Big Ten Head Football Salaries

Pete smith

Reaction score
Couldn’t find this listed anywhere else:

Mich. Harbaugh. 7.5. Purdue. Broom. 6.6. Penn. State. Franklin. 5.65
Northwestern. Fitzgerald. 5,1. Nebraska. Frost. 5.0. Iowa. Ferments. 4.8
O State. Day. 4.5. M. State. Dantonio. 4.4. Wisconsin. Chryst. 4.2
Illinois. Smith. 4.0. Minn. Fleck. 3.6. Maryland. Lockstep. 2.5.
Rutgers. (Ash). 2.3. Indiana. Allen. 1.8

Obviously we need to up PJ’s salary. At least more than Frost.

After Harblow bolts michigan (small M), Brohm is the highest paid. Yes PJ needs something. He's doing a lot more the Jack Frost and Jeff Broom. On and off the field.

By the way, I like the "Ferments" hit.

I am so glad Joel maturi isn’t the AD. He would say can’t afford any payraises. The stupidity of ever hiring him is beyond me.

You want great Gopher Football, do whatever it takes for PJ Fleck to want to stay here long term.

I’m curious where the money would come from to give him an offer that would compete with a blue blood program? They don’t sell out the stadium, even if they did it is one of the smaller capacity stadiums. There don’t appear to be many big boosters, as noted by the new facilities still needing to raise significant money to be paid off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I’m curious where the money would come from to give him an offer that would compete with a blue blood program? They don’t sell out the stadium, even if they did it is one of the smaller capacity stadiums. There don’t appear to be many big boosters, as noted by the new facilities still needing to raise significant money to be paid off.

Sometimes you need to max capital expenditures for the future well-being of a company or program.

If Minnesota and USC both want to hire Urban Meyer as head coach, which University would need to pay more?
It's Minnesota because we're not a perennial top 10 program.

So when you find a coach, and you think he's your best shot to transform your program, you need to go all in on that, or else you start over.

You pay the coach more and you figure out that you'll spend less on other facilities, expenses, etc., to make it work.

If you look at attendance only you're never going to pass OSU, PSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa. You need to find anther method to surpass them at it might be by "overpaying" for your coach.

Purdue is interesting since that is one of the worst jobs in the Big Ten.

Purdue is interesting since that is one of the worst jobs in the Big Ten.

Worse jobs need to over-pay for quality coaches.

Think of it this way.
You (assuming by your username) are an attractive man (Adam Levine). If you want to date a very attractive girl, you could take her on a date to Wendy's and she's going to be happy to be seen with you.

My, being somewhat troll-like in appearance, I am not a preferred date for that girl. If I want her to have a good feeling about our date and want her to stick with me longterm, I need to invest more money for a nice dinner in a dimly lit restaurant with candelight so my appearance looks more palatable.

It's not fair, but in this analogy I'm Purdue or Minnesota and you're Ohio State.
I'm going to have to pay more for that date to make sure she's happy, where you can find another high quality date if she doesn't like what you are spending.

Worse jobs need to over-pay for quality coaches.

Think of it this way.
You (assuming by your username) are an attractive man (Adam Levine). If you want to date a very attractive girl, you could take her on a date to Wendy's and she's going to be happy to be seen with you.

My, being somewhat troll-like in appearance, I am not a preferred date for that girl. If I want her to have a good feeling about our date and want her to stick with me longterm, I need to invest more money for a nice dinner in a dimly lit restaurant with candelight so my appearance looks more palatable.

It's not fair, but in this analogy I'm Purdue or Minnesota and you're Ohio State.
I'm going to have to pay more for that date to make sure she's happy, where you can find another high quality date if she doesn't like what you are spending.

Except Urban Meyer would never consider the Minnesota job, no matter the offer. Gophers can do a incentive deal with Fleck. No raise, two year extension. 500,000 for 12 wins or more, 500,000 for conference title, 500,000 Rose Bowl winner, one million national title. Tie it to actually winning something. He is not on the Michigan, USC coaching watch. This like hoops, make the tourney with a under .500 record and people think Pitino was sought after and deserving of a raise. Win something, that gets big boosters excited.

