22. Ryan Day $4.5m
24. Dantonio $4.4m
25. Chryst $4.1m
29. Lovie Smith $4m
37. PJ Fleck $3.6m
57. Lockesly $2.5m
71. Tom Allen $1.8m (Lowest P5 coach)

Jeff Brohm coming in at 8 was very surprising

Adding $1m to PJ's salary would make us very competitive, would come in at 22 in the country and 6th in the B1G. I mean if NW has $5.1m in its budget for Fitz MN should be able to find a few $$ for PJ

I’m a big fan of Brohm - but WOW. He’s got a great agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping PJ gets in the $5M club

Thank you for posting these salaries. I would think Fleck’s in line for a million dollar bump. If he wins the B1G West, $1.5 million. I wonder how the coaches salaries compare. It won’t do much good to give PJ the cash and not be able to keep or attract a top staff.

Louisville probably happy to have Satterfield for half the price of Brohm.

Thank you for posting these salaries. I would think Fleck’s in line for a million dollar bump. If he wins the B1G West, $1.5 million. I wonder how the coaches salaries compare. It won’t do much good to give PJ the cash and not be able to keep or attract a top staff.

Kirk’s salary is certainly comparable to the other B10 schools but the rest of the staff isn’t even close to the median remuneration. Last years assistant coaching staff salaries as a whole ranked 10th of the 12 reporting schools (PSU and NW don’t observe FOIA requests). This years staff reimbursement is down ~275K, mainly due to Rossi being much less expensive than Smith. The staff as a whole would rank LAST using last years numbers, and would be 715K below the median for team salaries- an average of 71.5K per coach. Hopefully this is addressed along with PJs deserved raise should his results continue to skyrocket.

Part of what number is correct depends on how you want other fan bases to react.

I think Frost makes a logical target so you either pay Fleck $100k more than him, so Nebraska fans are upset we pay more for a coach than they do.
Or we pay Fleck $100k less so it's obvious Fleck is outperforming his contract so far in comparison to Frost.

Nebraska googles Fleck's name more than any other state (other than Minnesota) so paying comparably to Frost I think is the best option.

Honestly, I think PJ will be insulted if he doesn’t get bumped at least to the Frost range.

Depending on how the season finishes, I think he should get in the $5.1 to $6.5 million range.

Ed Orgeron just signed a 6 year $42 million dollar contract extension.

More importantly, I think PJ would see to it that his coaching staff would get a bump.

As Jerry Kill said...We (coaches) aren't worth this kind of money compared to other university/faculty members. We get it only because we bring in a lot of revenue and we're really in the entertainment business. That's honest and close to the truth.

As Jerry Kill said...We (coaches) aren't worth this kind of money compared to other university/faculty members. We get it only because we bring in a lot of revenue and we're really in the entertainment business. That's honest and close to the truth.
You just said something somewhat positive toward Kill. Buckle up...........

Last edited:

PJs last raise was started to be talked about last summer and finished before the Auburn game.

Probably in line for more this next year.

For a lot of coaches renegotiating every year to two seems par for the course.

PJs last raise was started to be talked about last summer and finished before the Auburn game.

Probably in line for more this next year.

For a lot of coaches renegotiating every year to two seems par for the course.

This. With the way PJ's buyout is structured, it's basically guaranteed that there will be a new extension this year. What's going to be equally important is continuously upping the assistant pool so that we can attract and retain the right assistant coaching talent.

This. With the way PJ's buyout is structured, it's basically guaranteed that there will be a new extension this year. What's going to be equally important is continuously upping the assistant pool so that we can attract and retain the right assistant coaching talent.
Does any coaching staff earn a percentage of the gate? I'd think that'd be a good deal for both parties. Lowers the risk for the school and increases the potential reward for the coaching staff.

Does any coaching staff earn a percentage of the gate? I'd think that'd be a good deal for both parties. Lowers the risk for the school and increases the potential reward for the coaching staff.
I've never heard of a contract like that.

Coaches get pretty solid guarantees....no need to do something that variable.

I've never heard of a contract like that.

Coaches get pretty solid guarantees....no need to do something that variable.
Why not treat a coaching staff like a CEO and management team? The CEO and upper management in firms get stock options that if they do well can become a huge part of their compensation. If they don't do well, then the options aren't worth anything. In this case, fans-in-the-stands (and the ticket price) is the equivalent of the stock price. If fans like what you're doing they'll buy tickets for the games and you'll get a slice of that revenue. If they don't come, then you lose out on that cashflow. I'm not sure we can afford to pay a coach SEC money (e.g., $7M for 6 years), but we could be a bit more innovative with the compensation package.

Why not treat a coaching staff like a CEO and management team? The CEO and upper management in firms get stock options that if they do well can become a huge part of their compensation. If they don't do well, then the options aren't worth anything. In this case, fans-in-the-stands (and the ticket price) is the equivalent of the stock price. If fans like what you're doing they'll buy tickets for the games and you'll get a slice of that revenue. If they don't come, then you lose out on that cashflow. I'm not sure we can afford to pay a coach SEC money (e.g., $7M for 6 years), but we could be a bit more innovative with the compensation package.

CEO pay seems to be a lot less variable than you make it.

CEO sucks? Here, take a golden parachute....

Jerry Kill...who honestly cares what he said. Oh and what school is he at now...? He changes his address at least once a year. Good Ole Jerry...good riddance.

Did Jerry Kill actually say this?

I know for sure he said Nick Saban earned 'every damn dime of his 6+ million salary. Seems to contradict.

Top Bottom