When was the last time?

WestTexasGopher

Reaction score
...a ranked Gophers team played at home vs. a Top-10 team?

I'm thinking it has been quite a while. Certainly has never happened at TCF, right? Did it happen during Holtz's last season?

In other words, the Penn State game is a pretty big deal, provided we and PSU both win this week.

...a ranked Gophers team played at home vs. a Top-10 team?

I'm thinking it has been quite a while. Certainly has never happened at TCF, right? Did it happen during Holtz's last season?

In other words, the Penn State game is a pretty big deal, provided we and PSU both win this week.

Were we ranked after the 2-0 start in 2009 when we played Cal? I think Cal was top 10 at that time, although neither team finished that season well at all.

It was under Holtz. October 26th, 1985 vs #9 Ohio St. Gophers were ranked #20.

Mason had a few games where we were close. 2003 where we had back to back games vs #20 Michigan and #15 Michigan St at home, and the Gophers were ranked 17th and 25th for each of those games.

Otherwise, yes this is rare.

Gophs finished 2014 #25 in the College Football Playoff rankings. TCU finished #6. That opening night crowd in 2015 reflected that.

2005 was close. We were on the cusp of top 25 and hosted Purdue who was ranked #11. After we beat them in OT we jumped to 18th before getting killed by Penn State in the "Brandon Owens" game.

What was TCU ranked when they came to the Bank?

Gophs finished 2014 #25 in the College Football Playoff rankings. TCU finished #6. That opening night crowd in 2015 reflected that.

That was a fun night! I believe if we keep on the path we are on, we will see several more of those electric nights at the Bank!

When was the last time a ranked Gophers team beat another ranked team?

What was TCU ranked when they came to the Bank?

Yup 2.

We were not.

Granted in the end it was an "exciting" game described by most, but IMO both teams looked really rusty and that proved true the rest of the season.

Immediately jumped to 2014 vs Ohio State, but that was in the CFP poll, although that was right after the Iowa beatdown so I imagine the Gophers were damn close to being in the other polls too.

Granted in the end it was an "exciting" game described by most, but IMO both teams looked really rusty and that proved true the rest of the season.

I want to be the kind of rusty where we go 11-2 with an Alamo Bowl win. :p

When was the last time a ranked Gophers team beat another ranked team?

It would appear to be the 1962 Rose Bowl vs. UCLA (1961 Season). Gophers were #6 UCLA was #16. Last time a win, Ranked vs. ranked, happened at home was 2 games prior vs. Purdue. The last time it happened on the road was '56 against Michigan State.

Last edited:

2005 was close. We were on the cusp of top 25 and hosted Purdue who was ranked #11. After we beat them in OT we jumped to 18th before getting killed by Penn State in the "Brandon Owens" game.

Yeah, that was a huge loss, and very bad for Owens. He had NFL written all over him.

Here is the list of all games that the Gophers have played when AP Ranked vs. an opponent that is also AP Ranked (I will call these "AP Games") :

View attachment AP Ranked Games.txt

It's not pretty:

- the Gophers have lost their last 14 AP Games with their last win coming in 1962.
- For comparison, the Badgers have WON 15 AP Games since 2010.
- Gopher are 0-7 against WI in AP games.

Let's turn the tide this year.

Other interesting stat, we have not been ranked higher than 12th since 1962.

At one point in 1999, we were ranked 12.
At one point in 2004, we were ranked 13.

There's plenty of historical droughts left to snap!

Other interesting stat, we have not been ranked higher than 12th since 1962.

At one point in 1999, we were ranked 12.
At one point in 2004, we were ranked 13.

There's plenty of historical droughts left to snap!

We might be in the 12-13 range when we play Penn State, a win would for sure allow us to break that drought.

Playing in a 14 team conference and only playing 9 teams a year, it will be rare to see a top 10 team at home let alone twice in four weeks in PSU and possibly WI. Heck Alabama has only hosted 0-1 top 10 team each year for the last 10 years.

Last edited:

Top Bottom