Bonagura: Auburn vs. Michigan
Schlabach: Minnesota vs. Texas A&M

ESPN (Bonagura)
Capital One Orange Bowl (Yeah, baby!)
Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida
Dec. 30, 8 p.m., ESPN
Bonagura: Wake Forest vs. Minnesota
Schlabach: Wake Forest vs. Georgia

Lots of these to come in the next day or two: 247, CFN, SI, Sporting News, etc.

ESPN (Schlabach)

Outback Bowl
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida
Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ESPN
Bonagura: Auburn vs. Michigan
Schlabach: Minnesota vs. Texas A&M

ESPN (Bonagura)
Capital One Orange Bowl (Yeah, baby!)
Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida
Dec. 30, 8 p.m., ESPN
Bonagura: Wake Forest vs. Minnesota
Schlabach: Wake Forest vs. Georgia

Lots of these to come in the next day or two: 247, CFN, SI, Sporting News, etc.

I like that Orange Bowl one!!! That would be the classic matchup of two teams with very good records who get little respect, but, both teams will have to have very good records to get there.

Saturday Tradition
https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/b1g-bowl-projections-week-9-cfp-cfp-cfp/

Holiday Bowl (huh?)
Dec. 27
Washington vs Minnesota

I put this in another post, but the Holiday Bowl has an agreement to take 5 different teams in its 6 year run. The Gophers were selected (then tried to boycott it!) They certainly COULD go there but the Outback is likely if we don't win out. Then - who knows. It's fun to talk about but it should be somewhere nice!

I booked a hotel for the Outback Bowl (can easily cancel)! Lets go!

Every year for the past 15 years, I book hotels for the Rose Bowl (get them in Glendale, 5-10 minute drive to all the activity) & usually cancel them by the 1st week of October.

The longest I have ever had to hold on to the reservation....

Dont really care about what bowl we play in at this point but it sure would be swell if we got to play an SEC team and dismantle them. Anything we can do to chip away at that echo chamber would be fantastic.

I don't care what Bowl, I just want to play an SEC team.

If we play an ACC other than Clemson, it will be like playing Illinois or Maryland again.

Every year for the past 15 years, I book hotels for the Rose Bowl (get them in Glendale, 5-10 minute drive to all the activity) & usually cancel them by the 1st week of October.

Good for you ! I will attend whatever bowl game the Gophers play in this year but it's feels good to be hoping for an upper tier bowl.

247 has Gophs vs Auburn in Citrus:

Citrus Bowl
Where: Orlando, Fla.

Projected matchup: Minnesota vs. Auburn

Quick bite: Minnesota played in this game a few years ago against Missouri, but that team wasn't unbeaten through nine weeks with visions of a bigger bowl, either. At this point, the Gophers heading to Orlando is near worst-case scenario for a team that has made tremendous strides under P.J. Fleck. Auburn fans travel well and the Tigers haven't played in this game in more than a decade.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...lahoma-Sooners-Playoff-137639989/#137639989_3

The thing I don’t like about bowl projections is that they tend to assume nothing will change. No surprises. I wish someone would go out on a limb with these and make bold calls. Whether Minnesota benefits or not.

All these articles just pair standings to bowl slots and mail it in.

247 has Gophs vs Auburn in Citrus:

Citrus Bowl
Where: Orlando, Fla.

Projected matchup: Minnesota vs. Auburn

Quick bite: Minnesota played in this game a few years ago against Missouri, but that team wasn't unbeaten through nine weeks with visions of a bigger bowl, either. At this point, the Gophers heading to Orlando is near worst-case scenario for a team that has made tremendous strides under P.J. Fleck. Auburn fans travel well and the Tigers haven't played in this game in more than a decade.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...lahoma-Sooners-Playoff-137639989/#137639989_3

Yeah, like the Holiday Bowl prediction, odds are very low I would think.

