost of your ticket isn't difficult.

I can't belive the U doesn't hire all these gopherhole users to give all their money away...

When the Twins were finishing up the regular season, they ran deals to secure playoff tickets with a deposit toward a season ticket package for next year. In reality, it would be very reasonable for the U to do something to build next year's season ticket base like, for example, a discounted price for remaining home games with a $200 or $250 (non-refundable) deposit on season tickets next year. I wouldn't even care if it was a pretty deep discount ($40 tickets or something like that). This way you're dealing with two things simultaneously, you're helping fill the stadium for Penn State and Wisconsin and you're securing commitments for new season ticket holders.

I understand why Tickeaster and StubHub charge fees - they are brokers. But why sports teams (not just the gophers) need to charge additional fees is ridiculous and just a way to trick customers. Just state the price of the ticket!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

People are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars and fistfuls of fees to see musician after musician lip-sync their “hits”. Yet tack on these fees to a real live football game, and there’s outrage...

People are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars and fistfuls of fees to see musician after musician lip-sync their “hits”. Yet tack on these fees to a real live football game, and there’s outrage...

Concerts are a one night or two night purchase and generally in a smaller atmosphere.
Football seasons have more dates and a bigger arena.
Also, football is probably more of a family / group event than a couple event, so you need to multiply by 3x or 4x instead of 2x usually.

People are mad at me and I bought tickets to a game I likely can’t attend. Meaning I’ll either give them away or sell them at a loss.

Sorry that I think waiving fees (and advertising that you did) May increase traffic to the site and sell tickets.

People are mad at me and I bought tickets to a game I likely can’t attend. Meaning I’ll either give them away or sell them at a loss.

Sorry that I think waiving fees (and advertising that you did) May increase traffic to the site and sell tickets.

You are right. It's a $$ issue.
There are plenty of casual people who will take in a game.
They are not going to pay current prices to sit in the upper deck.

Just as an aside. I know it was really crappy weather and MSU is down this year, but there was no one at the MSU Penn State game and those that were left at halftime.

The increase in the price of a ticket when the market for tickets was not that high has fostered a conditioned reflex in fans. Anything that has the appearance of being unfair is met with an exaggerated response.
The truth of the matter is the AD is in a tight spot. Fans want a coaching staff that helps the team compete and a recruiting budget that allows the coaches to cast a wide net. Both are expensive.
FB revenue has been marginally profitable for years and FB revenue is needed to support non revenue sport that are popular with fans and the students.
Until more people are willing to but tickets particularly season tickets the price asked will not go down. That fosters some resentment when the person next to you bought a ticket in the secondary market or on the street for a fraction of what you a loyal fan paid.
Case in point, last Saturday was a picture perfect Fall day and the team was undefeated but could not sell out a small-by BIG standards- stadium.

Concerts are a one night or two night purchase and generally in a smaller atmosphere.
Football seasons have more dates and a bigger arena.
Also, football is probably more of a family / group event than a couple event, so you need to multiply by 3x or 4x instead of 2x usually.

Gophers vs. Penn State on 11/9 is a one-time event.

It’s interesting that this board has threads about giving PJ a raise along with threads about tickets that are too expensive. We need to print our own money!

It’s interesting that this board has threads about giving PJ a raise along with threads about tickets that are too expensive. We need to print our own money!

TV makes way more money for the program than ticket sales do.

Does anyone know if the Gopher ticket office is open during the week? If so that would be an easy solution to avoid the ticket fees. I know I scooped up tickets for Twins games this summer by buying directly at the ticket office over the lunch hour.

TV makes way more money for the program than ticket sales do.

TV makes more money but it is shared.

Each team keeps their direct revenue in the B1G, they don't have to share that.

If you want to "move up" and make money other B1G teams aren't making, at home is the place to do it.

Last edited:

Either way, there are a lot of empty seats. They used to fill more frequently for a team that wasn't as good as the one that plays in there now. So what has changed? Scholarship seating price increases. If we are okay with those prices and feel they are appropriate the next point to be made is the stadium was overbuilt when it comes to seating capacity.

Was more trying to say that even if the tickets don't all sell, they certainly have enough revenue from other sources to make it happen.

If you want to "move up" and make money other B1G teams aren't making, at home is the place to do it.

Exactly. It’s the incremental increase from ticket sales that give many schools a spending advantage over us. People have to decide how to spend their finite amount of money, but so does Coyle. If another school with better fan support (and therefore more money) outbids us for PJ, I hope people don’t blame Coyle for not spending money he doesn’t have.

Football season ticket prices will be adjusted after the season (like they were for basketball and hockey). One of the main reasons for this is so the ticket office can have more single-game price options.

Exactly. It’s the incremental increase from ticket sales that give many schools a spending advantage over us. People have to decide how to spend their finite amount of money, but so does Coyle. If another school with better fan support (and therefore more money) outbids us for PJ, I hope people don’t blame Coyle for not spending money he doesn’t have.

Classifying the problem as "fan support" ignores the effect that marketing and gameday atmosphere have on ticket sales, and both of those are in the control of the athletic department.

If I had to ballpark it, and don't tell my wife, I'd say we spend $3000-3500/yr on just Gopher tickets, from the school directly. Doesn't count other donations to specific campaigns, random spending, gear (usually bought at Goldy's or bookstore, not sure how this helps but it might), parking, concessions etc.

Really think its OK to be annoyed by fees and not be held responsible if PJ leaves for money. If the fees go directly to PJ, let me know. I'll write a check for that fund today.

Agreed. I spend about the same and will continue but I fully agree with the many posters who are annoyed and will not spend this amount of money. Let me know if you find the PJF fund .

Top Bottom