CFP or Rose Bowl?

Where would you like to see the 2019 Gophers end up?

• Total voters
CFP and it's not close, but I will be very happy with the season if either of these is the outcome

The Rose Bowl. I don't fancy seeing the Gophers vs. Alabama. It'd be a "cover your eyes" game. Maybe some day--assuming they can keep Fleck-- but not yet.

College Football Playoff.....no question. If we happen to be good enough to go undefeated and make it to the playoffs....then this isn't a mirage and a Rose Bowl can wait another few years. Being in the top four and at worst being 13-1 going into next season almost assures us a top #10 ranking heading into next season. Yes please.

The Rose Bowl. I don't fancy seeing the Gophers vs. Alabama. It'd be a "cover your eyes" game. Maybe some day--assuming they can keep Fleck-- but not yet.

Nonsense. If the Gophers make the playoffs....that means that they got by Ohio State. Ohio State is as good as Alabama or LSU.

How in the hell have 19 people so far voted for the Rose Bowl over the CFP? Are they crazy? This explains so much about the Minnesota culture and fan base that keeps getting complained about. The traditions of college football have changed, playing in the Rose Bowl is simply an exhibition game. Playing in the CFP is playing for the national championship.....Dont be afraid to become a legend!

Nonsense. If the Gophers make the playoffs....that means that they got by Ohio State. Ohio State is as good as Alabama or LSU.

Correct. Eight points separates the top 3 in this week's AP poll.

How in the hell have 19 people so far voted for the Rose Bowl over the CFP? Are they crazy? This explains so much about the Minnesota culture and fan base that keeps getting complained about. The traditions of college football have changed, playing in the Rose Bowl is simply an exhibition game. Playing in the CFP is playing for the national championship.....Dont be afraid to become a legend!
I would argue that crazy is being unable to comprehend an opinion other than your own.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Again .... how in the world is this not a silly discussion??

Why are we having a discussion right now where the argument only even makes sense if you first assume that we've beaten Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game??

That is not a reasonable assumption, at this point in the season.

Why not just start a thread asking people to vote on if it would be "good" if we start off with the assumption that we've won the national championship game??

Ever since the Playoff, the Rose Bowl is not the "Grand Daddy of Them All", the playoff (and championship) is the ultimate goal now, not the Rose Bowl.

Yep, totally reasonable to start thinking national championships now. We're 8-0 after all.

We get 35-40k butts in seats at our games, and our roster is mainly 3* players .... but nevermind that, we're right up on the same level as Ohio St and Alabama.

Watch, we lose a very competitive, great game against Penn St. GH will be on here that night saying Fire Fleck for ruining the perfect season.

You might need an ACL repair surgery, jerking your knee that hard and quick!

Why are we having a discussion right now where the argument only even makes sense if you first assume that we've beaten Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game??

Why not just start a thread asking people to vote on if it would be "good" if we start off with the assumption that we've won the national championship game??
We are allowed to dream big. Keep your wet blanket to yourself!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

We are allowed to dream big. Keep your wet blanket to yourself!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yes, you are allowed to dream big. Good on ya. Being serious here.

And ... I'm allowed to be a "voice of reason", and try to keep things in perspective!

Some people sure take these polls seriously. I didn’t realize their importance.

In a thread about whether it would be better to go to the CFP or the Rose Bowl? Look....the Rose Bowl is very much in play right now....so is the entire discussion silly? And I was responding to somebody who was suggesting that Alabama would be a "cover your eyes" game so they'd prefer to not go to the CFP. I was simply saying that if we happened to go undefeated and beat OSU, who's every bit as good as Alabama imo, in the Big Ten Championship game....that we'd be able to play with Alabama.

With is with some of you butthurt posters that are terrified of a little bit of "what if" discussion? It's like the dorks who keep whining about "looking ahead"......like us posters on the message board are going to affect the outcome of the game. :rolleyes:

Settle down there, nana.

