STrib: A 'GameDay' visit to Minneapolis next month? Not out of the question

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

When announcing ESPN “College GameDay” would head to South Dakota State for the first time this Saturday to feature the FCS heavyweight fight with North Dakota State, host Rece Davis said something that should pique the interest of Gophers fans.

“There’s so many different places where the sport runs deep, where it’s important. ‘College Gameday’ gets to capture those each and every week,” Davis said in his Twitter video. “And while we love going to places that we return to again and again, I don’t know if anything quite gives me the same type of adrenaline rush like going to a new place.”

Well, the Gophers could give Davis and the rest of his panel a thrill. The Gophers are one of just 10 remaining Power Five teams to have never hosted the popular Saturday morning show. The others are Cal, Duke, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia and Wake Forest.

With the Gophers potentially at 8-0 and playing top-10-ranked Penn State on Nov. 9, maybe “GameDay” would want to check Minnesota off that list.

Or maybe not.

While “GameDay” this weekend chose to spotlight a lower-division rivalry instead of a big-game matchup, the second Saturday in November pretty much demands the opposite. It has the potential to boast a No. 1 vs. No. 2 knockout between Alabama and LSU.

“Rarely is there ever a singular factor that decides the site of ‘College GameDay,’ ” Derek Volner, ESPN communications manager for college sports, said in a statement. “The entire week’s game slate, teams, rankings and potential site location all play a factor, along with the season’s story lines. We always say that we go to the ‘best story line of the week.’ ”

Volner did add the Gophers “have certainly caught the attention of ‘College GameDay,’ ” so there might still be hope this season. The Gophers’ regular-season finale against Wisconsin, for example, could end up being a can’t-miss game — a rivalry on a campus “GameDay” has never been to with the Big Ten West title possibly on the line between two highly ranked teams.

http://www.startribune.com/a-gameda...next-month-not-out-of-the-question/563820162/

Go Gophers!!

I actually don’t hate our odds of getting Gameday for the Wisconsin game. Rivalry week is relatively dull this year. 2 potential competitors are Bama-Auburn sand OSU-Mich. Really depends on how Michigan and Auburn do the next 4 games. We probably have to be 9-2 at least to get them to come.

I don't know how many people watched the game on TV, but the setup for Gameday in two weeks was all over the place. It's happening for PSU. Bet the farm on it.

LSU @ Alabama will both be undefeated that same week and that will be huge. On the plus side for Minnesota/PSU, Gameday was at LSU earlier this year...but they haven't been to Alabama. We'll see.

Does anybody have ideas of where GameDay would set up if they come? Thinking on the Bank plaza or the Mall, although it would be awesome and unique to our campus to load everyone up on a barge and float down the Mississippi.

Does anybody have ideas of where GameDay would set up if they come? Thinking on the Bank plaza or the Mall, although it would be awesome and unique to our campus to load everyone up on a barge and float down the Mississippi.

Dinkytown!

LSU @ Alabama will both be undefeated that same week and that will be huge. On the plus side for Minnesota/PSU, Gameday was at LSU earlier this year...but they haven't been to Alabama. We'll see.

They haven't been to Alabama ... this year.

They've never been to Minnesota.

Come on!!

Think I started a thread about us getting CGD over a month ago and everyone basically shot it down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I started a thread about us getting CGD over a month ago and everyone basically shot it down...

You were ahead of your time. I was actually looking for that thread. This one should be folded into it.

You were ahead of your time. I was actually looking for that thread. This one should be folded into it.

Yeah on September 12th I posted a thread.
3b392b4c4b0101e33d2326d22349f1f3.jpg

Dinky

I'm from los angeles, fly up once a year for a Goph game.
believe it or not i picked the PSU game this year because i told my wife we would both be 8-0 and gameday would be there.
Cant believe this actually came true!
gameday or not I'm so pumped to see this game!

I'm one of the biggest Gopher fans there is, but I'm not sure we deserve Gameday with this busted fringe fanbase. Good on PJ for holding his tongue on saying anything public, but Minnesota fans are not great fans. We have a great core, but a bunch of punk fickle fans more concerned with the Vikings takes this group down

I'm one of the biggest Gopher fans there is, but I'm not sure we deserve Gameday with this busted fringe fanbase. Good on PJ for holding his tongue on saying anything public, but Minnesota fans are not great fans. We have a great core, but a bunch of punk fickle fans more concerned with the Vikings takes this group down

Fleck did make a pretty big public statement directed entirely at College GameDay. Look it up on YouTube, it was right after the game today.

Fleck did make a pretty big public statement directed entirely at College GameDay. Look it up on YouTube, it was right after the game today.

I saw that, but he didn't complain about the attendance at games or people leaving early - as Nick Saban and Gary Patterson have both done this year.

Oh shush.

All kinds of Maroon and Gold clad folks would come out of the woodwork for the filming of GameDay. Easy.

Did you watch any of it for this week at ... South Dakota State?? They packed their stadium, with like 19k fans. They had lots of fans in the background for GameDay filming at it looked like a great atmosphere.

I've been calling 8-0 Minnesota v 8-0 Penn State hosting Gameday since this winter. I now think we're actually going to get it vs. Wisconsin as long as the Gophers don't stink up the joint in November. In almost all likely scenarios that game is for the West title, and in the others it means Minnesota is 10-1 or 11-0 going in.

I think any other week of the season it would be coming for the Penn State game but we're going to lose out to Bama/LSU.

I've been calling 8-0 Minnesota v 8-0 Penn State hosting Gameday since this winter. I now think we're actually going to get it vs. Wisconsin as long as the Gophers don't stink up the joint in November. In almost all likely scenarios that game is for the West title, and in the others it means Minnesota is 10-1 or 11-0 going in.

I think any other week of the season it would be coming for the Penn State game but we're going to lose out to Bama/LSU.

Last sentence is very likely, unfortunately.

But I disagree that we have much chance to get it for the Axe. Think the most likely scenario you'd see is for both to be 9-2 heading into that game, which probably puts both around #15-ish.

Not sure if that's the best game for rivalry week, or if it warrants GameDay crew deciding to come to Minnesota at the end of November to freeze.

Top Bottom