If the Gophers want to sell out against PSU...

I bought 5 tickets on Saturday for $67.50 each. I was charged some sort of Order Fee for $10. Feel like I got off lucky.

People are mad at me and I bought tickets to a game I likely can’t attend. Meaning I’ll either give them away or sell them at a loss.

Sorry that I think waiving fees (and advertising that you did) May increase traffic to the site and sell tickets.

I'll take the tickets you are giving away :)

Football season ticket prices will be adjusted after the season (like they were for basketball and hockey). One of the main reasons for this is so the ticket office can have more single-game price options.

How did basketball and hockey change their season tickets? I've only heard about the scholarship seating debacle. I hope we can come up with something favorable.

FWIW I bought MNUFC season tickets today. Two seats, $10 in “fees” total. That is for 36 tickets. Still annoyed but less than $10 per ticket. And MNUFC generally sells out.

How did basketball and hockey change their season tickets? I've only heard about the scholarship seating debacle. I hope we can come up with something favorable.
I think hockey did make a few of the tickets actually cheaper but they also kept net ticket price on most the same (raised donation but lowered base price).

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

There are nearly two weeks to go and I do hope I am wrong but it is looking to me like the game of the century will be another non-sellout. This further proves the point that over the years the overused saying "just win and attendance will take care of itself" was false. There is much more to this than simply winning. The place filled for games like Syracuse and even a Thursday night work night game against TCU but not this season.

An overview of the ticket map on Gopher Sports reveals the following observations:

-roughly 90 sections in the stadium (some of the premium sections on the south side are outliers)
-Of the 90 sections about 15 are student sections and were about half full for Maryland with $7 tickets. Will this improve for an 11:00 AM game?
- 9 are mostly full and these are almost all the little sections in the west end zone
- about 40 have plenty of seats available
- about 20 have large swaths of availability, multiple full rows open, etc.
- 2 have most seats in the section available

That is a LOT of open seats and I would assume there was a bump in ticket sales immediately following the win over Maryland. But here we are on the following Tuesday and there are open seats all over the place. Anyone want to stick with the "just win and it will solve the attendance problems" viewpoint? Nosebleed seats on the side, very top row are $120. So that is $480 for a family of four to take in the game even before parking, concessions, etc. There is your problem. I still can't figure out the students. If they can't do better than half full with $7 tickets for this team on a beautiful full sun day, I am not sure what is up with that.

There are nearly two weeks to go and I do hope I am wrong but it is looking to me like the game of the century will be another non-sellout. This further proves the point that over the years the overused saying "just win and attendance will take care of itself" was false. There is much more to this than simply winning. The place filled for games like Syracuse and even a Thursday night work night game against TCU but not this season.

An overview of the ticket map on Gopher Sports reveals the following observations:

-roughly 90 sections in the stadium (some of the premium sections on the south side are outliers)
-Of the 90 sections about 15 are student sections and were about half full for Maryland with $7 tickets. Will this improve for an 11:00 AM game?
- 9 are mostly full and these are almost all the little sections in the west end zone
- about 40 have plenty of seats available
- about 20 have large swaths of availability, multiple full rows open, etc.
- 2 have most seats in the section available

That is a LOT of open seats and I would assume there was a bump in ticket sales immediately following the win over Maryland. But here we are on the following Tuesday and there are open seats all over the place. Anyone want to stick with the "just win and it will solve the attendance problems" viewpoint? Nosebleed seats on the side, very top row are $120. So that is $480 for a family of four to take in the game even before parking, concessions, etc. There is your problem. I still can't figure out the students. If they can't do better than half full with $7 tickets for this team on a beautiful full sun day, I am not sure what is up with that.

I think part of the deal is this city just isn't a strong Gopher football town.
It won't be until you cultivate it from the ground up.

Young families aren't going to start a tradition of tailgating and bringing Aidan and Emily to the game for $120 a ticket and do that 8 times a year.

I think it's a question for the U is at what point do you get new season ticket holders?
Do you get it from U of M kids graduating and buying season tickets at age 22-25?
Or are you hoping to get young families with two kids when the parents are early 30's?
Or are you expecting to grab a couple as their kids get to late teens when there might be a little more discretionary income at age 40-50?
Whatever it is, you need to make a plan to fit those people.

Also, things are different now. The whole family doesn't sit around the TV set to watch what dad wants to watch on the weekends. Instead everyone scatters to watch their own thing.
Years ago, dad might decide that the family outing for the week was a football game and wives would agree. I think more households these days are independent where the mom is deciding more of the family outings and less of a focus is on sporting events.

It's amazing to see what type of events a mother in law can suggest is a good, fun, activity in the cities these day to spend a Saturday on.

