Chris Wright: Safe to say, Minnesota is the worst undefeated team in college football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chris:

Last week, Wisconsin became the 48th Power 5 team to lose to an unranked team this season.

That leaves 16 more … and Alabama, which might not ever lose to an unranked team again.

Who falls first?

Here’s a prediction of when the remaining 17 Power 5 teams will lose to an unranked team.

Minnesota: The Gophers won their first 3 nonconference games, all against unranked teams, by a combined 13 points. That included a double-OT win against Fresno State. Safe to say, Minnesota is the worst undefeated team in college football. They’ll have at least 2 chances to slip up and possibly 3 if Iowa loses to Wisconsin and falls out of the Top 25.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/predicting-when-power-5-teams-lose-to-unranked-teams/

Go Gophers!!

Tough to argue, but as the season goes on being the worst undefeated team gets better and better. Let's hang on to that title for one more week then decide how we rank as far as 1 loss teams.

I mean yeah you can argue that we're the worst of the undefeateds, but you've gotta have better reasoning than the first three games. That's ancient history compared to where the team is now.

This team could potentially be the worst 15-0 team in the history of college football.

I'm good with that!!

I suppose there are worse things that they could be talking about..

#16 SMU is worse. However, their sole good win so far (@TCU) is better than any Minnesota win to date.

You really haven't arrived until you are the worst team to ever win the Rose Bowl.

Enjoy the season. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Can't even count the number of times the Badgers have been the worse this or that. Whatever.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Never miss a chance to turn sunny lemonade into bitter lemons. And its Not safe to say the Gophers are the worst undefeated team. There's SMU at 7-0 and Appalachian State at 6-0. We shall see about Penn State in a couple of weeks.

Never miss a chance to turn sunny lemonade into bitter lemons. And its Not safe to say the Gophers are the worst undefeated team. There's SMU at 7-0 and Appalachian State at 6-0. We shall see about Penn State in a couple of weeks.

I don't agree with the author, but he is talking about the chance of an undefeated team losing to an unranked team, not an undefeated team losing period. Even if PSU lost to us, they would not be losing to an unranked team (unless, of course, we lose to Maryland and that is enough to knock us out of the top 25).

Of course, the author probably is wrong even on his main point, because SMU is one of only two ranked teams in its conference and Appalachian State is the only ranked team in its conference. If either of those teams lost, the loss most likely would be against an unranked team.

I mean yeah you can argue that we're the worst of the undefeateds, but you've gotta have better reasoning than the first three games. That's ancient history compared to where the team is now.

Yes, but every one who slams us points to the narrow wins in those first 3 games and kind of ignores the fact that we've dominated the conference teams (even though the final score against Purdue was only a touchdown). Some have pointed out, though, that the dominance in conference so far has been surprising given expectations after the first three games.

Tough to argue, but as the season goes on being the worst undefeated team gets better and better. Let's hang on to that title for one more week then decide how we rank as far as 1 loss teams.

Right now I would settle for being the worst of Chris Wright's EIGHT and zero teams at the end of the week. I don't care what people like Chris Wright have to say, let's just worry about beating the teams in front of us. Maryland will be a tough opponent and even though we are favored by 16.5 to win they have really handled us the last couple times. I am expecting them to be tough especially offensively. Hoping for a very nice Gopher crowd this weekend because we need all the help we can get!

You can always tell the lazy writers when this is their sole reason to knock us. Most of them stop at narrow win against FCS team and just assume that means we are garbage. Never mind that FCS team is unbeaten after playing us and will be on Gameday.

It is what it is, we will be knocked as the worst of the ranked teams, worst of the unbeaten, worst of the whatever until we go out and beat a team like Penn State. Would still rather be in a position to be called the worst first place division leader in football then the alternative.

Keep writing these articles. Hopefully our opponents and their fans will believe it. It will make it easier for MN to keep on winning.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Eventually, we’ll lose a game or two, but if we win Saturday, that’s 11-1 over an 12 game stretch, with many blowout wins against P5 teams. That fact seems to get lost in the shuffle with these people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it really matter. Who cares. I'd like to be undefeated for two more weeks and I don't care who says we're the worst. Worst undefeated is a great spot to be in the second half of any season.

It's only "safe" to say because there's no real way of testing it, it's not obvious at all. Minnesota hasn't played the easiest schedule of the undefeateds: Sagarin has Minnesota's schedule at #81, Appalachian State's at #128 and SMU's at #88. If Appalachian State loses to Georgia Southern or SMU loses to Houston and Minnesota beats Maryland, he probably won't say "I was wrong about the Gophers", more likely he'll say "Well, NOW the Gophers are the worst undefeated team in the country."

In any case, I'll take being the worst undefeated team. It beats being the best unfeated team.

For that to be true, the Gophers would have to lose their next five games, which they won't. S. Dakota State is a national power in their division and hosts Game Day Saturday. Fresno State is a decent team. Illinois beat Wisconsin and I think Nebraska will upset Iowa. The Gophers are improving week to week and are a better team now than in September. How they do in November can't obliterate their good record so far, even if they win only one of the four. If they can get by Maryland, one more win would mean a 9-3 season (and a bowl win is not impossible).

Things I never knew:

I never realized that, by playing a schedule that happens to be perceived by certain "experts" as an an "easy" schedule, Minnesota actually became a poorer team.

Interesting! Fascinating stuff...

Clemson was the worst undefeated team last year...so it's good company to keep:)

Things I never knew:

I never realized that, by <b>playing a schedule that happens to be perceived by certain "experts" as an an "easy" schedule, </b>Minnesota actually became a poorer team.

Interesting! Fascinating stuff...

You don’t think our schedule has been easy?

Hopefully we are the worst undefeated team in college football in 4 or 5 weeks too.

You don’t think our schedule has been easy?

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. It's more that some use the schedule to say "Minnesota is bad" rather than "Minnesota is unproven".

<b>I don't think anyone disagrees with that. </b>It's more that some use the schedule to say "Minnesota is bad" rather than "Minnesota is unproven".

I think the poster I responded to either disagrees with that or has to really brush up on how to use quotation marks.

7-0 is 7-0. 4-0 in the B1G is even better. I’m not downplaying our success - doing that is indeed silly. I do object, however, to the need to inflate it more by denying that our schedule has been pretty damn easy. That was identified before the year and has played out that way.

Top Bottom