Not trying to troll, can someone provide a list of Fleck recruits that are performing

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
Outside of Tanner Morgan and I think Rashad Bateman, who are the obvious Fleck recruits on the offensive end, can someone tell who else Fleck has recruited that is performing well this year. I am not trying to troll. It's just kind of hard to keep up in college football when players were recruited, especially with redshirt situations, and such.

I know that guys like Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks are from the Kill-Claeys era. Also Tyler Johnson and same with Winfield Jr.

Are there any established starters outside of QB and WR that Fleck has recruited? Was Kamal Martin a Fleck recruit?

A list of standout Fleck recruits would be great.

S-Howden
DB-Benjamin St Juste
DL-Tredway
DL-Teague
DL-Mafe
DL-Otomewo
OL-Dunlap
OL-Falele
OL-John Michael Schmitz
OL-Andries
TE-Paulson
WR-Chris Autmn Bell
Wr-bateman
WR-Douglas
QB-Morgan

Any rsJR or any Senior (besides transfers) are Flecks kids

edit: non rsJR/Senior

Last edited:

S-Howden
DB-Benjamin St Juste
DL-Tredway
DL-Teague
DL-Mafe
DL-Otomewo
OL-Dunlap
OL-Falele
OL-John Michael Schmitz
OL-Andries
TE-Paulson
WR-Chris Autmn Bell
Wr-bateman
WR-Douglas
QB-Morgan

Any rsJR or any Senior (besides transfers) are Flecks kids

You beat me to the list. Add Ibrahim on offense.

Morgan
Autman-Bell
Bateman
Ibrahim
Paulsen
Faalele
Dunlap
John Michael-Schmitz
Spann-Ford

Plus Blaise although he originally committed to Claeys but signed under Fleck.

His first class (2017) was a bit cobbled together quickly after his hiring

Blaise Andries (I think committed to Claeys but Fleck retained/signed him)
Demetrius Douglas
CAB
JM Schmitz
Mohamed Ibrahim

Dunlap
Faalele

Then there's some guys that have been depth but show promise Mafe, Otomewo, Teague, TSmith, BSF, Bryce Williams, Oliver, Rush

Also transfers. OJ, St Juste, Dew Treadway

let's remember the starting kicker and holder Lantz and Weeks are freshmen

let's remember the starting kicker and holder Lantz and Weeks are freshmen

havent' exactly been a bright spot.......

overall roster depth is improved, we do have some good cary overs from the "empire" class

Olson and Schlueter were on the roster. Andries was verbally committed here when he got here.

Fleck (and "walk-on" Annexstad) brought in Dunlap and Andries.

Fleck brought in John Michael Schmitz from his WMU commitment group.

Chris Autman Bell was in that group that flipped from WMU as well.

Fleck capitalized on the Omar Douglas connection and went out to Oregon and got Demetrius Douglas to flip his commitment.

Kieft and Witham were on the roster. Fleck brought in Paulson from Louisville who they had on radar while at WMU. Same with last year star Mo Ibrahim.

Fleck brought in BrevynSpannFord in his second class as was Bryce Williams.

Seth was on roster.

Herbers was here. Ryerse was verbal. He brought in Lantz and Weeks.

On defense, Fleck brought in grad transfers Williamson, DewTreadway, and St Juste.

In his second class, he made a late add of Howden. Winfield was here. Durr, Kiondre, Phil Howard were here. T Smith was a year two Fleck recruit.

Renner, DeLattiboudere, Coughlin, Barber, Martin, Devers, were here. Mafe was leaning to verbal here when Fleck arrived, I believe.

Schad, Teague, Otomewo, SoriMarin, Rush, Oliver are all Fleck recruits.

2015 Class (Kill)
This class went through a lot of attrition but these guys remain andcontribute.

Shannon Brooks
Winston DeLattibourdere
Bryce Witham

2016 Class (Kill / Claeys)
Very good class.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

2017 Class (Kill-Claeys / Fleck)
Andries - Kill/Claeys
Grant Ryerse - Kill/Claeys

(Not sure who else were Kill/Claeys. Would need to check on their commit date. Any commits dates of 2016 would likely be Claeys and Kill with most being 2017 (Fleck)
https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2017-Football/Commits/

2018 was Fleck's first (year full of recruiting at U of M class). Those guys are redshirt Freshman or pure Sophomores (Faalele) at this point.

