CFP or Rose Bowl?

Where would you like to see the 2019 Gophers end up?

• Total voters
I have dreamed about making the trek to Pasadena to watch the Gophers for decades, while I have barely spent two minutes pondering seeing them play in the playoffs. Of course I want them to win every game and I know that, if that happens, they will likely be in the playoffs. I will be thrilled if that happens, but that isn't my dream. My dream is the Rose Bowl.

I have dreamed about making the trek to Pasadena to watch the Gophers for decades, while I have barely spent two minutes pondering seeing them play in the playoffs. Of course I want them to win every game and I know that, if that happens, they will likely be in the playoffs. I will be thrilled if that happens, but that isn't my dream. My dream is the Rose Bowl.

I would love a Rose Bowl trip for the Gophers, but I feel like the Rose Bowl has lost some of its luster now that is isn't necessarily the best team from the Big Ten going.

If I'm choosing I'd definitely prefer the playoff at this point, just due to the massive exposure it would provide to the university. Plus it would mean we won the Big Ten (most likely).

We can always go to the Rose Bowl in a down year. Let’s go for the natty! ;)

Perfectly stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is how you think: let's start the discussion off by assuming that we've beaten Ohio State are are 12-1 or 13-0 (which would be required to make the CFP).

Why not just start the discussion off by assuming we've just beat Alabama for the national championship?? Where is that thread/poll??

You've got a stick jammed so far up your a$$ that it might be poking out of your mouth.

This is all based on a hypothetical situation in which the Gophers continue to win. I don't think anyone realistically expects us to run the table and make the playoffs. But if it were to happen....why WOULDN'T you want the Gophers to play in the CFP? I think that would prove that the Gophers are prepared to play with just about anybody in the country.

As the Joker once famously said....."Why are you being so serious!?" It's a message board. Stop being such a dork.

CHANGE YOUR BEST!

If the Gophers win out, then they will almost certainly end up in the CFP as B1G champs. I don't see any way they get left out. Therefore I voted CFP.

I grant, the Rose Bowl with all the history, etc. in and of itself would be more desirable than the Fiesta Bowl or Peach Bowl (though the Peach has a long history as well). But the implications of making the CFP outweigh that history, in my book.

But if it were to happen....why WOULDN'T you want the Gophers to play in the CFP?

If we win out, we'll be in the CFP. It has nothing to do with what we want .....

In fact, if we win out, we'll be national champions.

Hence all the silly/snarky "why are you saying that you don't want the Gophers to win every game????!!!!11"

Rose by far. We aren't a CFP team. We're not to the level of ND when they got embarrassed in the playoffs. There'd be tons of whining from across the CF landscape that we aren't worthy, and when we got destroyed it would turn into a big negative. For where we are as a program, the Rose would be the best possible outcome. Great vibes, a winnable game, great memories, and all positivity.

Nonsense, the Gophers cannot beat OSU and Alabama would be worse still. Very good team, not competitive with the very best.

Nonsense, the Gophers cannot beat OSU and Alabama would be worse still. Very good team, not competitive with the very best.

I honestly think Ohio State is better than Alabama this year.

If we go 13-0 with a win over Ohio State we absolutely belong in the CFP. Just very unlikely we actually pull that off.

I honestly think Ohio State is better than Alabama this year.

If we go 13-0 with a win over Ohio State we absolutely belong in the CFP. Just very unlikely we actually pull that off.

Yes, to all of this

~ 60/40 split.

OSU is as good as Alabama this year if not better. And how would you know how good they are this year? Got some inside info....jammed stick up butt guy who joined the board this month?

The CFP of course. That would almost certainly mean the Gophers won the Big Ten. The Rose Bowl likely means 2nd place this season.

Arguing that you'd rather not make the CFP is like arguing that you'd rather make the NIT in basketball. I understand the Rose Bowl is a far better consolation prize than the NIT, but still.

Rose Bowl = NIT. Okey Dokey.

Arguing that you'd rather not make the CFP is like arguing that you'd rather make the NIT in basketball. I understand the Rose Bowl is a far better consolation prize than the NIT, but still.

