CFP or Rose Bowl?

Where would you like to see the 2019 Gophers end up?

• Total voters

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
Where would you prefer to see the Gophers end up this season? Would you rather that they played in the College Football Playoffs or the Rose Bowl?

I’d rather see them in the playoffs because it means they won the big ten.

But in reality either would be fine. It might be better for the program to go play in the Rose Bowl than to play against Alabama in the 1-4 game

CFP. That’s a silly question. Why would you want to win less games and not play for a national championship?

CFP no question. The Rose Bowl would be a great consolation because we could win it against a PAC 12 team.

CFP no question. The Rose Bowl would be a great consolation because we could win it against a PAC 12 team.

It has occurred to me that a Rose Bowl game against Oregon or Utah might very well be more winnable than an Outback Bowl against Auburn or Georgia.

Rose. Easy, easy decision.

All the tradition and all the waiting to get back, even though it doesn’t quite have the same national implications.

But it would be a good, winnable game, and a fun, memorable trip for fans.

The CFP would be a very difficult game and a less fun trip. Atlanta and Phoenix for semi-finals, meh.

It has occurred to me that a Rose Bowl game against Oregon or Utah might very well be more winnable than an Outback Bowl against Auburn or Georgia.

Yep, that is true

Rose. Easy, easy decision.

All the tradition and all the waiting to get back, even though it doesn’t quite have the same national implications.

But it would be a good, winnable game, and a fun, memorable trip for fans.

The CFP would be a very difficult game and a less fun trip. Atlanta and Phoenix for semi-finals, meh.

So which games will you be cheering for us to lose in November and December?

None, of course.

Being realistic is not being anti-fan.

Sure. Just clarifying. So you would prefer we end up in the CFP but acknowledge that the Rose Bowl would be a more fun game and more realistic right now. That's not what you originally said.

Last edited:

Sure. Just clarifying. So you would prefer we end up in the CFP but acknowledge that the Rose Bowl would be a more fun game and more realistic right now. That's not what you originally said.

More realistic, more fun, more winnable, absolutely.

Would I “prefer” to be in the CFP, only to get matched up in a very difficult game that we’re much less likely to win, in a less fun trip ... just because, that’s “better”? Not sure about that.

It seems the main thing that’s difficult for you to swallow is that not making the CFP means we have to lose some number of these last four games. Yes, that’s true. But again, I’m just being realistic.

This poll is a form of trolling. Just read the replies.

Let’s just win!

CFP

Though if I had a bucket list attending the Rose Bowl would be pretty high on the list for a traditional B1G vs PAC 12 matchup regardless of which teams were playing.

Of course the Gophers in Pasadena would make attending the game an ultimate experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CFP

Though if I had a bucket list attending the Rose Bowl would be pretty on the list for a traditional B1G vs PAC 12 matchup regardless of which teams were playing.

Of course the Gophers in Pasadena would be make attending the game an ultimate experience.

This. You said it better than I could.

The CFP would seem to be the obvious answer, but the Rose Bowl has more nostalgia. Getting to the CFP means we won the B1G and are one of the top 4 teams in the country, so I’ll go with that.

CFP. That said, I hate that we dont have auto bids for the conference champs (which I know would require a bigger playoff). I dont like the thought that my happiness with the outcome of our season could be based on whether a room full of buffoons thinks a hypothetical 1 loss big ten champ gopher team is a better tv draw than an SEC team that failed to win their division.

The CFP would seem to be the obvious answer, but the Rose Bowl has more nostalgia. Getting to the CFP means we won the B1G and are one of the top 4 teams in the country, so I’ll go with that.

Yeah, but that’s what’s kinda silly about this whole discussion.

If you’re gonna just start from that assumption .... why not just assume we win the national championship?? Wouldn’t that be the “best” outcome?? Don’t you want that??

If we make the CFP, it probably means we're 13-0. If we make the Rose Bowl, it means we're not 13-0. I'll choose winning all of our games.

Well, I too would prefer the Rose Bowl over the CFP. I can see from your posts in this thread that you are not willing to accept opinions different than yours so I won’t even try to explain.

This poll is a form of trolling. Just read the replies.

Let’s just win!

Yes, we know - some view any thoughts different than their own as “trolling”.

Well, I too would prefer the Rose Bowl over the CFP. I can see from your posts in this thread that you are not willing to accept opinions different than yours so I won’t even try to explain.

Go Penn State!

The rose bowl is dead let it rest. It’s unreal that people want to win less games to go to a bowl that used to have the prestige that the CFP now has. Makes zero sense to me. You could potentially have 2 B1G teams in the CFP at some point, would people still rather be the third place team and go to the Rose Bowl?

I want us to win all 13 and turn down the invite to the CFP and play in the Rose Bowl...it would be a baller move and is exactly about what the RTB Culture is all about, connecting the past with the present and embracing your joy as you define it.

The rose bowl is dead let it rest. It’s unreal that people want to win less games to go to a bowl that used to have the prestige that the CFP now has. Makes zero sense to me. You could potentially have 2 B1G teams in the CFP at some point, would people still rather be the third place team and go to the Rose Bowl?

If they're good enough to make the CFP this year (massive IF), they'll be good enough to make the Rose Bowl in one of the coming years. We would get there soon enough.

Just win Saturday (any Saturday).

It will take winning the B1G to get to the CFP, something we haven't done since we shared the title in 1967, that is more important to me than going to the Rose Bowl.

Top Bottom