Sources: Harbaugh eyeing exit strategy

die hard gopher

Reaction score

Sources tell FootballScoop that Harbaugh’s representatives have their eye on getting their client back in the NFL.

Last edited:

Not until we get PJ Fleck locked up long term!

I think he's a really good coach. I really liked him at Stanford. I'm not sure whether to believe the tweet or not...

I think he's a really good coach. I really liked him at Stanford. I'm not sure whether to believe the tweet or not...

Football Scoop is generally pretty reliable. They've been right on the PJ news and all the assistance he's hired.

With Beilema exiting the Big 10, I thought Harbaugh would be the next guy to really dislike.
Jim has let me down. His teams are above average, but they haven't been spectacular. He has never said anything disparaging about our team, the Jug rivalry, or even our coach. Mostly, he comes off as a little weird.
Go ahead Jim. Be the new Falcons coach. Meatchicken needs to spice it up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

With Ohio State dominating that division and Michigan's (now) high academic standards, I'm guessing that job is not what it used to be.

Harbaugh always looks/acts like a guy that was just awakened with smelling salts after getting bonked on the head in a Gilligan's Island episode.

I believe it. For whatever reason, he can’t get the players at Michigan he needs to beat Ohio St. And if you can’t beat Ohio St — which in of itself is a huge part of the job at Michigan — it’s also gonna be tough against Penn St and even Mich St, and you aren’t going to win the Big Ten and go to the CFP.

The obvious question/concern: would they target Fleck?

Does he have any real affinity for the state of Michigan and/or the program in Ann Arbor, based on his time at WMU??

I believe it. For whatever reason, he can’t get the players at Michigan he needs to beat Ohio St. And if you can’t beat Ohio St — which in of itself is a huge part of the job at Michigan — it’s also gonna be tough against Penn St and even Mich St, and you aren’t going to win the Big Ten and go to the CFP.

The obvious question/concern: would they target Fleck?

Does he have any real affinity for the state of Michigan and/or the program in Ann Arbor, based on his time at WMU??

I believe both his kids and Heather's kids live in Michigan and Heather is from Michigan. And last fiscal year Michigan athletics made 55% more revenue than we did so on paper, they'd be able to offer him 55% more than whatever we could offer.

I'm not saying they will offer him or that PJ would take the job but I'll feel a lot more comfortable when we lock him with a long term extension.

How do oars look on a Wolverine helmet?

Reusse poisoned the well by picking on Heather. The Michigan angle is an interesting one that is a direct threat to losing PJ Fleck. The questions is, how pressure will there be to produce right away?

IMHO, with the U he has better longevity to establish his own legacy for the long term. Michigan will always be a pressure cooker job.

Reusse poisoned the well by picking on Heather. The Michigan angle is an interesting one that is a direct threat to losing PJ Fleck. The questions is, how pressure will there be to produce right away?

IMHO, with the U he has better longevity to establish his own legacy for the long term. Michigan will always be a pressure cooker job.

Uh oh. The Michigan job sounds like something PJ would eat for breakfast.

I'm sure the Meechigan faithful would love oars on their helmet. I don't believe PJ will even get a sniff.

PJ Fleck is a threat to leave at some point, for somewhere. My hope is that: (a) he's committed to what he is building at Minnesota; and (b) he gets paid in a major way to keep him here. Beyond that, he's a young guy and, after about 10 years, I would not be at all surprised (or disappointed...commitment fulfilled) if he moved on.

Pretty sure there's a coaching vacancy an hour away from where his brother coaches.

Eh...not happening. Can you imagine him and Dan Snyder lasting long? Powder keg and match.

I'd like to see Denver take a run at him.

If this trend continues and it will, it will be time to lock PJ up long term. If the Gophers are serious, 5 million/year is reasonable. They need to add a poison pill for any school trying to steal him. Broom gets 6.5. Frost 5 per year. I think that PJ has proven his value more than those two have. The lack of a quality head coach has held this program back for decades. ( Kill and Mason were above average, but not exceptional.)

PJ Fleck is a threat to leave at some point, for somewhere. My hope is that: (a) he's committed to what he is building at Minnesota; and (b) he gets paid in a major way to keep him here. Beyond that, he's a young guy and, after about 10 years, I would not be at all surprised (or disappointed...commitment fulfilled) if he moved on.
Let's face it PJ is building his resume here and in the end it's all about the money period.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Anything over 5 mil per yr and PJ has to promise to stop burning timeouts.

PJ is not leaving Minnesota! All this sky is falling crap on PJ leaving is paranoid individuals! PJ wants to build his team here his way! We are allowing him to do that!

I believe both his kids and Heather's kids live in Michigan and Heather is from Michigan. And last fiscal year Michigan athletics made 55% more revenue than we did so on paper, they'd be able to offer him 55% more than whatever we could offer.

I'm not saying they will offer him or that PJ would take the job but I'll feel a lot more comfortable when we lock him with a long term extension.

I think their fans will want a big name.

Maybe an Alabama/Clemson coordinator or an NFL coach?

Let's face it PJ is building his resume here and in the end it's all about the money period.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I'm going with this. ^^^. I believe what PJ said at the time of the hire was sincere. Minnesota is a sleeping giant, and he is here for the long haul.

We've got the school, facilities, AD, and sports conscious president that is needed. The U of M will take care of Coach Fleck.

EDIT: I misread the quoted post... I feel that it is not ALL about the money.... but the money will come as it is earned and DUE.

I think their fans will want a big name.

Maybe an Alabama/Clemson coordinator or an NFL coach?

A coordinator from Clemson or Bama would not be a bigger name than Fleck. Locksley was not a bigger hire for Maryland than Fleck was and someone like Brent Venables at Clemson would not be a bigger hire than Fleck.

I’d guess they’d probably hire a G5 coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Bottom