Chip: Blowout victory sets up dream scenario for Gophers football program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

But here it is, that dream scenario now reality, a moment to embrace and cherish: The Gophers checked another box to set up the biggest home game for the program since Michigan came to town on a Friday night in 2003.

The Gophers assured themselves more national recognition by throttling Maryland 52-10 to remain undefeated and extend their lead in the Big Ten West to two games.

The Gophers enter their bye week knowing they will return to the spectacle of a visit by undefeated Penn State on Nov. 9. A clash of two 8-0 teams with a possible first ever visit by ESPN College GameDay. Penn State is ranked No. 6 nationally, the Gophers No. 17. Both likely will be ranked higher by then.

There shouldn’t be an empty seat inside TCF Bank Stadium for this one. If a game of this magnitude doesn’t generate a sellout, there is no hope for college football in this market.

“We had a huge party in there,” coach P.J. Fleck said, motioning to the locker room. “It was a heck of a party. I told them to enjoy it. They have to enjoy it.”

Seriously, folks. This is a big deal, a significant moment for Fleck’s program. An opportunity to make the college football world take notice. A chance to silence skeptics who nitpick the quality of the Gophers’ schedule to death. This will be a fun two weeks of anticipation.

http://www.startribune.com/blowout-...nario-for-gophers-football-program/563925062/

Go Gophers!!

The local media is finally catching on. Better late than never, I guess.

He’s right. I don’t know what more this team could do to get every seat filled for PSU.

But of course, it will be the deer hunting opener. And it will be cold. So the excuses will be available.

He’s right. I don’t know what more this team could do to get every seat filled for PSU.

But of course, it will be the deer hunting opener. And it will be cold. So the excuses will be available.

I hope it's good ol' Minnesota butt cold with Penn State put on the shady side if there's sun.

Maybe, we'll see from the rest. That said, I think Chip has always been pretty fair.

I get the impression that Chip actually enjoys college football while most of the other columnists view it as a chore and a terrible part of their job.

If the game doesn't sellout it means the prices are too high.

I get the impression that Chip actually enjoys college football while most of the other columnists view it as a chore and a terrible part of their job.

Yep. Exactly.

Except for Sid, who is ... of course, as always, Sid.

And Reusse, who has apparently decided to fade into his retirement by reinventing himself as a troll.

It's interesting: Sid, the ultimate homer, will indeed get to see his Gophers transcendent one more time. Wonderful!

The University needs to get it through its thick skull that tickets priced at $150 and UP are not going to cut it in this market. If they want to sellout these games, get the prices down to a reasonable range ($25 to $100). They will pack the place. It is not rocket science!!!

He loves college football, especially Tennessee. But he at least has knowledge. Other media in this town have consistently been lazy and look for the laziest way to rip the Gophers. (Fleck is Brewster or "We're tired of hearing about being young. Win games. Your Juco QB didn't cut it so you suck and Brohm doesn't.")

He's likes college football (not the Gophers) and he is knowledgeable.
That's all we ask for.

The University needs to get it through its thick skull that tickets priced at $150 and UP are not going to cut it in this market. If they want to sellout these games, get the prices down to a reasonable range ($25 to $100). They will pack the place. It is not rocket science!!!

Agreed.

Top Bottom