I can understand the lack of connection folks feel with the CFP.

For the vast majority of college football fans the CFP has nothing to do with their team. They've got no history with it and the way things work the vast majority of teams have NO CHANCE ever seeing it, and the bowl games most fans watch their teams play in have nothing to do with the CFP either. So like who cares?

The Rose Bowl has some history and connection to the Gophers and other teams.

Granted IMO the Rose Bowl being an on and off playoff game tarnishes it a bit.

I believe back in the 70’s or something, there were teams that turned down the NCAA Tournament to go to the NIT because it had a level of prestige then that it no longer has. The Rose Bowl used to be the biggest most prestigious game that the best teams played in, but it no longer is. Fans who want to see the team have the best season possible are probably a little puzzled by the idea that others would prefer we drop a game or two and likely fail to win the Big Ten all so that we can participate in the grand tradition of the Rose Bowl instead of competing to be the best team in the country in the CFP.

I understand the appeal of the Rose Bowl and why it’s a big deal to long time fans, but the best possible season the Gophers have means going to the playoff instead of the Rose Bowl. To some of us it’s like asking if you’d rather finish 1st or 6th, and over a third of our fans would prefer to finish 6th.

Last edited:

Ask me when we are 11-0.

Ask me when we are 11-0.

We could win the West at 10-2, with losses to PSU and @Iowa.

At that point, I would make the strong argument that we deserve the Rose Bowl if we lost the conf champ game to Ohio St. Especially if the margin of loss was less than Penn St's loss to Ohio St (assuming that happens).

Caymen nailed it. The Rose Bowl is a relic. It's meaning lives now only in nostalgia. I will be in Pasadena if they make it but the days when the game itself actually meant something are gone.

You would prefer to be humiliated in the CFP, like Michigan State was in 2015-16?

Caymen nailed it. The Rose Bowl is a relic. It's meaning lives now only in nostalgia. I will be in Pasadena if they make it but the days when the game itself actually meant something are gone.

Did it really mean so much in the 90s? Was Wisconsin UCLA really an important game? Northwestern USC? I think it's always been about the nostalgia. Maybe 1-2 times prior to BCS in 30 years it actually mattered to the national title conversation. The rest of the time it was an exhibition game. Even the gopher game in 1960, which we lost, didn't matter. Natty secured.

It means a heck of a lot to me to go. Of course, I would rather win a Natty than anything. But we aren't there yet as a program. Not really close. We could keep a single game close against a Washington type team in the playoffs. We'd get smoked by an SEC champ or Clemson.

No. The Quick Lane Bowl = NIT. But arguing that you'd really rather not win the B1G Championship is the same.

You would prefer to be humiliated in the CFP, like Michigan State was in 2015-16?

If we're good enough run the table through PSU, WI and OSU, I don't think getting "humiliated" in the CFP is a given or even likely.

I am all in if the only teams that can go to the CFP are conference champions. If that means expanding the playoffs than so be it. For this year, this time, the Rose Bowl is the prize for us. We are not ready fro the CFP yet so why not go somewhere that represents tradition and fulfill the dreams of us who lived through the the last 50 years and sat in the dump for all those years hoping.....and donating by the way. It has now turned into a beauty contest with the playoffs and the politics, teams with advantages like cheating without any consequences. If people think getting pounded by Alabama, LSU or Clemson is better, then I will move over and let the next 33 year season ticket holder take my seats. The Rose Bowl may not have the luster anymore but still has the prime spot on TV and the most national coverage. At this point it would be way more advantages for recruiting and solidifying the program than a beat down by the above mentioned teams.

The Rose Bowl has never really been the prize. Winning the Big Ten is. The Rose used to be synonymous with winning the league but now it’s often the runner up prize. The CFP almost certainly means the Gophers would have won the Big Ten with no more than one loss.

I’m pretty sure the team has an ultimate goal to win the Big Ten but seldom talks about the Rose Bowl specifically.

"I’m pretty sure the team has an ultimate goal to win the Big Ten but seldom talks about the Rose Bowl specifically."

Your wrong about that.

Top Bottom