The money would come from the $52 million Big Ten conference payout which comes from the Big Ten's massive TV deal. In 2017-18 fiscal year, the gophers athletic department was 24th in the country among public schools in revenue generated with over $124 million. We were actually higher than Clemson who was 27th. Purdue was 36th and Brohm is a top 10 highest paid coach in the country.

The money would come from the $52 million Big Ten conference payout which comes from the Big Ten's massive TV deal. In 2017-18 fiscal year, the gophers athletic department was 24th in the country among public schools in revenue generated with over $124 million. We were actually higher than Clemson who was 27th. Purdue was 36th and Brohm is a top 10 highest paid coach in the country.

Bingo.

This baffles me. How LONG will this take? Wasn't Lou Nanne supposed to be (and maybe still is) the well known, community PR guy that was supposed to shake down his rich connections to help pay for this? Is Lou even involved in fund-raising? All I know is that he is always calling Barreiro from some southern climate and doesn't ever mention the fund-raising. Maybe the money will come in once we start winning big in football and gain national recognition.

This baffles me. How LONG will this take? Wasn't Lou Nanne supposed to be (and maybe still is) the well known, community PR guy that was supposed to shake down his rich connections to help pay for this? Is Lou even involved in fund-raising? All I know is that he is always calling Barreiro from some southern climate and doesn't ever mention the fund-raising. Maybe the money will come in once we start winning big in football and gain national recognition.

Your last sentence says it all. Remember Boise beating A.P. and Oklahoma in the bowl game? After that applicants went up, enrollment went up, donations went up even other sports had an uptick in recruiting. It was interesting. I know many in this town would hate to see that because they think we should be like U of Chicago and academic only but it's been proven that a good athletic program helps the whole University.

Except Urban Meyer would never consider the Minnesota job, no matter the offer. Gophers can do a incentive deal with Fleck. No raise, two year extension. 500,000 for 12 wins or more, 500,000 for conference title, 500,000 Rose Bowl winner, one million national title. Tie it to actually winning something. He is not on the Michigan, USC coaching watch. This like hoops, make the tourney with a under .500 record and people think Pitino was sought after and deserving of a raise. Win something, that gets big boosters excited.

Correct on Urban Meyer not wanting to coming here which is why you need to guarantee your coach is treated better than expected.
If suddenly Minnesota is a top 5-10 paying job, the rest of the nation would start to notice that MN is backing their program.

What you propose (incentive contract) for PJ is not going to happen. PJ would gain almost nothing in signing a contract like that and should leave if Coyle came with an insulting offer like that.
We are a top 25 program for revenue generated and therefore our coach should be in the top 25 for pay. Especially the case if he's transforming the team into a title contender. In that case it needs to be well in the top 15 because that's hard to do at Minnesota and it's better than turning over to a new unknown coach.

Last edited:

Yes. Lou was responsible for this. I haven't seen any details on what he has delivered on.

NVM....I was thinking bowl payout not TV. My mistake.

Last edited:

This isn't new money. Do you think they haven't already accounted for this and earmarked it? They've been getting it for years; it's likely counted as part of their revenue stream in order to keep others programs and things afloat.

Need to prioritize your spending.
But yes, I could see the U screwing things up.

Thank God you are not our AD because that is the worst contract idea I have ever heard. Fleck would walk away from the university if Coyle were to offer that. Go read other message boards. There are fans of other programs that want Fleck. $500,000 for 12 wins! Lol. 12 wins is worth at least $1.5m.

I think you start the negotiation at $5m and work from there. Might have to promise Fleck that his assistants will be paid too if they can settle at $5m for his personal salary.

Thank God you are not our AD because that is the worst contract idea I have ever heard. Fleck would walk away from the university if Coyle were to offer that. Go read other message boards. There are fans of other programs that want Fleck. $500,000 for 12 wins! Lol. 12 wins is worth at least $1.5m.

I think you start the negotiation at $5m and work from there. Might have to promise Fleck that his assistants will be paid too if they can settle at $5m for his personal salary.

I agree that Fleck's base salary should be bumped into the 5m/year range - I would probably also add incentives on top of that though so if he gets Minnesota to the point where we consistently compete for titles he is making closer to Blue Blood money in the ~7 million per year range.

