Blowout Streak

BeenHazy

Reaction score
This is the first time the Gophers have won 4 consecutive conference games by 20 or more since 1935-36. That was when it was the Western Conference, so it's technically correct to say it's the first time they've ever done it in the Big Ten. Furthermore, they hadn't even had a streak of three such games since then.

A pair of Mason teams won 4 by 20+ against mostly non-conference opponents. 1998 ended with a 49-7 rout of the Hawkeyes, followed by 3 cupcakes to begin 1999. That streak came to an end when they only beat Northwestern by 19. The 2003 team crushed a 4-game non-con schedule before beating Penn State by 6. No other team since the 30s matched those streaks.

This is the first time the Gophers have won 4 consecutive conference games by 20 or more since 1935-36. That was when it was the Western Conference, so it's technically correct to say it's the first time they've ever done it in the Big Ten. Furthermore, they hadn't even had a streak of three such games since then.

A pair of Mason teams won 4 by 20+ against mostly non-conference opponents. 1998 ended with a 49-7 rout of the Hawkeyes, followed by 3 cupcakes to begin 1999. That streak came to an end when they only beat Northwestern by 19. The 2003 team crushed a 4-game non-con schedule before beating Penn State by 6. No other team since the 30s matched those streaks.

Thank you for posting this. I just wanted to say that the conference was known as the Western Conference until 1899 when Indiana and Iowa joined and it was then known as the Big Nine until Ohio State joined.

No doubt this is an unprecedented impressive run! Not just a “nice run”.

I just wanted to say that the conference was known as the Western Conference until 1899 when Indiana and Iowa joined and it was then known as the Big Nine until Ohio State joined.

Well, I learned something new today! The conference wasn't officially the Big Ten until 1987, having retained the original mouthful of “Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives” until then. Big Ten, Big Nine, and Western were all informal nicknames, Western being used concurrently with one of the other two (depending on the number of members) for decades - best as I can tell through the surprisingly small number of sources online. Sports-reference.com uses Western through 1952, the last time the conference had fewer than 10 members. Perhaps the east coast media used Western while locals used Big 10/9? Seems like something they would do.

really we kicked Purdue's butt too, that should have been a blowout

Thanks for posting. I hadn't even thought of that. It's truly impressive the manner in which they are winning. Never in my life have I seen a Gophers team that just dominates lesser opponents like this. These last few games have been unreal. And it seems like they keep getting better each week. This defense is scary good. And the offense is a pick your poison deal. Stack the box to stop the run and Morgan goes 21/22 for almost 400 yards and four touchdowns. Try to shut down the passing game....we have two straight games with 300+ yards rushing.

Morgan only threw for....what? 138 yards today? I guess Clark had 39 as well. And we still scored 52 points!!! But once again....over 300 yards rushing. Doesn't hurt when your kicka$$ defense is scoring points either.

really we kicked Purdue's butt too, that should have been a blowout

I was going to say that too. Technically speaking....it wasn't a blowout....but anybody watching the game knew that the Gophers basically dominated. Morgan passing 21/22 for 400 yards and 4 TDs pretty much says it all. They couldn't stop our passing game. The only reason they closed the gap is because the Gophers played ultra conservative for the entire fourth quarter....and they caught a few lucky bounces.

Top Bottom