Huge boost for recruiting

Gold Rush

Reaction score
This team is getting a good buzz with the 8-0 start, but how much does something like this help for recruiting? I heard PJ Fleck in the postgame interview mention he and his staff were going to be out recruiting during the off week. First off, I bet it is a lot easier to sell the program right now but I am wondering if this is helping him open up doors that weren't there before?

I think Fleck is onto something big here and he just might have a gold mine at Minnesota. New coaches have to sell a dream but he has something to back it up with now. Recruiting right now has got to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

I realize kids choose colleges for many reasons, but if you are a local kid you would have to be absolutely nuts not to see what is going on here and choose to go out of state instead of play for the Gophers.

This team is getting a good buzz with the 8-0 start, but how much does something like this help for recruiting? I heard PJ Fleck in the postgame interview mention he and his staff were going to be out recruiting during the off week. First off, I bet it is a lot easier to sell the program right now but I am wondering if this is helping him open up doors that weren't there before?

I think Fleck is onto something big here and he just might have a gold mine at Minnesota. New coaches have to sell a dream but he has something to back it up with now. Recruiting right now has got to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

I realize kids choose colleges for many reasons, but if you are a local kid you would have to be absolutely nuts not to see what is going on here and choose to go out of state instead of play for the Gophers.

5* QB come hither.

It helps us lock down the commitments we currently have, but won’t really help for adding new names to the 2020 class. We are mostly full and most players have narrowed their list down by now and really won’t open up their list at this point in the season.

It will help to bring the attention of a higher caliber athlete for the 2021 class, which I am sure is where Fleck will be spending much time.

Also, 5* QB’s tend to be drama queens who often believe their talent is better than it is in reality. Tate Martell is the poster boy for this, I am glad we have Tanner over the Tater.

Tanner reminds me of those guards that played for Loyola two years ago that nobody recruited very hard but they were big winners in high school. That's what sold that coach on them.

Tanner reminds me of those guards that played for Loyola two years ago that nobody recruited very hard but they were big winners in high school. That's what sold that coach on them.

Big winners in highschool are a dime a dozen.

Being 8-0 now helps - but long-term, it has to be sustained.

Helmet Schools are helmet schools for a reason - because they're up there in the top 10, top 15 every year. that's when you become a brand name. "Minnesota" is not a brand name yet in college football. A lot depends on what happens the rest of the season. Winning a division title, playing in a conference championship game, playing in a major New Year's Day Bowl game - that's what helmet schools do.

So, being 8-0 is good, but the real test will be the rest of the season. If the Gophers (let's say) play in the conference title game, win a major bowl game, and wind up 12-2 for the season, that is something they can really recruit on.

Because, like it or not, the real big-time recruits want to play for schools where they're on national TV every week, playing in the big national showcase games, and have everyone talking about them. That's not MN - not yet.

Big winners in highschool are a dime a dozen.

Why does PJ keep mentioning how Tanner was the qb that went from 1-11 to 11-0 (1). Because he was a winner just like those Loyola guards. That intangible is not a dime a dozen.

I am wondering if a certain MN OL who committed to the Badgers would reconsider his home state Gophers.

One thing is certain - the Gophers want a dominant Offensive Line.

Right now we are a flash in the pan school. Need sustained excellence to become a helmet school.

On the PJ Fleck Show last night without PJ Fleck, Ron Johnson mentioned a nephew at Michigan who stated something to the effect "Wish they'd recruited me harder" or similar in the face of the team's current success.

One anecdoctal data point but still nice to hear.

Also, 5* QB’s tend to be drama queens who often believe their talent is better than it is in reality. Tate Martell is the poster boy for this, I am glad we have Tanner over the Tater.
Yeah, who would want a 5*... Josh Rosen, Jake Fromm, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Jacob Eason, etc.

Yeah, who would want a 5*... Josh Rosen, Jake Fromm, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Jacob Eason, etc.

In terms of IQ, grit, and accuracy, I think we might've gotten a 5* in Morgan. He's not as athletic and doesn't have the arm strength of those other guys (but can throw it 40 yards, lol), but he does all the things needed to move this offense. The story in that article about him in another thread was fascinating: attended an Elite 11 satellite camp, and out of 150+ QBs was selected to participate in some competition against Fromm, Lawrence, and some other big name. Apparently nobody performed better in terms of completion percentage or release time...something like that. Based on what I've seen in his 12 or so games, I'd believe it.

Fleck mentioned on one of the 1,000 interviews this week that they will be out checking on commits and recruits this week. They can't contact the kids, but can be checking with counselors and coaches. Twice he mentioned that committing to the U is a two way street. Grades and behavior need to be inline. Sounded like a final canvas before signing in December and there could be some changes.

Fleck mentioned on one of the 1,000 interviews this week that they will be out checking on commits and recruits this week. They can't contact the kids, but can be checking with counselors and coaches. Twice he mentioned that committing to the U is a two way street. Grades and behavior need to be inline. Sounded like a final canvas before signing in December and there could be some changes.

I would have to imagine they are primarily looking at 2021's at this point. I could see Johnson and Lockett being added (which would require at least one decommit), but I don't know of any other potential 2020 decisions where we are still in the mix.

He said on the Sunday thing there might be some changes. I took that to mean upgrades. But who knows.

I think we do okay with 3* and 4* QB's.

If there is a position I'd like to see 5* people at, it's Defensive Line.

He said on the Sunday thing there might be some changes. I took that to mean upgrades. But who knows.

It did sound like some guys might be getting squeezed out.
Not keeping up with that NEXXTON mentality the class is named after.

Why does PJ keep mentioning how Tanner was the qb that went from 1-11 to 11-0 (1). Because he was a winner just like those Loyola guards. That intangible is not a dime a dozen.

Meh

The Timberwolves GM's also always talk about how all their draft picks, Johnny Flynn, Wes Johnson, Wayne Ellington, Wiggins, Towns etc. all come from winning college and high school programs and they all "aren't use to losing" and "hate losing."

Well having all those "winners" hasn't helped the wolves much.

Meh

The Timberwolves GM's also always talk about how all their draft picks, Johnny Flynn, Wes Johnson, Wayne Ellington, Wiggins, Towns etc. all come from winning college and high school programs and they all "aren't use to losing" and "hate losing."

Well having all those "winners" hasn't helped the wolves much.

This comparison makes zero sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMHO, the Gophers have a formula for recruiting success that relies on attention to detail and getting the players that fit their mold. Team players with a combination of good character, academics, and athleticism.

I don't think they'd go after high star head cases. But, I don't think they will NOT (fify) turn down a 5* player that checked all their boxes.

They cannot afford too many recruiting misses unlike tOSU and company.

Last edited:

Richard Agyukem just decommitted, so you are on to something.

Edit: Not my info. Another thread started here

Add it to the list of things that “will help boost recruiting”. Use page 2 if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you suggesting we don’t always honor our commitments to recruits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were a parent with a kid currently being recruited by Fleck, or having been recruited by Fleck, my biggest question right now would be: "What are your future plans, Coach?"

Fleck has not only done a great job here, he has done it fast. He clearly has a successful formula for molding a team and getting it to perform, while pulling in players that match what he needs to achieve the program goals. I hope assurances are currently being made in private, and contract extensions are on the near horizon in public. Get it done. Keep the ball rolling.

Top Bottom