Yes, Frost is the clear comparable here. Like Fleck, he came here after leading a group of five team to a great record. They both struggled in their first two years. Fleck's team made a bowl last year and Frost's team may make a similar bowl this year. The difference is that Frost received this salary from the beginning so PJ should make a little more to compensate for the underpayment in the first three years. I don't know if the U of M could go to 6 million but they should at least go to $5 million and $5.5 would be better.

Certainly one could argue that Frost is overpaid given the salaries of coaches below him with a longer track record of accomplishments but, just to be safe, I still think somewhere between $5 and $5.5 million would be where to go.

Fleck will get a raise after this season. How much likely depends somewhat on how the season goes after the bye week.

The threat of Fleck leaving after this season seem minimal.

If Michigan wants him, they will have him regardless of what MN offers. But MI will almost certainly look for a different type of HC.

The PAC-12 doesn’t pay as well as the Big Ten (including USC).

The SEC may have three openings, but they will all be replacing 2nd year HCs (the bottom half of the conference is where promising HCs go to die ... and fast).

Fleck will get a raise after this season. How much likely depends somewhat on how the season goes after the bye week.

The threat of Fleck leaving after this season seem minimal.

If Michigan wants him, they will have him regardless of what MN offers. But MI will almost certainly look for a different type of HC.

The PAC-12 doesn’t pay as well as the Big Ten (including USC).

The SEC may have three openings, but they will all be replacing 2nd year HCs (the bottom half of the conference is where promising HCs go to die ... and fast).

USC could still pony up for him, even if it is much more than other PAC schools are paying out at the moment.

There are only a handful of schools I think who really could make a push for Fleck, but I still would like to see him in the top 20 for overall compensation after this season as long as the wheels don't fall off.

If the rumors are true that Fleck passed on Purdue and they gave Brohm $6.6M, looks like we may have gotten Fleck on a steal. That's not to say we shouldn't now compensate him appropriately. But I think it further shows Fleck truly wants to be here and build the culture.

Tom Allen should also get a raise. If IU can knock off Neb, they could have an 8-win season.

Tom Allen should also get a raise. If IU can knock off Neb, they could have an 8-win season.

He is being obscenely underpaid for a Big Ten coach, even for a program as bad as Indiana has been for a while.

Why don't we just offer PJ $450,000 a year, and then offer incentives of $47.39 for each Big Ten win?
Then if we win the CFP, we offer him $99.99 bonus.

So Fleck is going to get a straight top 20 salary ? No chance of this happening. You have to win something to get in that club.Huge fan of Coach Fleck but lets see what the next 6 games say. I can assure you that Coyle is not putting forth a 5 MILLION a year plus contract right now. My God, at least win the West. What programs that will pay 5 million a year right now for him are clamoring for him.

So Fleck is going to get a straight top 20 salary ? No chance of this happening. You have to win something to get in that club.Huge fan of Coach Fleck but lets see what the next 6 games say. I can assure you that Coyle is not putting forth a 5 MILLION a year plus contract right now. My God, at least win the West. What programs that will pay 5 million a year right now for him are clamoring for him.

Right .... but don't you think if he does the things that you say he needs to do to earn a big payraise from us ... that those programs will be more interested in him?

Purdue is paying quite a bit more than Fleck gets .... for what? Granted, Louisville wanted him. But still ... https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ach-jeff-brohm-contract-extension/3447621002/

Looks like Brohm's original base at Purdue was $3.3M https://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/6/15/15812474/jeff-brohm-purdue-contract-bonuses-stipend

Last edited:

Why don't we just offer PJ $450,000 a year, and then offer incentives of $47.39 for each Big Ten win?
Then if we win the CFP, we offer him $99.99 bonus.

Those bonuses are on top of his 3.6 million. How do people not know that ! There are national championship coaches with huge incentive pay built in. My god, one appearance in the top 25 and we should pay him more than guys who have actually won conference titles and Rose Bowls ! Not going to happen. Coyle has a budget, we are not flush in huge profits or ahead in the booster or donation game. Now if the fan base wants to privately gift 1.5 million annually or a huge booster is so enamored he wants to create a 5-10 million annuity great. Other successful coaches have had huge annuities established for them.

Top Bottom