Maryland may get top QB, RB back for Minnesota

Ha! No, they aren't. McFarland was sought-after by every school in the country, is being talked about as a high-end draft prospect, and might be the most athletic RB in the country.

You do have a good point, though, that I would probably rather face an injured McFarland than his healthy backups.

I think even if McFarland was the more sought after running back, that doesn’t matter as far as results go. Leake has been putting up better numbers.

We’ve been good against the run, we held Reggie Corbin (who is probably in the top 3-4 running backs in the Big Ten to 60 yards). I’m not really too worried about their run game. Without Kamal Martin, that makes me worry slightly more, but I think we’ll do fine.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think even if McFarland was the more sought after running back, that doesn’t matter as far as results go. Leake has been putting up better numbers.

We’ve been good against the run, we held Reggie Corbin (who is probably in the top 3-4 running backs in the Big Ten to 60 yards). I’m not really too worried about their run game. Without Kamal Martin, that makes me worry slightly more, but I think we’ll do fine.!

At minimum we will make their running backs earn their yards. Team has done a fantastic job at containing plays and preventing 20+ yard gains all season.

Great way to neutralize a teams running game is by putting points on the board with your offense. Sounds like the players Maryland is getting back all play offense, great for them...of course their defense is giving up 35 points a game and 500 yards a game in conference play and our offense has done ok since the Big Ten season has started.....I mean we only average nearly 40 points a game to go along with 467 yards each week.

I get what Maryland has done to us the past few seasons but that was also during the time when we were giving up big plays like crazy on defense. Slow them down a little and make them work to score, if we do that I honestly believe their offense is going to have a really hard time keeping up with ours. They will most likely score some points, but it won't be enough if our offense plays anywhere close to the way they are capable of playing.

Our best defense will be winning the time of possession. When we are on offense, their offense is watching.

Maryland scares me. They have speed and gave the Gophers trouble the last couple of times.

Can't take them lightly.

awful??? Rutgers is "awful". Maryland is very far from awful. Maryland beat a team earlier this year by about 70 points. Jeezus.

They also lost a home game by 59 points, lost to Temple, and are 1-3 in the B1G with losses to Purdue and Indiana.

Maryland scares me. They have speed and gave the Gophers trouble the last couple of times.

Can't take them lightly.

Both those were absolutely winnable games. Last year was part of the Robb Smith experiment. 2017 was a completely vanilla game plan on both sides of the ball with zero adjustments + questionable time management...MD loaded the box and left the 5-15 yards beyond the line wide open. It was extremely frustrating to watch yet it was tied with less than 4 minutes left in the game.

Gophs should cover the spread Saturday.

Can't take them lightly.

I feel like so much of the fear of Maryland is being driven by how they did in their first 2 games and what happened last year against them. I looked back at last year's boxscore, they didn't score a TD on a play shorter than 20 yards. It was at a time when we were giving up huge plays on defense left and right, since Rossi has taken over those big plays have been reduced to almost nothing.

Another interesting aspect of that game last year was Annexstad's 14 for 32 passing day with 2 picks - one of them being a pick 6. Can you picture Morgan going 14 for 32?

Maryland has 3 wins on the season, 2 of the 3 came against Howard and Rutgers. The third came against a way overrated Syracuse team which has gone on to win just 3 games this year against bad teams as well. This is not a great Maryland team, and if we play anywhere close to the way we are capable of playing this game will not be close.

Now if we turn the ball over or make a bunch of dumb mistakes anything is possible but if we play the way we have been playing since the Big Ten Season started we are going to be just fine in this one.

I feel like so much of the fear of Maryland is being driven by how they did in their first 2 games and what happened last year against them. I looked back at last year's boxscore, they didn't score a TD on a play shorter than 20 yards. It was at a time when we were giving up huge plays on defense left and right, since Rossi has taken over those big plays have been reduced to almost nothing.

Another interesting aspect of that game last year was Annexstad's 14 for 32 passing day with 2 picks - one of them being a pick 6. Can you picture Morgan going 14 for 32?

Maryland has 3 wins on the season, 2 of the 3 came against Howard and Rutgers. The third came against a way overrated Syracuse team which has gone on to win just 3 games this year against bad teams as well. This is not a great Maryland team, and if we play anywhere close to the way we are capable of playing this game will not be close.

Now if we turn the ball over or make a bunch of dumb mistakes anything is possible but if we play the way we have been playing since the Big Ten Season started we are going to be just fine in this one.

+1

I am not saying we cant lose. I am saying that the only way we lose is by playing badly against a bad team.

Locksley says rb McFarland and qb Josh Jackson back practicing. Both started the year on top of depth chart. Jackson the grad transfer from VaTech. Oline has been getting healthier.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/maryland/injuries/all/

They will be a handful, no doubt. We've had problems with their speed the last couple of years. Gophers will have to be at their best Saturday, and not thinking about the polls, Penn State, etc.

So this will be the Maryland version that beat Syracuse, no. 21 at the time, by a whooping 63 - 20. Based on the Fleck show, linked elsewhere on this forum, there are more returning 1st stringers than McFarland and Jackson.

Gophers better be ready for a close, tough game.

Those two played when they lost 59-0 to Penn State.

Really??? I tend to believe Fleck, who in the Fox Fleck show, said several star MD players will return after being out in recent weeks.

Well, my fears were unfounded after all. Great glimpse of Clark and Potts.

Top Bottom