Sports Illustrated also with Gophers/Wake in Orange Bowl

Penn State to Rose, Ohio State to CFP Fiesta

https://www.si.com/college/2019/10/29/bowl-projections-ncaa-schedule-playoff-oklahoma
The Orange Bowl would be cool I suppose. Unfortunately...unless Clemson drops a game...we'd play Wake Forest? The one positive there is that it would be a very winnable game....since WF just seems to be the second best team in a lousy ACC. Couldn't hurt to have an Orange Bowl victory. But as far as games go....the Outback Bowl would be a much better game....to play against one of the top SEC teams.

But...I wouldn't pass up the Orange Bowl. Would still hope for the Rose Bowl though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The thing I don’t like about bowl projections is that they tend to assume nothing will change. No surprises. I wish someone would go out on a limb with these and make bold calls. Whether Minnesota benefits or not.

All these articles just pair standings to bowl slots and mail it in.

Some of them, yes. But two Orange Bowl predictions is definitely going out on a limb. I'd say it assumes MN wins the West and at the very least beats 2/3 of PSU, Iowa, Wisc -- and then loses to OSU. That's a bold prediction.

Some of them, yes. But two Orange Bowl predictions is definitely going out on a limb. I'd say it assumes MN wins the West and at the very least beats 2/3 of PSU, Iowa, Wisc -- and then loses to OSU. That's a bold prediction.
How so? What's a more bold prediction at this point? Minnesota only wins two of its four remaining games....one of which is the winner of the Badger/Hawkeye game.....or Iowa/Wisconsin wins out and beats the Gophers in the process winning the tiebreaker?

I'd say that the Gophers going 10-2 and losing to OSU in the BTCG should be viewed as the worst case scenario considering how dominant this team has been. At 10-3....yeah....I think an Orange Bowl invite would be in play. We certainly wouldn't drop for losing to OSU. And losing to PSU who'd be playing in the Rose Bowl couldn't be held against the team.

At 10-3....yeah....I think an Orange Bowl invite would be in play. We certainly wouldn't drop for losing to OSU. And losing to PSU who'd be playing in the Rose Bowl couldn't be held against the team.

I don't know. The Orange Bowl is a very prestigious bowl. I don't know if we would get in there with 3 losses. A 2 loss Iowa team went there in 2009, beat GA Tech, and finished 7th ranked in the final poll. I'd gladly take that scenario.

The last team I want to play is someone like Auburn.

Some guy bowl predictions:

Peach Bowl vs Clemson

Love this!

How so? What's a more bold prediction at this point? Minnesota only wins two of its four remaining games....one of which is the winner of the Badger/Hawkeye game.....or Iowa/Wisconsin wins out and beats the Gophers in the process winning the tiebreaker?

I'd say that the Gophers going 10-2 and losing to OSU in the BTCG should be viewed as the worst case scenario considering how dominant this team has been. At 10-3....yeah....I think an Orange Bowl invite would be in play. We certainly wouldn't drop for losing to OSU. And losing to PSU who'd be playing in the Rose Bowl couldn't be held against the team.

I hear you, and I believe that this team will do at least what you outlined above...but MN isn't favored in any of those 3 games right now, so for national media to predict they'll win 2/3 is pretty bold IMO. I haven't gone back and looked at the records of Orange Bowl participants, but I doubt many were in at 10-3 with only 1 win over a ranked team. Most people seem to think the Outback is far more likely with 3 losses, regardless of when they occur.

I hear you, and I believe that this team will do at least what you outlined above...but MN isn't favored in any of those 3 games right now, so for national media to predict they'll win 2/3 is pretty bold IMO. I haven't gone back and looked at the records of Orange Bowl participants, but I doubt many were in at 10-3 with only 1 win over a ranked team. Most people seem to think the Outback is far more likely with 3 losses, regardless of when they occur.
Yeah...I suppose that's true. I guess it would depend on how teams around us in the polls do and how we show in these final games, win or lose. I would be surprised if a loss to a CFP bound OSU team would hurt us much in the rankings.

Top Bottom