Bowl Game Possibilities

Gold Rush

Reaction score
OK, where does everyone see the Gophers playing?

It would be nice to be playing in the championship series. The Gophers would have to win out, beating Ohio St. in the Big Ten championship.
That just might be too much to hope for but we will just have to take it one game at a time and see how that one plays out.

Rose Bowl - possible - Ohio St would have to win out and go in the Bowl Championship Series. The Gophers would have to win the West and probably have to beat Penn St. to pull it off. If we can get past Penn St the Wisconsin game would probably be for the Rose Bowl on the line.

Citrus Bowl - Agreement is for 5 Big Ten teams in 6 years so if possible no Penn St. Minnesota or Michigan.

Outback Bowl - Agreement is for 5 Big Ten teams in 6 years so if possible no Wisconsin, Michigan or Northwestern if possible.
If the Gophers continue their success -- this would be our most likely destination. We would probably need to be at least 10-2.

Holiday Bowl - Agreement is for 5 Big Ten schools in 6 years so if possible no Michigan St, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, or Northwestern.

Tax Slayer Bowl - No Iowa or Penn St. if possible. This is where we would could end up if we go 1-3 these 4 games and end up 9-3.

Pinstripe Bowl - If the Gophers go 8-4, this might be where we end up.

Remember - we are up against some pretty good teams in the Big Ten. Ohio St will most likely end up in the BCS and that is good because it bumps everyone up one bowl. Penn St, Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa are all in the mix with us and are all viable choices over us if the end of the year has some slip ups. I do not think anyone else would even be in the discussion over us even if disaster struck and we went 0-4.

My guess is the Outback Bowl -- but that Rose Bowl would be sooooooooo nice!!!

Last edited:

My wild dream right now is Rose Bowl. Win out and then lose to OSU. After watching OSU again, it’s hard for me to see them lose at all this year. I think National Championship is in the cards for them.

Winning out the last four would be an even bigger accomplishment than winning the first eight. It can happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More likely: Outback
Less likely, but ideal: Rose

My wild dream right now is Rose Bowl. Win out and then lose to OSU. After watching OSU again, it’s hard for me to see them lose at all this year. I think National Championship is in the cards for them.

Winning out the last four would be an even bigger accomplishment than winning the first eight. It can happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever word of that captures my sentiment. Want Rose Bowl. Winning the last 4 is ten fold as difficult as winning the first 4. Beat Penn State and the attention to the program triples.

Obviously we all want the CFP and the Big Ten title but the most reasonable dream is beating Penn State, going 11-1 or something and finishing 11-2 with a good loss to OSU. Then the Rose takes the Gophers over 10-2 Penn State and they whomp Oregon.

More likely: Outback
Less likely, but ideal: Rose

At this point, most likely is Rose. Win West and it is a certainty. An undefeated B1G Champion goes to playoff. A 1 loss OSU goes to playoff. A 1 loss Minnesota does not. Minnesota’s magic number is three. Any combination of Minnesota wins and Iowa/Wisconsin game winner losses, and Minnesota clinches the Rose Bowl. An undefeated Minnesota team goes to the playoffs.

At this point, most likely is Rose. Win West and it is a certainty. An undefeated B1G Champion goes to playoff. A 1 loss OSU goes to playoff. A 1 loss Minnesota does not. Minnesota’s magic number is three. Any combination of Minnesota wins and Iowa/Wisconsin game winner losses, and Minnesota clinches the Rose Bowl. An undefeated Minnesota team goes to the playoffs.

I think if Minnesota loses to Penn State and Iowa but beats Wisconsin and Northwestern, and Wisconsin beats Iowa, that could lead to a 7-2 Minnesota winning the West outright over 6-3 Iowa and Wisconsin teams. Then, assuming we lose to Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship game, I would think an 11-1 Penn State, whose only loss is to Ohio State, would get the Rose Bowl bid over 10-3 Minnesota.

OSU's one loss could be to the one loss Gophs in the B1G championship. Are you saying neither would go to the CFP if that happens?

Love this take.

But the variable you’re leaving out is Penn State. The Rose Bowl is allowed to select a team that didn’t play in the Big Ten championship game. Not saying they will ...

OSU's one loss could be to the one loss Gophs in the B1G championship. Are you saying neither would go to the CFP if that happens?

That would be a very interesting scenario.

Would depend on a lot of outside variables, like if Oregon and OU are 1-loss champions, if Notre Dame is 1-loss, if LSU/Bama loser is 1-loss.

I think if Minnesota loses to Penn State and Iowa but beats Wisconsin and Northwestern, and Wisconsin beats Iowa, that could lead to a 7-2 Minnesota winning the West outright over 6-3 Iowa and Wisconsin teams. Then, assuming we lose to Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship game, I would think an 11-1 Penn State, whose only loss is to Ohio State, would get the Rose Bowl bid over 10-3 Minnesota.

Yep, Penn State is the key game in upping the odds of Rose Bowl bid.

If Penn State is 10-1 with their only loss being to OSU, we would need to win the rest of our games including the conference championship to make it. 11-1 PSU would go over 11-2 Gophers with PSU winning the head to head.

