Am I wrong? If the Gophers has beat wisconsin...

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
A few years ago in Madison, they would have been B1G West champs?

As I remember it, they were up early, it was close at half and Leidner was very bad in the second half.

As I remember it, they were up early, it was close at half and Leidner was very bad in the second half.

We were ahead but lost the game in the 4th quarter. Another time, under Kill's group, we were ahead at half-time, but lost.

Yes, we would has been but we didn’t has done.

Not blaming the refs, but there was a terrible hands to the face penalty on Tommy Olson that wiped away a first and goal situation. We ended up with a field goal to go up 17-0. I still believe we would have won that game if we would have scored a touchdown there.

I was at that game. Things had been going well. There was a prevailing sentiment that MN-WI was gonna decide the West a lot
in the future, But then Jerry started having health episodes the following year and that got derailed for a while

It was on the line in both 2014 and 2016 in Madison. This time hopefully at The Bank with a different outcome.

Not blaming the refs, but there was a terrible hands to the face penalty on Tommy Olson that wiped away a first and goal situation. We ended up with a field goal to go up 17-0. I still believe we would have won that game if we would have scored a touchdown there.

Either on KFAN or his Golden Gopher podcast interview, Tommy said he still can't believe that he got called for that penalty.

Hopefully we have the West won by the time we play Bucky.

It was on the line in both 2014 and 2016 in Madison. This time hopefully at The Bank with a different outcome.

Don't remember all the circumstances or tie breakers but a win in 2014 would have led to a three way tie between Neb, MN and Wis and in 2016 a win over Wisconsin would have led to a 4 way tie between Wis, Iowa, MN, and Neb

I think we would have been the West champ in 2014 not sure if we would have won the tiebreaker in 2016. Sure someone remembers the specifics though.

Gophers were up 14-3 & the penalty caused the Gophs to kick a FG instead of have 1st & goal, so 17-3 instead of 21-3. Badgers also got a end of half FG after a Cobb fumble to have momentum into half even though down 17-13. Gophers couldn't stop Wisconsin in the 2nd half.

That place has been a 2nd half of nightmares for the Gophers in the past 20 years, with 2000, 2002, 2008, 2014 & 2016; all games where the Gophers had a lead at some point in the 2nd half. The best thing to me about last year was how the Gophers finished & kicked that door down finally.

Don't remember all the circumstances or tie breakers but a win in 2014 would have led to a three way tie between Neb, MN and Wis and in 2016 a win over Wisconsin would have led to a 4 way tie between Wis, Iowa, MN, and Neb

I think we would have been the West champ in 2014 not sure if we would have won the tiebreaker in 2016. Sure someone remembers the specifics though.

No, 2016 Wisconsin had the Big Ten West title game berth already locked up going in to the game. 2014 was winner goes...

Thanks all. Sorry for the typo. Was working on and didn't double check the post. Too bad you can't edit thread titles.

2014: Up 14-3 after 1st, , 17-3 in 2nd (terrible penalty negated a chance to go up 21-3) and lost 24-34.
2016: Up 17-7 at halftime, 17-10 after 3, lost 17-31. Leidner 9-26 with 4 INT's. Ouch. This game would have created a 4-way tie for 1st between MN, WI, Iowa and Neb.

The big game in 2016 was vs Nebraska...tied at end of third quarter in Lincoln vs#21 Huskers...Gophs were 7-2 with OT loss in Happy Valley and 7 point loss to Iowa here earlier in year...pull that out to go 8-2, beat NW next week to go 9-2 and then the game in Madison would have for Big Ten West...

Yeah. I was at that game in Madison and that was an abysmal call. Agreed that we probably win that game if we score a TD rather than a FG there.

No, 2016 Wisconsin had the Big Ten West title game berth already locked up going in to the game. 2014 was winner goes...

If MN had won at Madison in 2016 MN, WI, IA, and NE all would have had a 6-3 conference record, and 9-3 overall record.

Not sure what the tie-breaker is in that scenario. But WI beat both NE and IA. And MN lost to both. So maybe a four-way tie is resolved by head-to-head record among the tied.

If MN had won at Madison in 2016 MN, WI, IA, and NE all would have had a 6-3 conference record, and 9-3 overall record.

Not sure what the tie-breaker is in that scenario. But WI beat both NE and IA. And MN lost to both. So maybe a four-way tie is resolved by head-to-head record among the tied.

I asked this question a while back about scenarios for this year, and if I remember right it comes down to head-to-head record, but if that is still a tie then it comes down to Big Ten strength of schedule (meaning the record of the opponents each team beat).

The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:

(a) If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other.

2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.

3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).

4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.

5. The highest ranked team in the first College Football Playoff poll following the completion of Big Ten regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game, unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of each other in the College Football Playoff poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game.

6. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.

7. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

There was also a blown coverage that resulted in a long pass completion on 3rd and long that gave Wisconsin a lot of momentum. I believe that play completely changed the game. Before that Wisconsin wasn't doing much on offense.

IIRC, Leidner wasn’t the big problem in 2014 (when playing for the B1G West). He was in 2016, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were ahead but lost the game in the 4th quarter. <b>Another time, under Kill's group, we were ahead at half-time, but lost.</b>

Sure thing. Make it up as you go, huh?

Kill’s record when leading at halftime was awesome. Almost as awesome as his record when trailing at halftime was awful.

Kill’s record when leading at halftime was awesome. Almost as awesome as his record when trailing at halftime was awful.

I was thinking the same thing. Didnt he make it two full seasons in without ever losing after leading at halftime or losing when trailing at halftime?

Also, as for the 2014 game, I think I remember our bizarre conservativism spotting them points at the end of the first half.

Was 5-3 his best conference record ? What was his overall record ? I could care less about could have, should have, may have, but,if.....

Top Bottom