If Martin is out...

swingman

Reaction score
Do you trust Oliver and SoriMarin replacing him in the normal sets you've been running or do you get creative?

Use Coughlin more as a linebacker?

Use Chris Williamson differently?

Run more of a 3-4 look? Or more of a 4-3 than than the 4-2-5 they run a lot of?

Use more of that fast, athletic four-man front you see on third and long with more DE-types than DT-types?

Bring Winfield up in the box more?

Considering what we saw without him... i'm not very trusting.

But it is hard to know if Kamal is a huge linchpin or if everyone just got better as a group too.

I'd be wary of a big shake up... just those changes could throw everyone off even if well intentioned.

Do you trust Oliver and SoriMarin replacing him in the normal sets you've been running or do you get creative?

Use more of that fast, athletic four-man front you see on third and long with more DE-types than DT-types?

Martin is an important part of the defense but you don't change your entire setup just because one guy isn't in there. You spend the week getting the backups as ready as possible to play and then you go out and get it done.

I think Rush would get reps at Martin's position before Sori-Marin, right? Or is Rush out for some reason?

Rush and Oliver seem to be the most capable LB backups, at this point. At with our base defense seeming to be a 4-2-5 this season, at least LB depth isn't quite as important. Unless we're playing a team that only uses 2 WR in its base offense, but I don't think Maryland does. Seems the trend these days is to have at least 3 WR on the field in your base offense.

I think Rush would get reps at Martin's position before Sori-Marin, right? Or is Rush out for some reason?

Rush and Oliver seem to be the most capable LB backups, at this point. At with our base defense seeming to be a 4-2-5 this season, at least LB depth isn't quite as important. Unless we're playing a team that only uses 2 WR in its base offense, but I don't think Maryland does. Seems the trend these days is to have at least 3 WR on the field in your base offense.

Rush was in last week so think his health is fine. Surprised he doesn’t get more playing time though as he was all over the field making plays in his 4 allotted games as a frosh and again in the spring game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliver will probably take Kamal's spot. Appears he's beaten Rush out as the #3 LB. Either that or they put Sori-Marin in as he's the most natural inside LB and they keep Oliver as the #3 LB who subs in for Williamson. But both will likely play before Rush.

If Martin is out you simply can not expect someone from the second team to come in and do everything he does - although it would be nice if you could! I think you are going to have to have everyone else pick up some of the load. Your suggestions are all possibilities and you can be assured the coaching staff is looking at all sorts of things they can do especially if the new guy isn't picking everything up. You either make those type of adjustments or get toasted like Purdue did with the slant pass when they played us!

People realize Martin missed time earlier this year right?

That's true, but he has emerged as our best defensive player and he has enabled the team to do some things they were not capable of without him. That one is a tough loss but I think you still need to plan differently without him.

The sample size without Martin is tiny. Was the defense vs Fresno better than it was against SDSU? It’s not like SDSU dominated our defense. They scored 21 points and yes they ran for 170, but they are averaging 230 on the year.

Even if our defense totally collapses without him on Saturday, I think we can outscore Maryland. I’d rather we post our 4th straight Big Ten blowout, but I think the mismatch of our passing game vs Maryland’s defensive backfield still favors us in a high scoring game.

The only way I see us losing this one is if our defense totally collapses, and we have some bad turnovers and special teams gaffes.

We recruit depth for a reason. You dont redo your entire defensive scheme because one linebacker has an injury. You put in the backup linebacker.

Sori-Marin was better against GSU though.

I feel this could apply to basically any player on any team that has played against GSU and another team.

We recruit depth for a reason. You dont redo your entire defensive scheme because one linebacker has an injury. You put in the backup linebacker.

I mean you want depth... doesn't mean you have it.

Granted I wouldn't change the system either.

I feel this could apply to basically any player on any team that has played against GSU and another team.

GSU had a whole 189 yards of total offense vs the Gophers.

Sori-Marin should get his feet out of those two big buckets of cement he has them in before he plays ML again. He his a huge downgrade from Martin. I would rather have Oliver as he seems more athletic.

When I first read the title to this thread, I thought of an old football (Vikings) joke.

Two women are sitting in the stands at Metropolitan Stadium watching the Vikings game - the one woman turns to the other and says "I still can't figure out this game of football, can you?" The other woman replies "The only thing I've figured out is.........when Cox goes in, Siemon comes out"

I feel like they should be better now than they were at the begging of the season when they had virtually no experience.

Some truth, but if Martin is done for the season with a minimum of 6 games left...I think you absolutely put your best personnel in place. If the backups are not ready you make adjustments to put the best matchups available to you now on the field. We have more effective depth at defensive end than we do at linebacker with Kamal out.

If Kamal was out for only one game the argument is stronger to go with backups.

When I first read the title to this thread, I thought of an old football (Vikings) joke.

Two women are sitting in the stands at Metropolitan Stadium watching the Vikings game - the one woman turns to the other and says "I still can't figure out this game of football, can you?" The other woman replies "The only thing I've figured out is.........when Cox goes in, Siemon comes out"

Not sure how the thread title made you think of that joke.

Reminds of the 1994 Miami Dolphins. I think it was Marv Albert who said,
“Cox and Beavers are all over the field!” When Bryan Cox and Aubrey Beavers were having a good game at the linebacker position.

We don't know the status, but if Martin isn't 100% he isn't playing as we all know. I think we'll be fine with our depth as they know all eyes will be on them. They have to step up and get the job done. I think we'll be fine.

Top Bottom