If Penn State is 10-1 with their only loss being to OSU, we would need to win the rest of our games including the conference championship to make it. 11-1 PSU would go over 11-2 Gophers with PSU winning the head to head.

If gophs win out like you say, they jump the Rose Bowl into the CFP. If both have one loss (OSU), a 12-1 Gophs would go over a 11-1 Penn State.

Nice post, OP. With 4 games left the possibilities are endless, but most likely scenarios seem to be:

MN wins out, including B1G championship = CFP at 13-0
MN wins out, but loses to OSU = Rose at 12-1
MN loses to PSU, but wins last 3. I think either a W or L in the B1G championship = NY6 (Orange?) at 12-1 or 11-2
MN loses to PSU and 1 more, but makes B1G championship (realistically an L in this case) = Outback at 9-3

I won't consider other possibilities :)

Agreed that an 11-1 Penn State would get the rose bowl over 11-2 MN. But it would feel really disappointing for an 11-2 Gophers to go to the Outback bowl. I would hope that a 3rd big ten team could sneak into the NY6 in that scenario. Not sure if there is any possibility of that.

Agreed that an 11-1 Penn State would get the rose bowl over 11-2 MN. But it would feel really disappointing for an 11-2 Gophers to go to the Outback bowl. I would hope that a 3rd big ten team could sneak into the NY6 in that scenario. Not sure if there is any possibility of that.

I think an 11-2 Gophs goes to Orange bowl in your scenario if one of the losses is to PSU, if Gophs beat PSU, I think 11-2 Gophs go to Rose and PSU goes to Orange.

I think an 11-2 Gophs goes to Orange bowl in your scenario if one of the losses is to PSU, if Gophs beat PSU, I think 11-2 Gophs go to Rose and PSU goes to Orange.

I think if it was a choice in the matter, Gopher fans would overwhelmingly prefer to go to the Rose Bowl over the Orange Bowl whereas Penn St. would not mind either one. Nothing against the Orange Bowl - that is an outstanding Bowl game but we really want to get back to the Rose Bowl. I think Penn St. probably views those bowls as equals and would gladly take either one.

Scenario exists where we beat PSU and PSU beats OSU which then yields a PSU-MN rematch in BTT should we get there.

Lot of options not dead yet in the Big Ten.
OSU does look great but a hiccup can still happen.

They still have to play Penn State and Michigan as well as against a very talented Maryland team.
(Who am I kidding about Maryland. OSU will score 70 points against MD).

While that is a valid argument, it wouldn’t be automatic. The Rose could still choose to select us over Penn St. Though practically we might have to maintain a top 12 CFP ranking after the conf championship game.

Say if we barely lose to PSU, and then lose to Ohio St by a closer margin than PSU does.

I think if it was a choice in the matter, Gopher fans would overwhelmingly prefer to go to the Rose Bowl over the Orange Bowl whereas Penn St. would not mind either one. Nothing against the Orange Bowl - that is an outstanding Bowl game but we really want to get back to the Rose Bowl. I think Penn St. probably views those bowls as equals and would gladly take either one.

Why do you think that PSU and its fans would feel any differently about the choice between the Rose and Orange bowl?

I guess if the choice is playing Wake Forest or Oregon in a prestigious bowl I'd rather play Wake Forest. I hate losing bowl games more than any other single game because that game is the last memory of the season and for the following 8 months.

Iowa had a 10-2 regular season in 2009, went to the Orange Bowl, played and defeated GA Tech, and finished as the #7 ranked team in the country. I'd certainly take that.

Last edited:

Why do you think that PSU and its fans would feel any differently about the choice between the Rose and Orange bowl?

I guess if the choice is playing Wake Forest or Oregon in a prestigious bowl I'd rather play Wake Forest. I hate losing bowl games more than any other single game because that game is the last memory of the season and for the following 8 months.

Iowa had a 10-2 regular season in 2009, went to the Orange Bowl, played and defeated GA Tech, and finished as the #7 ranked team in the country. I'd certainly take that.

I guess because the nostalgia and romance of the Rose is from the history of the Big Ten, and Penn St didn’t share that history for as long. In theory, Penn St should’ve been in the Big East.
Just never worked out that way.

The two guys at ESPN have us at either the Orange Bowl or the Outback Bowl.

The Rose bowl will not take a non participant in the BIG championship.....an 11-1 or 2 PSU will get the last team out of the SEC, not making the playoffs.

The Rose bowl will not take a non participant in the BIG championship.....an 11-1 or 2 PSU will get the last team out of the SEC, not making the playoffs.

That is technically not correct, but it could work out that way. Hopefully it does, if we make (and lose) the Big Ten champ game.

This. Honestly, as happy as I am about winning here in the regular season, it puts us in higher bowls vs. tougher opponents (Usually the SEC for our high end bowl possibilities and the SEC plays tougher opponents and are more battle tested). Plus, losing the bowl game does put a sour taste in my mouth. It then comes back when going to the State Fair and not seeing a bowl trophy in the trophy case.

Top Bottom