Maryland may get top QB, RB back for Minnesota

Those two played when they lost 59-0 to Penn State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just better not look pass them. If we do it will be a long two weeks before Penn State. As we all know, on any given Saturday.....

I hope they’re back so critics can’t keep saying “well you know they played without their starting QB and a lot of injuries”. Sick of hearing that as the comeback for us being 7-0

Maryland is a riddle inside an enigma inside a sealed black box. One week they're dominant, the next week they're crushed. If Maryland is UP, Gophers will have their hands full.

Maryland is a riddle inside an enigma inside a sealed black box. One week they're dominant, the next week they're crushed. If Maryland is UP, Gophers will have their hands full.
Sounds like a certain Gopher team last year...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I just remember last year and how athletic they looked compared to us. Granted ... the Gophers had a teammate pass away during the week prior to the game. That is a tough thing for anyone to handle. So this game seems like a game the balloon could burst. I hope not. It would be really fun being undefeated coming into Penn State. I'm hoping it is cold and they don't handle weather very well.

Gophs hold the ball for 40 minutes and win with 3 long scoring drives in second half.

I just remember last year and how athletic they looked compared to us. Granted ... the Gophers had a teammate pass away during the week prior to the game. That is a tough thing for anyone to handle. So this game seems like a game the balloon could burst. I hope not. It would be really fun being undefeated coming into Penn State. I'm hoping it is cold and they don't handle weather very well.

Howden was new last year.
AWJr got hurt.
Robb Smith was coach.

Hopefully we see similar run defense improvement against MD like we saw against Illinois and Nebraska this year.

I think they’ll be up, we’re a top 20 team. Isn’t that enough motivation

Gophs hold the ball for 40 minutes and win with 3 long scoring drives in second half.

I think our ability to dominate the line of scrimmage with our offensive line and running the ball down their throat will be key if we are going to win. We need to dominate time of possession.

I think getting into a track meet shootout is playing into their hands.

The Gophers have done a very good job this season of limiting big plays, especially since B1G play started. If big plays can be limited as per usual, and Maryland is forced into multi-play drives, they should provide some turnovers to help keep this game from being too tight. I do think the spread is too big on this game and my worry level is probably similar to Nebraska. Of course the Nebraska game proved I went into it with too much concern. But, the 3 point spread in that one felt about right to me and with it being over two touchdowns here, I feel like it is too big. I would love another easy victory.

I like the fact the Gophers had those come from behind victories against the non conference schedule. It gave them experience in close games. Sure, it would have been fun to blow everyone out and quiet the critics but the team might not be as prepared to prevail in close B1G games when they arrive. I am thankful all that valuable experience didn't come in the form as a loss, because a couple of the non-con wins required remarkable plays to get the W.

Maryland has been a hot cold front running team the past few years. If they get down early with a decent lead they don't seem to keep the games close. Like Schnauzer said, the defense limiting the big plays will be key. I think the Gophers offense will be okay. Their offensive ranking is 51st and their defensive ranking is 89th

Oh no, an awful team might have their starters, what will we ever do?

And that can be what turns an "awful" team into an "okay" or even "good," team and vise versa. Look at how much people are worried if Martin plays or not. Same thing there.

I think they’ll be up, we’re a top 20 team. Isn’t that enough motivation

It won't be hard for anyone at Maryland to find press clippings from the last 2+ weeks that are saying the Gophers will be 8-0 going into a tough matchup with Penn State. That will be PLENTY of motivation. I've been thinking about that for a few weeks now; nothing like the world looking past you.

I'd be shocked if the Gophers cover the 17 point spread; but I also wouldn't put it past Maryland to fold if the Gophers get up early either.

And that can be what turns an "awful" team into an "okay" or even "good," team and vise versa. Look at how much people are worried if Martin plays or not. Same thing there.

I’m not convinced Jackson is much of an upgrade at QB, and the backup running backs are every bit as dangerous as McFarland. I might prefer to face the running back with a gimpy ankle in this case.

Oh no, an awful team might have their starters, what will we ever do?

awful??? Rutgers is "awful". Maryland is very far from awful. Maryland beat a team earlier this year by about 70 points. Jeezus.

It won't be hard for anyone at Maryland to find press clippings from the last 2+ weeks that are saying the Gophers will be 8-0 going into a tough matchup with Penn State. That will be PLENTY of motivation. I've been thinking about that for a few weeks now; nothing like the world looking past you.

I'd be shocked if the Gophers cover the 17 point spread; but I also wouldn't put it past Maryland to fold if the Gophers get up early either.

If the Gophers get up early, Maryland might fold. They are actually a pretty good/dangerous team when they're playing hard, but they soften easily.

awful??? Rutgers is "awful". Maryland is very far from awful. Maryland beat a team earlier this year by about 70 points. Jeezus.

Yeah. Against Howard who is 1-6 in the MEAC. I am not even sure if Howard gives football scholarships. They also lost to Harvard 62-17. I would hope the Terps would beat them by 70+.

Yeah. Against Howard who is 1-6 in the MEAC. I am not even sure if Howard gives football scholarships. They also lost to Harvard 62-17. I would hope the Terps would beat them by 70+.

They also beat a power 5 team in Syracuse 63-20. Now, Syracuse is not a good team, but hanging 63 on any power 5 school is an accomplishment.

the backup running backs are every bit as dangerous as McFarland

Ha! No, they aren't. McFarland was sought-after by every school in the country, is being talked about as a high-end draft prospect, and might be the most athletic RB in the country.

You do have a good point, though, that I would probably rather face an injured McFarland than his healthy backups.

They also beat a power 5 team in Syracuse 63-20. Now, Syracuse is not a good team, but hanging 63 on any power 5 school is an accomplishment.

And they got shellacked by Purdue without Sindelar and Rondale Moore. They are a Jekyll and Hyde team this year who's also having injury issues, similar to Purdue. Hopefully the poor Maryland team shows up or if Jackson and McFarland are back they are very rusty.

Ha! No, they aren't. McFarland was sought-after by every school in the country, is being talked about as a high-end draft prospect, and might be the most athletic RB in the country.

You do have a good point, though, that I would probably rather face an injured McFarland than his healthy backups.

Leake has certainly been more dangerous than McFarland this year. 8.5 YPC which leads the Big Ten to McFarland's 5.2 and has 149 more rushing yards on 7 fewer carries.

Top Bottom