I count about 30 of Fleck's recruits that have played in 6 or 7 games this year. That includes special teams obviously.

Last edited:

2015 Class (Kill)
This class went through a lot of attrition but these guys remain andcontribute.

Shannon Brooks
Winston DeLattibourdere
Bryce Witham

2016 Class (Kill / Claeys)
Very good class.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

2017 Class (Kill-Claeys / Fleck)
Andries - Kill/Claeys
Grant Ryerse - Kill/Claeys

(Not sure who else were Kill/Claeys. Would need to check on their commit date. Any commits dates of 2016 would likely be Claeys and Kill with most being 2017 (Fleck)
https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2017-Football/Commits/

2018 was Fleck's first (year full of recruiting at U of M class). Those guys are redshirt Freshman or pure Sophomores (Faalele) at this point.

2017 class Fleck didn't honor any non MN commits iirc and replaced them with his wmu recruits

Some players including Demry Croft transferred out or graduated early making room for additional Fleck recruits.

2017 class Fleck didn't honor any non MN commits iirc and replaced them with his wmu recruits

He honored their commitment originally but they for the most part haven’t worked out. Dominic London among others. There’s others like the kid from Marshall, he was a baseball player also. Highly ranked Grant Ryerse still on team and hasn’t done much outside of KO’s, Nathan Bursch was a TE coming in he ended up Oline not sure if he’s still around.

Last edited:

Drew Hmielewski. IIRC, he had an injury that sidelined him for awhile and he decided to play baseball instead. He is an Outfielder for the Gophers Baseball Team.

I'm not a troll. i am a huge Fleck fan in terms of the culture he has brought and the on-the-field coaching. the one area where i am ignorant/unfamiliar is the recruiting trail.. i know i could look up his recruiting rankings, but (a) those are projections and (b) he's had 2 full classes that have had the opportunity to play. was just wondering which players were those and how they were doing.

EDIT: i mostly post on the bball board, but if you recognize my username, you know that i am a staunch defender of Gophers coaches.

Last edited:

Outside of Tanner Morgan and I think Rashad Bateman, who are the obvious Fleck recruits on the offensive end, can someone tell who else Fleck has recruited that is performing well this year. I am not trying to troll. It's just kind of hard to keep up in college football when players were recruited, especially with redshirt situations, and such.

I know that guys like Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks are from the Kill-Claeys era. Also Tyler Johnson and same with Winfield Jr.

Are there any established starters outside of QB and WR that Fleck has recruited? Was Kamal Martin a Fleck recruit?

A list of standout Fleck recruits would be great.

Actually the list is shorter of the guys who are playing that were not Flecks. I hear this line of questioning a lot and truth is yes there are seniors playing well for the team however more non seniors are the base of the team the seniors are the icing on top! once gone and the team still does well I dont knwo what anti-Fleck (non Gopher fans) will complain about

Actually the list is shorter of the guys who are playing that were not Flecks. I hear this line of questioning a lot and truth is yes there are seniors playing well for the team however more non seniors are the base of the team the seniors are the icing on top! once gone and the team still does well I dont knwo what anti-Fleck (non Gopher fans) will complain about

jfc, i am not complaining. i was genuinely curious! didn't even know there was a "anti-Fleck" narrative around this... it's inherent in college sports that fans will be more familiar with 3rd and 4th year players than they would the younger guys, considering the upperclassman have been around longer and likely see the field more. It just so happens that many of the upper classmen were not Fleck's. I follow other sports beyond Gophers Football (go check the Basketball Board if you want to know where my loyalties lie; i am a staunch Pitino defender, and support Fleck just as hard) and therefore i don't keep up much with recruiting in terms of the football team.

i am a huge Fleck fan. think he has led this team in a way that few coaches could have. again, was just curious how his recruits were doing. For whatever it's worth, i know/knew who Benjamin St-Juste is and the D-Lineman we got from Notre Dame because they have stood out and have googled them (plus they have gotten media attention). Football rosters are really big and i don't have the time to google every single person on it.

jfc, i am not complaining. i was genuinely curious! didn't even know there was a "anti-Fleck" narrative around this... it's inherent in college sports that fans will be more familiar with 3rd and 4th year players than they would the younger guys, considering the upperclassman have been around longer and likely see the field more. It just so happens that many of the upper classmen were not Fleck's. I follow other sports beyond Gophers Football (go check the Basketball Board if you want to know where my loyalties lie; i am a staunch Pitino defender, and support Fleck just as hard) and therefore i don't keep up much with recruiting in terms of the football team.

i am a huge Fleck fan. think he has led this team in a way that few coaches could have. again, was just curious how his recruits were doing. For whatever it's worth, i know/knew who Benjamin St-Juste is and the D-Lineman we got from Notre Dame because they have stood out and have googled them (plus they have gotten media attention). Football rosters are really big and i don't have the time to google every single person on it.

