Chris Wright: Safe to say, Minnesota is the worst undefeated team in college football

Eventually, we’ll lose a game or two, but if we win Saturday, that’s 11-1 over an 12 game stretch, with many blowout wins against P5 teams. That fact seems to get lost in the shuffle with these people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's around a 10% chance this team goes undefeated so I don't think that I would state that as a fact :p

Undefeated teams that Minnesota would be favored against on a neutral field:
- Baylor -0.1
- SMU -10.7
- App. St. -10.7

Minnesota is nowhere near the worst undefeated team in the country right now.
You could make an argument for worst undefeated P5 team.

I love that we're making SEC country insecure though ;)

EDIT
SMU should be -10.5

Everytime I read the words "Worst Undefeated Team" it cracks me up. I guess it is normal for people to rank everything but being the worst undefeated team makes something that is awesome (being undefeated) somehow seem like it is a bad thing.

Schedule laid out perfect and we have managed to avoid losing that game we were supposed to win (Wisconsin v Illinois). Hopefully we keep that rolling tomorrow against Maryland and then we can see what happens in November.

Will be thrilled if all the writers are calling us the worst 8-0 team in the country on Sunday.

Only issue I have is his "safe to say..." comment. That makes it seem like they're by far the worst of the undefeated teams which isn't true at all.

It's like those stupid (IMHO) singing shows. They make a big deal if someone is second to last more than once. If you come in second to last every week you win the competition...

The Gophers looked a little rough in the NC games and their outcomes were closer than I would have liked. I still believe they Milton Berle'd those games. They didn't want to dominate them, they only wanted to show just enough to win. I think if they knew how close the games would be that they would have done things a little different, but they weren't expecting the odd plays that kept the other teams in the game (killer penalties, strip sack TD, blocked FG for TD...). If the Gophers had played disciplined (like they have in B1G play) they probably comfortably win all those games with the same game plan. I never felt like the Gophers weren't the better team in those games, just they would shoot themselves in the foot...

People can say what they want. All the Gophers can do is beat the teams they play at this point. There are a lot of "better teams" (Wisconsin amongst others) that lost to teams they should have beat. There are a lot of non-undefeated teams that played weaker schedules than MN has. Going 7-0 is not easy in FBS period. They shouldn't apologize for beating the teams they played.

If tOSU had played the same schedule with the same results would they be in the same position? I highly doubt it because they aren't MN.

No tradition of winning. Not enough speed. Not enough talent. Overmatched.

Eventually, we’ll lose a game or two, but if we win Saturday, that’s 11-1 over an 12 game stretch, with many blowout wins against P5 teams. That fact seems to get lost in the shuffle with these people.

There will be skeptics that say that stretch does not include many wins over ranked teams. 7-0 seems pretty hard to do. The next 4 games will say everything.

It's like those stupid (IMHO) singing shows. They make a big deal if someone is second to last more than once. If you come in second to last every week you win the competition...

The Gophers looked a little rough in the NC games and their outcomes were closer than I would have liked. I still believe they Milton Berle'd those games. They didn't want to dominate them, they only wanted to show just enough to win. I think if they knew how close the games would be that they would have done things a little different, but they weren't expecting the odd plays that kept the other teams in the game (killer penalties, strip sack TD, blocked FG for TD...). If the Gophers had played disciplined (like they have in B1G play) they probably comfortably win all those games with the same game plan. I never felt like the Gophers weren't the better team in those games, just they would shoot themselves in the foot...

People can say what they want. All the Gophers can do is beat the teams they play at this point. There are a lot of "better teams" (Wisconsin amongst others) that lost to teams they should have beat. There are a lot of non-undefeated teams that played weaker schedules than MN has. Going 7-0 is not easy in FBS period. They shouldn't apologize for beating the teams they played.

If tOSU had played the same schedule with the same results would they be in the same position? I highly doubt it because they aren't MN.

Amen. Those early games the Gophers were learning how to win and play team football. All those extra excursions to Fogo de Chao, game outings, to PJ Fleck's Minnetonka home, charity work,etc...are allowing the players to have fun and form strong bonds.

I watched the team on the sidelines and they are full of vitality and happiness. Say what you want,they are drinking PJ's koolaide.

Sure, we don't know how many games this team will win in the remainder of the season. It has special so far.

They're Celebrating Mental Health Awareness today. It's appropriate. The Gophers took care of their athletes mental well-being. They perform well in the classroom, in the community, and on the playing field.

PJ Fleck is delivering what he said he was going to do.

Last edited:

Amen. Those early games the Gophers were learning how to win and play team football. All those extra excursions to Fogo de Chao, game outings, to PJ Fleck's Minnetonka home, charity work,etc...are allowing the players to have fun and form strong bonds.

I watched the team on the sidelines and they are full of vitality and happiness. Say what you want,they are drinking PJ's koolaide.

Sure, we don't know how many games this team will win in the remainder of the season. It has special so far.

They're Celebrating Mental Health Awareness today. It's appropriate. The Gophers took care of their athletes mental well-being. They perform well in the classroom, in the community, and on the playing field.

PJ Fleck is delivering what he said he was going to do.

Oh my.
The only thing you forgot to mention were those “nudges” you are so fond of to right the ship with certain immature players.

Everytime I read the words "Worst Undefeated Team" it cracks me up. I guess it is normal for people to rank everything but being the worst undefeated team makes something that is awesome (being undefeated) somehow seem like it is a bad thing.

Schedule laid out perfect and we have managed to avoid losing that game we were supposed to win (Wisconsin v Illinois). Hopefully we keep that rolling tomorrow against Maryland and then we can see what happens in November.

Will be thrilled if all the writers are calling us the worst 8-0 team in the country on Sunday.

A classic example is BS Sports Video that two Nebraska fans posted pregame a second one post game. See Scott Frost' post game presser - http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?90538-Scott-Frost-post-game-presser/page3

Post #28 and #36. There are delusional dingbats floating around especially around Halloween time.

per Chris:

Last week, Wisconsin became the 48th Power 5 team to lose to an unranked team this season.

That leaves 16 more … and Alabama, which might not ever lose to an unranked team again.

Who falls first?

Here’s a prediction of when the remaining 17 Power 5 teams will lose to an unranked team.

Minnesota: The Gophers won their first 3 nonconference games, all against unranked teams, by a combined 13 points. That included a double-OT win against Fresno State. Safe to say, Minnesota is the worst undefeated team in college football. They’ll have at least 2 chances to slip up and possibly 3 if Iowa loses to Wisconsin and falls out of the Top 25.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/predicting-when-power-5-teams-lose-to-unranked-teams/

Go Gophers!!

Even if the Gophers had a 60% chance of winning each of their first 7 games the odds of winning them all are about 2.8%. That's pretty darn impressive in my book.

Last edited:

If people are just going to judge us off the first 3 games then yeah, we probably are the worst undefeated team. Watching the Gophers since then though our tackling has improved, we've cut down on the ridiculously stupid penalties, and our O-line has been playing much better. Rating them off the final scores and not actually watching them play is meaningless BS.

If people are just going to judge us off the first 3 games then yeah, we probably are the worst undefeated team. Watching the Gophers since then though our tackling has improved, we've cut down on the ridiculously stupid penalties, and our O-line has been playing much better. Rating them off the final scores and not actually watching them play is meaningless BS.

Not to mention they have added just a ton of tools to the box.

Looks like Oklahoma may have been a bad undefeated team. I can only hope we continue to be the worst undefeated team in college football for several more weeks.

Top Bottom