I would argue that crazy is being unable to comprehend an opinion other than your own.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Please explain your logic?

I would love to go to the Rose Bowl and watch the Gophers play, but not over an opportunity to play in the CFP.

This is so Minnesota, it's like saying.....would you rather win a 3 million dollar lottery or a 10 million dollar lottery and your choosing a 3 million dollar lottery. Again, dare to be a legend!

The posters picking the Rose Bowl over the CFP because who the opponent might be are taking this way too seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a thread about whether it would be better to go to the CFP or the Rose Bowl? Look....the Rose Bowl is very much in play right now....so is the entire discussion silly? And I was responding to somebody who was suggesting that Alabama would be a "cover your eyes" game so they'd prefer to not go to the CFP. I was simply saying that if we happened to go undefeated and beat OSU, who's every bit as good as Alabama imo, in the Big Ten Championship game....that we'd be able to play with Alabama.

With is with some of you butthurt posters that are terrified of a little bit of "what if" discussion? It's like the dorks who keep whining about "looking ahead"......like us posters on the message board are going to affect the outcome of the game. :rolleyes:

Settle down there, nana.

Quite obvious from my post that I was talking about the CFP, not the Rose Bowl.

I have always wanted us to fail.

I have noticed that no one is calling you out for expecting 9 wins this season anymore. You'll have to wish for failing harder.....

The Big Ten championship game is going to consist of undefeated Minnesota and Ohio State teams intentionally fumbling the ball out of their own endzones for 60 minutes so they can avoid playing Alabama and go to the Rose Bowl instead.

I have noticed that no one is calling you out for expecting 9 wins this season anymore. You'll have to wish for failing harder.....

Who did that? Was it the one who got banned a while back? I don’t even remember his name, but I think he’s back posting under a different name.

Last edited:

Quite obvious from my post that I was talking about the CFP, not the Rose Bowl.

Yet you responded to MY post.....so I responded back to you. Like I said....this isn't everyone expecting that the CFP is a super realistic expectation. It's just a hypothetical question. Would you prefer the CFP or the Rose Bowl? I said the CFP. I assume you'd prefer the Pinstripe Bowl because it's more realistic.

Good god we have some posters on this site with sticks up their butts.

The Big Ten championship game is going to consist of undefeated Minnesota and Ohio State teams intentionally fumbling the ball out of their own endzones for 60 minutes so they can avoid playing Alabama and go to the Rose Bowl instead.
That would be extremely entertaining.

Rose. Easy, easy decision.

All the tradition and all the waiting to get back, even though it doesn’t quite have the same national implications.

But it would be a good, winnable game, and a fun, memorable trip for fans.

The CFP would be a very difficult game and a less fun trip. Atlanta and Phoenix for semi-finals, meh.

Spot on. The playoffs mean nothing to me. It is all about the Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl for me has always been the ultimate goal. The history, parade, and how beautiful it looks on tv while I am freezing here in Minnesota make it my first choice.

Rose Bowl. Not that I want the team to lose to get there. I’m a traditionalist. For decades the goal for our beloved Gophers was to make the Rose Bowl.

Other than an additional football game to watch, which is nice because I love college football, I think the playoff is stupid. It does not honor tradition, it decreases the value of other bowl games. I never had a problem with split polls - two national champions - that allows for discussions and arguments forever - long live the spirited debates.

CFP. That’s a silly question. Why would you want to win less games and not play for a national championship?

This is how Minnesota fans think. Let's take the 'easier' game. Which is ridiculous... play to win the nattie!

I have commented recently about his expectations.

This is how Minnesota fans think. Let's take the 'easier' game. Which is ridiculous... play to win the nattie!

This is how you think: let's start the discussion off by assuming that we've beaten Ohio State are are 12-1 or 13-0 (which would be required to make the CFP).

Why not just start the discussion off by assuming we've just beat Alabama for the national championship?? Where is that thread/poll??

Top Bottom