There's a big counter-culture thing going on with millennial where football is a very difficult sport for females to want to attend. Women have more of a say in the buying power of the family household income and football isn't a high priority, nor is having their kids play football.

Football attendance is not just a Minnesota problem, but wives here in Minneapolis from what I have seen are more empowered than the wives in Wisconsin who are more of a traditional "pleaser" role, happy to drink lite beer on weekends and drive their husbands home.

Didn’t they just announce the time? How many people have their entire Saturday open? Not many. See how it looks in 10 days.

I think part of the deal is this city just isn't a strong Gopher football town.
It won't be until you cultivate it from the ground up.

Young families aren't going to start a tradition of tailgating and bringing Aidan and Emily to the game for $120 a ticket and do that 8 times a year.

I think it's a question for the U is at what point do you get new season ticket holders?
Do you get it from U of M kids graduating and buying season tickets at age 22-25?
Or are you hoping to get young families with two kids when the parents are early 30's?
Or are you expecting to grab a couple as their kids get to late teens when there might be a little more discretionary income at age 40-50?
Whatever it is, you need to make a plan to fit those people.

Also, things are different now. The whole family doesn't sit around the TV set to watch what dad wants to watch on the weekends. Instead everyone scatters to watch their own thing.
Years ago, dad might decide that the family outing for the week was a football game and wives would agree. I think more households these days are independent where the mom is deciding more of the family outings and less of a focus is on sporting events.

It's amazing to see what type of events a mother in law can suggest is a good, fun, activity in the cities these day to spend a Saturday on.

There's a big counter-culture thing going on with millennial where football is a very difficult sport for females to want to attend. Women have more of a say in the buying power of the family household income and football isn't a high priority, nor is having their kids play football.

Football attendance is not just a Minnesota problem, but wives here in Minneapolis from what I have seen are more empowered than the wives in Wisconsin who are more of a traditional "pleaser" role, happy to drink lite beer on weekends and drive their husbands home.

I totally agree with your theories. I was raised in a conservative household, where Dad chose the family events more often than Mom. He raised us to love a Gopher football. I’ve gone to every home game, except 3 or 4, since I was 6. My Dad went from having 2 season tickets in the Dome days, to 3 when TCF Bank Stadium opened, to 4 in the 2nd year of Jerry Kill.

When my Dad passed away two years ago, my Mom didn’t want to keep all 4 tickets. Just way too expensive for a recently widowed woman to afford. So I told her there’s no way we’re giving up those seats. I said how about I take over for 2 of them, and then you keep 2 of them. So she transferred 2 into my name, so my wife and I own them. My wife is a huge Gopher football fan with me, couldn’t have married her if she wasn’t. I’m 27, she’s 25. My two sisters are die hard fans too, 24 and 20 years old. One currently goes to the U of M, and one graduated from it. My grandma and grandpa own 2 season tickets as well, my grandpa has been going with me, my dad, and my uncle since the Dome days. My uncle canceled his season tickets after Claeys was fired, but that wasn’t his main reason for canceling. He bought a cabin, and couldn’t afford to do both. Plus I think it became difficult to go to the games without my Dad being there with him.

As diehard of fans as we all are in my family, I feel my family is in a minority of how families operate in the twin city area today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure hope we don’t get Game Day. Big embarrassment with the stadium not being full.

Later than normal harvest due to late planting, wet and cold Sept and Oct hasn't helped with ticket sales for Maryland and PSU...a lot of my friends and family are having to grab every nice day to get caught up on harvest and fall field work. If we get a good dry stretch here, it should help some, but still a lot of corn in the field and a lot of tillage to get done.

There are nearly two weeks to go and I do hope I am wrong but it is looking to me like the game of the century will be another non-sellout. This further proves the point that over the years the overused saying "just win and attendance will take care of itself" was false. There is much more to this than simply winning.

Does it have to be a sellout for this game to be successful for the ticket office? I read somewhere on here that about 45k tickets were sold for the Maryland game. I feel confident more will be sold for Penn State. 48k-50k tickets sold will bring in a lot of money for the athletic budget.

I am in the just win group, but for me that means win consistently. Follow up this year with another 8+ win season and maybe another and then we'll see where we are at. I am very surprised with the attitude on this board about this Penn State game being a way for a family to try things out. In my opinion, that what the non conference schedule and flash sales at the state fair is for. This is a huge game. Leave the kids with a sitter.

Just to refute the cherry picked "empty student section" picture from a different thread:

Deer hunting, late harvest, temps in the 20’s.....

Like the tree falling in the forest, if Game Day is here and no one shows up, do they make a sound?

Top Bottom