Don't sweat it. There are a lot of sensitive people on this board.

Actually the list is shorter of the guys who are playing that were not Flecks. I hear this line of questioning a lot and truth is yes there are seniors playing well for the team however more non seniors are the base of the team the seniors are<b> the icing on top! </b>once gone and the team still does well I dont knwo what anti-Fleck (non Gopher fans) will complain about

Just the icing. smh

RS1, SB4, TJ6, AWjr11, CD16, SG17, KM21, TB41, CC45, BA77

EDIT: I named major Kill/Claeys recruits, not seniors in the original spirit of this thread.

Last edited:

Just the icing. smh

EDIT: I named major Kill/Claeys recruits, not seniors in the original spirit of this thread.

I'd agree we have some core guys from prior regime, not sure why you're so miffed by choice of words

I'd agree we have some core guys from prior regime, not sure why you're so miffed by choice of words

What do you think the point of the post I responded to was? That is what I’m miffed by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the icing. smh

I could be off base but maybe OP is wondering who has come in as a young guy and blown our socks off early on as underclassmen or even freshmen like Winfield, Brooks. The others guys listed above were promising but didn’t really explode until a little later on (eg CC as a junior, KM as a senior, TJ as a junior, CD as a senior.

I’d say early impact guys from PJF that we could tell would be playmakers from the very first game or games include Morgan, Bateman, Ibrahim, T. Smith, JMS, Faalele, OJ Smith, CAB, Mafe, and several others. There are others that look promising but maybe aren’t quite impact players yet. I’d put Oliver in that group and he’s going to have his time to shine as soon as this week.

I could be off base but maybe OP is wondering who has come in as a young guy and blown our socks off early on as underclassmen or even freshmen like Winfield, Brooks. The others guys listed above were promising but didn’t really explode until a little later on (eg CC as a junior, KM as a senior, TJ as a junior, CD as a senior.

I’d say early impact guys from PJF that we could tell would be playmakers from the very first game or games include Morgan, Bateman, Ibrahim, T. Smith, JMS, Faalele, OJ Smith, CAB, Mafe, and several others. There are others that look promising but maybe aren’t quite impact players yet. I’d put Oliver in that group and he’s going to have his time to shine as soon as this week.

That’s fine. I don’t think there is much debate that PJ is a better recruiter. Even I can see that just by watching the kids play.
I only commented in this thread in response to yet another post trying to diminish the impact previous coaches have had on this year’s success - and then the inevitable follow up by someone else who apparently couldn’t see that.

What do you think the point of the post I responded to was? That is what I’m miffed by.

It's not mutually exclusive to be happy with holdovers and happy with new direction. I'm sorry you're miffed you feel prior staff isn't getting their due

That’s fine. I don’t think there is much debate that PJ is a better recruiter. Even I can see that just by watching the kids play.
I only commented in this thread in response to yet another post trying to diminish the impact previous coaches have had on this year’s success - and then the inevitable follow up by someone else who apparently couldn’t see that.

Oh, I agree and outside of (maybe) Tyler I’m not sure who is a slam dunk replacement for a lot of those guys. That’s an impressive group of impact players.

I dunno, no one seems to get too wound up when Brewster's impact on Kill's third season is diminished. I've never heard of a good football team that didn't have significant contributions from players that have been in the program for 4+ years.

I dunno, no one seems to get too wound up when Brewster's impact on Kill's third season is diminished.

I’ll be honest, I don’t remember all those threads doing this. Clearly you do or you wouldn’t have made this claim. Do you have a link for me?

I’ll be honest, I don’t remember all those threads doing this. Clearly you do or you wouldn’t have made this claim. Do you have a link for me?

Not a specific link, but the narrative seems to be that Brew left the cupboard bare and savior Jerry restored the program.

Top Bottom